Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2016 4:50:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey! Very good video and great work.  Thanks for doing this.  Helpful.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Very well done..!!

Thank you for your time and efforts!

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Great work man.  Very well done video by both you and your brother.  Solid information!
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Completely unexpected result.

Maybe I'll have to buy a few cases of Tulammo and document the reliability and if it damages the extractor or barrel on my G19. That stuff is dirt cheap.

Thanks for the test!
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Good overview of all those types.  I shoot a lot of Brownbear and my cases are pretty much all one color though.  Where as Monarch has a variety of different shades on their coatings.  Wonder if they sell the "leftovers" from their batch testing to Academy as "Monarch".  Though I've fired a lot of the Monarch as well and had no issues.  The light primer strikes make me think that your firing pin spring may be a bit on the weak side.  How many rounds would you guess do you have though your pistol?  When I had FTFs with Brown Bear in my primary AR15 I traced it to a weak hammer spring which I replaced with a stock one and it's worked great since.

Off topic-  What kind of radio are you running there?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice.  Yeah the Russians must like tough primers.  For what it's worth I run Brown Bear branded Brown Bear and out of 2 to 3000 rounds of it though my G17 I've had no issues with it in any aspect.  Works well.  Does chrono fast though I had close to or just over 1400 FPS with it in the desert on a hot day.

Thanks for putting in the effort to make the video it's a good comparison.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:50:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Really neat video!

Years ago I decided to test some lacquered 9mm WOLF (Tula manufactured) in my Glock to see if there were problems with the lacquer coating. Out of 1K I had only 10 rounds fail to fire. I felt that was acceptable for cheap shooting fodder. I've also shot approx 500 rounds of the WOLF Military Classic (made by Ulyanovsk) with zero problems and 1K of S&B's Range Safe brass plated steel case (9mm) again with zero problems. The Range Safe stuff was top notch IMO. Wish I had bought more when I had the chance since the Range Safe isn't made anymore and what's still available is unreasonably priced for steel cased range ammo. (I'm still holding onto my 1K of Norinco 124FMJ stuff which I found to be excellent shooting fodder back in the early 90's when it was close to $5 a box).
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#10]
People hate all over Tula, but I shoot a lot of it through all my guns. Its pretty accurate actually, and I haven't had any issues with failures, etc.

If youre looking for something else to try, Winchester now makes a steel cased ammo if you can find it at WalMart. Dirt cheap, and runs good in all of my stuff.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Good real world testing....
I have a few boxes of tula but have been unable to shoot it cause no indoor range by me will allow steal jacketed ammo.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Odd the velocity difference from the WOLF and Brown Bear since they are both made by Barnaul in the same factory with on different case coatings. Must vary from lot to lot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Odd the velocity difference from the WOLF and Brown Bear since they are both made by Barnaul in the same factory with on different case coatings. Must vary from lot to lot.
View Quote

I get very similar velocities from my Brown Bear and Silver Bear ammo out of my G17.  SO I don't think it's just a lot thing.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool test, thanks for posting
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#15]
All your observations mostly line up with mine.  I am a virtually steel-case-only GLOCK shooter (except for carry ammo of course).

I prefer Brown Bear, but will shoot whatever is cheapest.  I also agree with you that Brown Bear is HOT... its like +p+ or NATO-level.  Some can throw some big flames in short barrels.

I get about 1 in 200 that malfunction, usually light primer strike or fail to feed.  The Brown Bear seems to malfunction alot less.  The lacquer coating seems to be 'smoother operating' than polymer case.  Ive noticed that my GLOCK brand GLOCK mags sometimes bind up when ~66-100% full with polymer cased ammo, not with brass, aluminum, or laquer coating.  Usually the binding is solved by a swift smack of the mag, but occasionally the binding will cause a fail to feed.

Steel case and GLOCK also mean you need to clean your firing pin and channel about every thousand, might help with the soft strikes.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:40:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#17]
That was an excellent and informative video and I learned something from it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Informative and well done....THANKS!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Interesting thing is that I cleaned the Glock before the testing.

