Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2016 3:07:26 PM EDT
I've got a good bit put away, but realized it's all FMJ target/plinking stuff. Not looking to spend a ton of money, but what's a good valued round I can get a couple hundred (at least) of to stack up. I was looking at 500 rounds of the Silver Bear 145 HP. The main handgun is a Glock 19, and it loves Silver Bear but never shot the HP's. Good choice or go with something else for a tad more?

ETA: This won't be for EDC, I have Hornady Critical Defense for that application. It'll just be for stacking some away that isn't FMJ plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Not deep at all, but 800 rounds of Hornady 5.56 75 gr T2, 500 rounds of Speer .223 GD 64gr, and 400 rounds of Hotnady 5.56 75 gr SBR.  And... I'm out of money, even though I got really good deals on all of it.  Good enough for now, decent split between barrier blind and OTM ammo.  I want more, though, because as we get close to November, I think it will get really tough to get more at decent prices.  The T2 shoots best (consistently accurate) from my suppressed SBR.

ETA: Ooops, wrong kind of ammo.  1200 rounds 147gr HST, 1000 rounds 124gr HST, 500 rounds Winchester RA9T, 800 rounds Speer GD 124 gr.  All 9mm for my handguns and 9mm Colt form suppressed SBR.  And still out of money!
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I stack GDHP's and HST's when it's cheap and always in 147 weight. I have others too that I have bought cheap and replaced boxes of FMJ's with JHP's so they can all be of more use to me for defensive purposes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Hornady American Gunner xtp is inexpensive, so is whitebox Federal Hi Shok and Winchester White Box. The construction of silver bear may not allow it to expand. You can wait for HST or Gold Dot to go on sale for 20 a box of 50.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I recently bought a couple hundred 115gr gold dots for $25/50 with free shipping.

I think I'm going to try and grab a case of GDHP or HST's the next time I see them on sale.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, you guys know that Massammo has 147gr HST (P9HST2) for $420 for 1000 rounds, right?  Pretty good deal even with $13 shipping.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Speer Gold Dot, 40 S&W 180 grain.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST are my favorites and use ammoseek to look for them.

I've been trying to stock up and not get caught like after the last scares.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Fiocchi 124grn Hollow Points.  Not the more expensive HST topped ones either.  I think these are 14 dollars per box of 50.  Nose cavity is kind of small and I need to get some into some water jugs to see how they expand/hold together.  I think I'm sitting on 300 of them right now because I wanted to check reliability at pistol matches (so far so good).  Maybe I'll send them off to get someone else to test a few of them.  

Most of my pistol stock is either 124grn poly coated round nose reloads or brown/silver bear 115 grn FMJ blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fiocchi 124grn Hollow Points.  Not the more expensive HST topped ones either.  I think these are 14 dollars per box of 50.  Nose cavity is kind of small and I need to get some into some water jugs to see how they expand/hold together.  I think I'm sitting on 300 of them right now because I wanted to check reliability at pistol matches (so far so good).  Maybe I'll send them off to get someone else to test a few of them.  

Most of my pistol stock is either 124grn poly coated round nose reloads or brown/silver bear 115 grn FMJ blasting ammo.
View Quote
You're thinking of XTP's as Fiocchi doesn't load HST's. Between the 3 I have shot the uniform expansion is consistent and I'd call 13.6 into sim-test gel good enough for a 147 standard non bonded JHP.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I carry HSTs and keep 2-3 boxes on hand. I buy a box or 2 of hishoks whenever I order if its available. Usually around $15 per 50. After that Id use 147 fp that I use for woods carry, then 9mm nato, then plinking ammo would get called up. If
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 1k rounds of Federal 135 gr +p tactical bonded
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have 1k rounds of Federal 135 gr +p tactical bonded
View Quote

Excellent load.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You're thinking of XTP's as Fiocchi doesn't load HST's. Between the 3 I have shot the uniform expansion is consistent and I'd call 13.6 into sim-test gel good enough for a 147 standard non bonded JHP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup that's the one I was talking about XTP.  But the one I've got a few hundred rounds of isn't that stuff.

