Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2016 7:30:11 PM EDT
I went to wall world today and got 2ea boxes of Remington UMC 38 special 130 gr . FMJ  . I opened a box in the truck to check them out and low and behold there was a single .357 round in the box of 38's .... I spotted it because the 38's was brass case and the .357 was a shinny chrome case. The box was sealed and glued shut. I had to pop it open to get into it ... It's not an issue because I have .357 any way. But damn.... This had to happen at the factory. The box was sealed ( glue ) on both ends and I popped one side open to look at my purchase. Just thought Id share. WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
What brand ammo and was the round properly head stamped .357?  Always a good idea to inspect what's going in you gun.  Good catch.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 2:48:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I went to wall world today and got 2ea boxes of Remington UMC 38 special 130 gr . FMJ  . I opened a box in the truck to check them out and low and behold there was a single .357 round in the box of 38's .... I spotted it because the 38's was brass case and the .357 was a shinny chrome case. The box was sealed and glued shut. I had to pop it open to get into it ... It's not an issue because I have .357 any way. But damn.... This had to happen at the factory. The box was sealed ( glue ) on both ends and I popped one side open to look at my purchase. Just thought Id share. WarDawg
View Quote

Good catch. I always inspect my ammo too when I open boxes, checking for primers, OAL, case bulges etc. The last time I was at WalMart and picked up some 9mm, the lady behind the counter told me to go ahead and open it right there to inspect.

She had a guy bring back 2 boxes earlier that week purchased from them, with issues. One was a HP in a full box of FMJ ammo(I know, SCORE right!), and the other was just a round loaded upside down(but otherwise ok if I remember correctly).
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 2:58:26 AM EDT
[#3]
After WWB and Freedom Munitions, I check everything and trust no one.

Checking since then has caught one bad round from even Speer, when I found a 147 GDHP that was loose and so knowing what that means, it easily came out with a pull of my fingers. Speer took great care of me though, no complaints but still...every box get's the from me for now on.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 3:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I found a round of 30.06 in a box of 270 once would not have been a good day
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 3:34:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Remember with ammunition, you are the final QC inspector. It only take a few seconds to give each round a quick once over before loading into the magazine.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes It is head stamped 357 magnum  R-P   It is a JHP   .   I took several pic's . I would post them but I'm to damn stupid to figure out how to post pics. I'm not a computer person. Maybe my kid can set  it up to post pics. I know, go to Photobucket . Set up account and that when it goes down hill.   I have honestly tried. But when it ask me anything about jmp's  or hkr's   Im lost   I can pull motors and transmissions and rebuild them .. I cant post a damn picture ....Wardawg

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What brand ammo and was the round properly head stamped .357?  Always a good idea to inspect what's going in you gun.  Good catch.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

I had a round of 270 in a box of '06 once.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Could be neck beards at WM oogling the ammo, and put it in the wrong box.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Could be neck beards at WM oogling the ammo, and put it in the wrong box.
View Quote

Said it was glued shut from factory.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt .30-06 would chamber in a .270 so while a potentially bad move, it likely wouldn't be catastrophic, would .270 in .30-06 be catastrophic, likely just super underpowered and maybe musket like on impact.

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Remington.

Don't buy Remington. Since the early 2000s it has been more consistently inconsistent than any brand I've witnessed. Their .22lr went first, then the UMC and value packs of handgun ammo. About 2007-2008 the rifle ammo started. I bought 1,000rds of .223 the night the 2008 panic started, because it was the only thing in stock that hadn't increased. I got it pre panic prices, but wish I'd have put in the order for 1,000rds of XM193 at $50 more than it was five minutes before. Had I ordered the couple of days before, I could have gotten what I wanted.

