Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2016 6:28:05 AM EDT
So I normally store my ammo loose in metal ammo cans, with a desiccant pack in there just to be safe. Lately I have been storing them in the same cans, but in plastic bags with a quantity written on them, just so I can tell roughly how many I have at a quick glance.

Any issues with the plastic over time? Should I put a separate desiccant pack in each bag or one in the can still good enough?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll be fine. Been doing the same for years.
One of those packs in the can will be enough.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it's better in plastic bags.

I used to loosely store my brass cased ammo in ammo cans until the bottom ones started to corrode and get light rust.

If it's factory ammo that comes in their boxes, leave them in the boxes.

Are you storing steel cased or brass ammo?
View Quote
I leave the factory in their boxes but my reloads I just dump ijn the cans, close the lid and use as needed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Are you storing steel cased or brass ammo?
View Quote

This is brass cased, the stuff I plan on running at training courses for the year. Im not against keeping them in the boxes, I can just cram more in there loose.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Should I put a separate desiccant pack in each bag
View Quote

Likely not needed but I have enough extra that I would.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Dump it in the ammo can and don't worry about it.  

Tear off the lot number from one of the individual boxes and put it in the can or tape it to the lid on the off chance there's an issue with the ammo down the road.

Forget the desiccant and spend the money on ammo.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I put mine on stripper clips, then 100 rounds in a zip lock freezer bag, then put the bags in the can. Never used desicant but then I've never left them in cans long. I think just keeping the brass off of the bottom of the can is enough. A cardboard box on the bottom of the can works too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tear off the lot number from one of the individual boxes and put it in the can or tape it to the lid on the off chance there's an issue with the ammo down the road.

View Quote

I do the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do keep the lot numbers, and throw it each Ziploc bag in case I ever run into issues down the road.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:18:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I put mine on stripper clips, then 100 rounds in a zip lock freezer bag, then put the bags in the can. Never used desicant but then I've never left them in cans long. I think just keeping the brass off of the bottom of the can is enough. A cardboard box on the bottom of the can works too.
View Quote

I have always put cardboard in the bottom of my cans too, I figure its easy protection just in case and the cardboard is free anyway.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Most of my ammo cans are plastic. They're plenty durable and way cheaper.

As far as storage it depends. I do a mix of things.  Some are filled loose with a single type of handload, others are separated by type in individual plastic storage boxes in a larger can.

I like to reuse the boxes my bullets come in so I fill them up with whatever JHP/OTM reload etc then seal it with packing tape so I don't get tempted to shoot it. Then I have those sealed packs in a can.

Then I have a metal can with 20 loaded mags in it of M855/M193 and my 75gr reloads. The other 5.56 can has a gallon ziploc full then 200 75gr OTM on stripper clips.

I guess since this is handguns I could've just said I keep my factory pistol JHPs in factory boxes in a can lol.

So yeah...depends
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Most of my ammo cans are plastic. They're plenty durable and way cheaper.

As far as storage it depends. I do a mix of things.  Some are filled loose with a single type of handload, others are separated by type in individual plastic storage boxes in a larger can.

I like to reuse the boxes my bullets come in so I fill them up with whatever JHP/OTM reload etc then seal it with packing tape so I don't get tempted to shoot it. Then I have those sealed packs in a can.

Then I have a metal can with 20 loaded mags in it of M855/M193 and my 75gr reloads. The other 5.56 can has a gallon ziploc full then 200 75gr OTM on stripper clips.

I guess since this is handguns I could've just said I keep my factory pistol JHPs in factory boxes in a can lol.

So yeah...depends
View Quote

No worries man, I like to see what everyone does. I normally keep my AR ammo on stripper clips in ammo cans for easier loading at the range. And my steel rifle stuff just gets thrown in loose and blasted whenever I cant/don't feel like picking up the brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top