Also, you're right in saying that rounds slow the mag-stack travel speed. After a couple of mags of shooting + the weakened mag spring + dirty blowback in the mag from shooting suppressed, I was getting some failure to feeds with Wolf/Tula off camera using the ETS 31rd mags.

It's just important to keep them clean.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All your observations mostly line up with mine.  I am a virtually steel-case-only GLOCK shooter (except for carry ammo of course).

I prefer Brown Bear, but will shoot whatever is cheapest.  I also agree with you that Brown Bear is HOT... its like +p+ or NATO-level.  Some can throw some big flames in short barrels.

I get about 1 in 200 that malfunction, usually light primer strike or fail to feed.  The Brown Bear seems to malfunction alot less.  The lacquer coating seems to be 'smoother operating' than polymer case.  Ive noticed that my GLOCK brand GLOCK mags sometimes bind up when ~66-100% full with polymer cased ammo, not with brass, aluminum, or laquer coating.  Usually the binding is solved by a swift smack of the mag, but occasionally the binding will cause a fail to feed.

Steel case and GLOCK also mean you need to clean your firing pin and channel about every thousand, might help with the soft strikes.

Interesting thing is that I cleaned the Glock before the testing.

Also, you're right in saying that rounds slow the mag-stack travel speed. After a couple of mags of shooting + the weakened mag spring + dirty blowback in the mag from shooting suppressed, I was getting some failure to feeds with Wolf/Tula off camera using the ETS 31rd mags.

It's just important to keep them clean.

I agree with the fact that steel cased ammo tends to bind  the more rounds you stick in there, hence more malfunctions over 17 rounds in a magazine but I think it is with all steel cased ammo not just poly, I believe the coating collapses under pressure and causes little indentions that cause friction, you see it more with high cap pistol mags due to the heavy follower spring, but since I rarely use a pistol mag over 17 rounds I rarely have issues. The new Tulammo has been revamped with the new zinc plated bullet (cost savings measure), new powder and possibly new softer primer(? have had no hard primers out of it yet) . I haven't had any malfunctions since the re-vamp out of my Glocks or my sub2000, using Glock and Magpul magazines. I just got done testing the accuracy of Winchester WB, Winchester Forge, Perfecta, Federal aluminum and Tulammo at 80 yards with my sub2000. The Winchester white box beat the Tulammo by just a smidge with Perfecta being close to both by less than 1/2". Federal aluminum was dead last, it was awful. The Tulammo was cleaner than all the American ammo and just beat out by Perfecta, Winchester forge was awfully dirty. Price, you can't beat Tulammo, I pay $175 per 1k shipped to my door. I buy every Perfecta round I can now for competition (many ranges don't allow steel cased ammo, perfecta is $9.78 per 50 locally at Walmart) and Tulammo for the bulk of my wife and I's training at our local ranges and at our personal range at the house. One issue is that the Tulammo tends to leave more metal fouling in my sub2000 but not in the Glocks, it is removed easily though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Well done video.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I agree with the fact that steel cased ammo tends to bind  the more rounds you stick in there, hence more malfunctions over 17 rounds in a magazine but I think it is with all steel cased ammo not just poly, I believe the coating collapses under pressure and causes little indentions that cause friction, you see it more with high cap pistol mags due to the heavy follower spring, but since I rarely use a pistol mag over 17 rounds I rarely have issues. The new Tulammo has been revamped with the new zinc plated bullet (cost savings measure), new powder and possibly new softer primer(? have had no hard primers out of it yet) . I haven't had any malfunctions since the re-vamp out of my Glocks or my sub2000, using Glock and Magpul magazines. I just got done testing the accuracy of Winchester WB, Winchester Forge, Perfecta, Federal aluminum and Tulammo at 80 yards with my sub2000. The Winchester white box beat the Tulammo by just a smidge with Perfecta being close to both by less than 1/2". Federal aluminum was dead last, it was awful. The Tulammo was cleaner than all the American ammo and just beat out by Perfecta, Winchester forge was awfully dirty. Price, you can't beat Tulammo, I pay $175 per 1k shipped to my door. I buy every Perfecta round I can now for competition (many ranges don't allow steel cased ammo, perfecta is $9.78 per 50 locally at Walmart) and Tulammo for the bulk of my wife and I's training at our local ranges and at our personal range at the house. One issue is that the Tulammo tends to leave more metal fouling in my sub2000 but not in the Glocks, it is removed easily though.
View Quote

