Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2016 11:12:41 AM EDT
Did a search for Winchester, Forged, Steel Case, and combinations of the three. Didn't find any dupes.

This stuff started to show up in my AO.

Steel case, made in USA, Winchester 115gr 9mm.

25-30 bucks for a box of 150.

Is this GTG or junk?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, reliability doesn't seem to be a problem, just that it's nasty.

May have to try some for plinking.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
At $25 ... OK.

At $30 bucks well you can find brass for that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#5]
It works, ive shot probably ~500rds of it. Functions reliably in my guns but bad nasty. I ran it through my MPX and only got through one mag due to the crap it spit back in my face.

The price is decent, but for the money I would rather buy Federal aluminum or Tula for roughly the same price. Shot plenty of both of those with none of the issues of this Win Forged.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're going to come out with a steel cased ammo you better try to be cost competitive with other steel cased ammo.  Especially if it's going to run dirty on top of all that.  I'd guess it's rebadged foreign ammo of some kind.  I'll still to my Bear ammo.

Edit-They claim it's manuf in the US.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I ran an entire box of 150 through my P 30 SK. No malfs.

It crapped a bunch of black shit all over my right arm, but the gun itself doesn't seem any dirtier.

Accuracy is no different then any other cheap ammunition I've used in the gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At $25 ... OK.

At $30 bucks well you can find brass for that.
View Quote

I buy most my ammo online and get tula under .18cpr. Localy perfecta was the cheapest but now WM isnt carrying it. At $28 it is the cheapest option to buy in person.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Marginally cheaper than TulAmmo here, but you might be able to get steel online cheaper. It's definitely US made, it's even boxer primed - and I have reloaded the cases just for the hell of it. The bullets are also copper jacketed instead of bimetal.

It doesn't seem dirty to me (to run) but it is dirty to handle - because the cases are coated in graphite.

Some of my double stack mags don't like to feed the rougher steel cases, but they handle the graphite coated cases fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're going to come out with a steel cased ammo you better try to be cost competitive with other steel cased ammo.  Especially if it's going to run dirty on top of all that.  I'd guess it's rebadged foreign ammo of some kind.  I'll still to my Bear ammo.

Edit-They claim it's manuf in the US.

Marginally cheaper than TulAmmo here, but you might be able to get steel online cheaper. It's definitely US made, it's even boxer primed - and I have reloaded the cases just for the hell of it. The bullets are also copper jacketed instead of bimetal.

It doesn't seem dirty to me (to run) but it is dirty to handle - because the cases are coated in graphite.

Some of my double stack mags don't like to feed the rougher steel cases, but they handle the graphite coated cases fine.

Gotcha.  That last point is why I've mostly switched to the laquer coated brown bear for my steel cased stuff.  The laquer seems to feed smoother in my AR and my GLOCK.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I like shooting it just because of the steel case and its magnetic so I can pick it up easily at the range with my big magnet. I have been stockpiling the federal aluminum for the indoor range, that way I don't have to feel guilty about not picking it up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:48:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I ran an entire box of 150 through my P 30 SK. No malfs.

It crapped a bunch of black shit all over my right arm, but the gun itself doesn't seem any dirtier.

Accuracy is no different then any other cheap ammunition I've used in the gun.
View Quote

That alone is why I don't like shooting it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Its dirtier and less accurate than tulammo, but the bullet is non-magnetic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#14]
The copper jacketed, non steel bullet is good and shoots pretty accurately in my Glocks.

It seems to be fairly light and recoils less than even Fed Aluminum. I have not chrono'd any of the Forged ammo but I suspect that it is on the slow side.

It's actually good ammo but it is filthy to handle. Your fingers will turn black after loading a mag or two.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Someone should label brass as 'cold forged.'

And add 'heat treated' or 'annealed.'

Howe about 'heat treated cold forged brass'?

The Bovine Scatology (AKA 'advertising puffery') is getting thicker and thicker.

Make sure you wear boots.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Should be GTG.  Steel cased .45 ACP was used during WWII when metals were a scarce commodity.  It will just be dirtier then brass as steel will not expand to seal the chamber as well as brass, will get carbon build up in chamber. I would have no problem using it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#17]
As long as 9mm brass can be purchased in 50 gallon drums, I refuse to use steel, aluminum, or mystery metal cases in my firearms.

While I respect those who do......I really appreciate the guys at the local range who shoot hundreds of rounds of factory ammo and leave the brass on the ground for the next guy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I've shot it, meh. Better than their WWB line though, minus it not being brass cased
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I have shot over a thousand rounds with only one hard primer, failure to fire on the first hit, until today. I took my nephew shooting, first time for him. Not sure if it was the fact that the pistol was already really dirty, him limp wristing it, low power ammo, or a combo of the above, but he started having the slide fail to go into battery after the first mag. Switched to federal brass cased stuff, my CZ75 ran like a champ after that.

I will still buy and shoot it though, $28 per 150 locally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top