Anyway, out of each box, there were at least two rounds that were not seated, so loose that they'd had fallen into the case. Some were just finger tight. I had to go through every single round and do the tap test. After so many failures, I got tired of it and went ahead and ran all of them through my Lee crimp die, with about 75 that I had to put in primed cases I already had because I would have had to have deprimed and resized,tumbled , and loaded. Also, my curiosity found that cases were way off of each other, some barely in spec as far as trim length, and weighing the powder on an RCBS 5-0-5 scale, there was a +/-.5gr difference from cartridge to cartridge. Bullet weights varied from the high 53grs to the mid 55grs. I sold all of it but about 200 rounds during the panic and bought components.

A few years ago, some of the 115gr 6.8 Bulk projectiles , actually a lot of them, were so out of whack people couldn't even load them. I mean the things were bent. There's some pics out there, but I can't find them. The from the ogive to the tip, they were bent, and the tip would be almost as far out as the edge of the bullet on some.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#12]
About 20 yrs. ago, I got a 9mm cartridge in a 40 S&W carton, and it came directly from a reputable mail order dealer, still in business today.

It was a Remington Golden Saber.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 2:51:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Back in the 80's I got a half case of Geco 9mm on sale at my LGS.

2 out of the 500 misfired. Pulling down the load I found there was no flash hole in those 2 rounds.

Shit happens - some of these industrial ammo loading machines will process a million rounds in a month
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I blew the head apart on a 5.56 round with a missing flash hole, tbough my dr200 had blown up but it was fine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Wait, are those boxes typically glued shut?

I've never bought a box of ammo in a fiberboard box that was sealed in any way, except those 20 round specialty self-defense ammo boxes.  

Maybe I'm being too nervous but it doesn't feel right.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I once found a single .308win round in a box of .243win from Walmart. I figure it came from some dumbshit finger fucking the rounds (never understood yokels who want to "see dem boolits") and getting them mixed up between boxes.

OP, I would inspect every round carefully. It is possible that a .357 round was left in a hopper at the factory and mixed in with the .38spl but that would be highly unusual. It is more likely that someone opened that box after it left the factory for whatever reason. Like Mainsail noted, the "glued" box seems a little suspicious.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Two years ago I bought a box of 30-30 and one of the rounds had an upside down primer in it. I called Remington. Since I live in ny,, they couldn't ship me a new box. They said keep it and sent me a check for $10. I pulled it, deprimed it and loaded it up on my press. There was a five dollar rebate at the time so with about 3 minutes of work that turned into a $5 box of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Strangest thing I ever saw was a box of blazer 9mm ( aluminum case) one of the cases was not 9mm but 380 resulting in a very short case with a long bullet (124) sticking out of it
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know how many thousands of rounds I've shot in 20+ years but I wish I knew. The most fucked up thing(s) I've seen was with Shitty Remington UMC in .40 caliber. It was either 165 or 180 grain ball. Everything was fine when all of a sudden my trusty M&P would only go 99% into battery. I tried to rack it but no dice. I had to forcefully use most of my weight to push the front of the slide against the wooden bench to eject the cartridge. It took almost 5 minutes of me gently beating on it to get this slide open again. Upon ejection I picked up the round and noticed that the case length was 1 to 1.5mm's longer than it should be. It looked to be almost as long as a 10mm case but had a .40S&W head stamp just like all the other remaining ammo in the box. This something that is super easy to overlook when loading a magazine. I know this was just ball ammo but... if this was a shtf situation it would/could have cost me my life. I was only using this shit ammo as it was around Sandyhook, I didn't want to dig into my stock as I didn't know when I'd be able to replace it and UMC was all my club had in .40 caliber

The second most fucked up thing I saw was with UMC in .223. Upon loading this ammo it appeard every single round had a different OAL. So, I took them home instead of shooting them. I lined them up like soldiers on a flat and level granite counter top at home. All 20 rounds had a different over all length. This is piss poor QA/QC. I won't even accept this ammo on trades nor will I accept it if someone is giving it to me. I don't know what happened to Remington as they used to be some of the best loaded ammo available. Don't get me started on WWB bulk pack or anything else in a white box from them...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top