Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2016 11:34:44 AM EDT

https://youtu.be/MNstUiau-Xw

10mm Crossfire 140gr Black Max solid copper hollow point (1,500 fps) fired from 4.5" bbl EAA Witness into CATI level IIIA soft armor. You know the drill. Don't cheat.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I was surprised. I was all proud of myself for approximating what the pros do (albeit in dramatically less detail) and it turns out that the clay was unnecessary.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes?  Off to watch the video.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I say it'll stop it, but barely..

Now to watch.

Placeholder for outcome... WAS SURPRISED!
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to say no... Now to watch the video
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I was surprised. I was all proud of myself for approximating what the pros do (albeit in dramatically less detail) and it turns out that the clay was unnecessary.
View Quote

The clay is so that blunt force trauma can be assessed.

Way back when soft armor was made that could stop darn near anything.

With enough layers it works.

The problem was quickly noted that the blunt force trauma was going to be very bad.

Hit the sternum hard enough and bad things happen to the heart.
Like it pops apart.

Plates are large enough to spread the blow out over a larger area.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#7]
You'll pardon me for trusting Dr. Roberts in this matter, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#8]
No surprise here.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Shoot it again, recheck the results.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually have measured data for a number of rounds on soft body armor.

It is NOT something to talked about in public.

Much of it is "propriety" and cannot be reveled in private either.

I CAN say it is technology driven down to how the Kevlar fibers have been manufactured.

How to make a real 'metal loaded' ceramic plate is not available either.

How the metal gets in their is NOT the way 'normal' folks would think.

Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If defeating body armor were my goal, hand loaded 5.7 using ss109 projectiles would be where I would be looking.

I used to work for an Armored car company. We would take the old doors off and shoot them with various handgun rounds to give the crews confidence.

We never showed what high velocity rounds did to the same doors and vest.

the greater concern for a man wearing a vest..... is either a man with an ice pick or one who shoots you in both legs and follows up with head shot. Low tech solution. Street proven.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If defeating body armor were my goal, hand loaded 5.7 using ss109 projectiles would be where I would be looking.

I used to work for an Armored car company. We would take the old doors off and shoot them with various handgun rounds to give the crews confidence.

We never showed what high velocity rounds did to the same doors and vest.

the greater concern for a man wearing a vest..... is either a man with an ice pick or one who shoots you in both legs and follows up with head shot. Low tech solution. Street proven.
View Quote
That won't work very well. SS109 won't stabilize very well in 5.7. A standard 55gr FMJ at 1000 fps will work just fine for level IIIA though. Or if you go fast, 2000fps or higher will work 
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I remembered seeing a video of a 9mm civil defense round made by liberty ammo, that would penetrate body armor can't remember what level it was. But it zipped through like butter...
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Incredible High Velocity Pistol Ammo! Liberty 50gr Civil Defense vs NIJ lvl IIA ***DEMONETIZED***

https://youtu.be/wpPB8N_AVN4
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I remembered seeing a video of a 9mm civil defense round made by liberty ammo, that would penetrate body armor can't remember what level it was. But it zipped through like butter...
View Quote
Typically happens with close to standard level IIIA. IT was Spartan Armor in one video, but when I tested it against a Level IIIA hybrid from AR500a, I needed the EVO barrel to get it to penetrate. It was stopped cold by Highcom's STP plate.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:33:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember seeing a video on how 10mm defeated bullet proof glass. They used the Underwood Penetrator 10mm rounds I believe. Wonder if they used those 10mm rounds on body armor if it would defeat it...

Boom found a video of them using this ammo on body armor, yep went through the body armor, ha. Skip to 1:31 on the video to see it.

I need to get some of this awesome ammo, ya know just in case regular hollow points don't do it

Extreme Penetrator OR Extreme Pretender? 10mm Lehigh Exteme Penetrator Gel And Amor Test
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#17]
That was a level IIA vest. Lehigh is still gimmick bullshit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top