Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2016 8:08:44 AM EDT
I recently purchased a single-stack 4013, which came with 500 rounds of Speer Lawman 180-grain TMJ [53652].

I'll be using the ball ammo for range practice, and would like to purchase some additional 180-grain hollowpoints for carry. Which Federal 180-grain .40 JHP cartridge is the best performer, and which matches the ballistics of the Lawman ball?

HST? Hydra-Shok? Hy-Shok?

ETA: Is there another manufacturer's JHP which will match the ballistics of the Lawman round, and also offers excellent performance as a carry round?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Lawman is the ballistic equivalent for the Gold Dot line, so 180gr GD should match it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I was hoping to find a ballistic equivalent in Federal's lineup. Hy-Shok in particular is quite inexpensive {less than $325 for a thousand-round case).

I may have to go with Gold Dots, though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Typically, Speer tries to pair their Gold Dot LE rounds with the Lawman TMJ for practice.  Look at Speer GDHP 180gr .40 S&W as possibly the closest match to your Lawman practice rounds.  Here are the charts from Speer (GDHP on top, Lawman TMJ on the bottom, both 180gr.  Not a perfect match, but pretty darn close.  If you are practicing inside of 50 yards, there are very little differences.

ETA: Added the chart for Federal HST .40S&W 180 gr.  I think this round is a slightly better match

You can find this data here
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, I can send you a box of HST to test alongside your range ammo.

(I currently don't have a .40sw gun)
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Typically, Speer tries to pair their Gold Dot LE rounds with the Lawman TMJ for practice.  Look at Speer GDHP 180gr .40 S&W as possibly the closest match to your Lawman practice rounds.  Here are the charts from Speer (GDHP on top, Lawman TMJ on the bottom, both 180gr.  Not a perfect match, but pretty darn close.  If you are practicing inside of 50 yards, there are very little differences.

ETA: Added the chart for Federal HST .40S&W 180 gr.  I think this round is a slightly better match
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag331/Linc5870/Speer%20Compare_zpsxfhjdmxn.jpg

You can find this data here
View Quote
Came to post this exact thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was hoping to find a ballistic equivalent in Federal's lineup. Hy-Shok in particular is quite inexpensive {less than $325 for a thousand-round case).

View Quote

Speer, Federal, and CCI are all owned by ATK.  They interchange cartridge parts.  CCI primers are used by all three.

So if you desire Federal but not Speer, I must ask you "why?"
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#7]
To answer your question, Federals best defensive ammo is the HST 180 gr for .40 S&W.  Hydra-shok is 1980s technology and no where near as effective as the HST round.  The hydrashok is cheaper, but for a reason.  No law enforcement agencies I have seen in the last 10 years use hyrdashok anymore.  Most departments use HST in 9mm or .40, or they use Winchester Ranger in 9mm or .40.

I would spend a little more money and get the HST if you want to stick with Federal.   But Federal HST, Speer GD, Winchester Ranger, and Hornady Critical Duty are all top shelf defensive rounds in 9mm or .40.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll take you up on your offer. I've sent you an IM.

I'll also plan on posting the results of a side-by-side comparison; should be interesting.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'll also plan on posting the results of a side-by-side comparison; should be interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Replied. No worries.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out massammo for their .40 hst offering
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

180 grain Gold Dots are far superior in ballistic gel tests than the antiquated Hy-Shok rounds. Street wise, you really can't go wrong with Gold Dot's for carry. I carried 180 grain Gold Dot's and 180 gr HST's interchangeably for 5+ years until I switched back to 9mm. I use 147gr Gold Dots and 147gr HST's interchangeably as well. All are formidable loadings...
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#12]
OP? Are your IMs on?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top