^ agree, the price point is nice but its bad dirty. I shot a full mag through my MPX and it threw crap all over my glasses and face in that 30rds. Ill run the rest of it up through a handgun and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#22]
sad that you did this the day after I ordered 2K blazer 9mm...
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
People hate all over Tula, but I shoot a lot of it through all my guns. Its pretty accurate actually, and I haven't had any issues with failures, etc.

If youre looking for something else to try, Winchester now makes a steel cased ammo if you can find it at WalMart. Dirt cheap, and runs good in all of my stuff.
View Quote

Agreed, I just bought another 300 rounds of the Winchester steel case 9mm, runs great in my 92FS and CZ75.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sad that you did this the day after I ordered 2K blazer 9mm...

You'll get Tula the next go-around.

I ordered a couple thousand rounds of Tula 9mm

https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/responsive/cover/main/desktop/2015/07/31/635739722929348256329587656_86d4980acf1b1c3f7aef9f3c1024508d.jpg

It's my credo...

ETA: I can burn through a couple K 9mm pretty quick... I'll do mo betta next time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:12:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Agreed, I just bought another 300 rounds of the Winchester steel case 9mm, runs great in my 92FS and CZ75.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have any 9mm rifles be careful running them, making sure you wear eye pro. I ran one mag of 30 through my new MPX and this ammo threw crap all over my glasses and face, and this was the only ammo I had this issue with, even other steel ammo.

Nothing wrong with it from a function standpoint, it runs great through all of my pistols so far. But for me it will be a handgun only round.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#27]
This unburned powder is a big consideration for blow back carbines. Forge was bad but winchester white box is horrible about blasting you. Tulammo and perfecta rarely throw unburned powder out the action. The new tulammo leaves very little powder residue but does leave zinc fouling in barrel but it is very easily removed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:15:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This unburned powder is a big consideration for blow back carbines. Forge was bad but winchester white box is horrible about blasting you. Tulammo and perfecta rarely throw unburned powder out the action. The new tulammo leaves very little powder residue but does leave zinc fouling in barrel but it is very easily removed.
View Quote

I can agree. I shoot Tula purely because I shoot pretty often and its cheap, and run Perfecta if I take a course where I have to run brass cased ammo. Never had issues with either one of them, and Perfecta is my choice for brass cased ammo whenever I need it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you have any 9mm rifles be careful running them, making sure you wear eye pro. I ran one mag of 30 through my new MPX and this ammo threw crap all over my glasses and face, and this was the only ammo I had this issue with, even other steel ammo.

Nothing wrong with it from a function standpoint, it runs great through all of my pistols so far. But for me it will be a handgun only round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 9mm rifles, only handguns and I always wear eye protection, but thanks for the heads up.

Just ran 150 rounds of it through my CZ75b yesterday, runs great. A little hotter than wolf or tula but function has been 100% so far.

My only complaints are 1) the cases themselves out of the box are filthy, your fingers get black just loading mags and 2) the packaging sucks, it comes in three 50 round styrofoam blocks inside the flimsy cardboard box. Once you you use one of the blocks of 50, the rest will fall out into the box, which will bust open in your shooting bag. I just shoot an entire 150 rounds when I open a new box
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Not pistol Ammo but I was shooting Silver Bear .223 62gr SP at a 3 gun match over the weekend at 500 yards.  Scoring hits.  Took 3 rounds to get a hit on a kagaroo shaped target at 485 yards and then the wind kicked up pretty good for the 500 yard target and took a bit to get a hit on.  14.5 Inch barrel 1/7 twist Holosun 2MOA RDS.  6 Targets between 280 yards and 500 yards.  I could have probably did a bit better with a low power variable as it would have been easier to spot hits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top