Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2016 10:16:55 AM EDT
I am working up a few 45acp loads using 200 gr lswc bullets. I just started using the CFE pistol powder.
According to the load data you can get some pretty good load speed even with just the starting loads.
Does anyone have some data on penetration test with a 45 cal 200 lswc traveling at 1000 fps? Seems to be a simple defensive load
using a cheap bullet. I like the idea of using the same load for pinking and self defense. I am going to load up a quick 2 boxes and try them out in
my 1911 and glock 21 (glock has the lonewolf barrel.) If it works out good I may end up with a g30 for ccw.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably would make a good defensive load.  Go ahead, flame on me for saying that.

I have shot more of the 200 gr LSWC than I can remember in 1911 pistols.   A number of coyotes have fallen to that round. We would call them in close, hit them right on the front shoulder and DRT.  1000 fps was my hunting load for that round, for gun games I kept them at 875.  

That said, I carry 230 gr HST in my EDC.

And about penetration, the coyotes were nearly all complete pass thrus.   When I was living in the sticks, the main county road saw a lot of deer and elk wintering in that valley, thus a lot of animals hit.  Twice I have stopped to help
the drivers after they hit deer.  Once the deer was in the ditch, looked like a broken back cause she was only using her front legs.   This was a big, 300 lb deer.  One round from 10', right between the ears from behind with my 200 gr  got full penetration, probably 14" of tissue and bone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top