Fiocchi 9APBHP 50 round box 124grn JHP

Edit I wonder what this S&B 124 grn Soft Point  would look like fired into some gel.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Federal 9MS 147gr jhp. Got it from sgammo from about $300 a case. Certainly doesn't compare to HST's or golddots but it's nice knowing I've got some proven hollow points set back just in case.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup that's the one I was talking about XTP.  But the one I've got a few hundred rounds of isn't that stuff.

Edit I wonder what this S&B 124 grn Soft Point  would look like fired into some gel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Talk to me in SEP and ask/remind me when I buy a new Sim-Test block or ask Bluefalcon to do it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
All kinds.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#17]
HST.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a partial box of 124gr Gold Dots.  They are (+P) so that counts for something, right?

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#19]
7n6
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got my 1500 rounds of 9BPLE and about 200 of the Winchester flavor. That's all I need for carry ammo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#21]
A couple different brands loaded with XTP bullets across all calibers I have (380, 9, and 45).
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#22]
9mm and 45ACP Gold Dots and HST. 124gr in 9mm and 230gr in 45ACP.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Hmm...I have a stack of bullet moulds, a few hundred pounds of lead, brass laying everywhere and enough powder and primers for a few thousand rounds. Bring on November.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:02:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hmm...I have a stack of bullet moulds, a few hundred pounds of lead, brass laying everywhere and enough powder and primers for a few thousand rounds. Bring on November.
View Quote
Just a few thousand? You're doing it wrong and this is not how it works
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:36:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stacking accomplishes nothing. Shooting the stack down, however, does.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:08:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth right there

I've made 500 on my own already using nickel cases and GDHP, XTP, and HST's whenever RMR has them to sell already pulled. My goal is to make it to 1,200 and set it aside to not use until maybe ten years later when I can start replenishing and turn over old to make room for the new.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#27]
For pistol the bulk of the stash is reloads in 230 grn fmj.  Although I use Ranger 230grn HP for EDC. For rifle it would be a clone of the Mk 262 mod 2 also reloads. Next to that would be Hornady 75 gr n BTHP T1. Both are loaded to near 5.56 pressure as best as I can tell from crono them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I only stock Gold dots for 9mm & .45 & Ranger bonded for .40
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]
OP:  I would not consider the Silver Bear HP's to be defensive ammo.  I've shot a few boxes of the 9mm and .40S&W JHP versions.  Both were fairly low power, both had ignition issues (possibly hard primers), and based simply on visual inspection I would expect that neither HP would be very effective.  FWIW I regularly enjoy shooting Silver Bear FMJ in pistol and rifle for plinking purposes.

Here is my recommendation for stacking up defensive ammo.  For each caliber stick with one bullet weight.  After that, shop around and buy what's on sale when you have a few extra bucks.  Personally, I think your good if you have 500 rounds of quality ammo of the same weight (less important to have 500 rounds of exactly the same ammo).  I prefer HST, Gold Dot, and XTP bullets loaded by a variety of companies.  For reasonable priced generic defensive ammo look at Winchester White Box and Federal Hi-Shok.

Places like Mass Ammo and PSA will run some great deals or closeouts if you keep your eyes open.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST are my favorites and use ammoseek to look for them.

I've been trying to stock up and not get caught like after the last scares.
View Quote

My faves too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't really stack defense ammo too deep, mostly just plinking ammo.  Most of what I have put back for defense is Winchester ranger bonded in 9 and .40.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:50:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Practically giving away top shelf ammo.  Anyone that has a need for .40 should be all over this like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't "stack deep" defense ammo. But I do have about 750 combined of gold dots and HST in 9, and about 300 gold dots and Hornady in 38.  Plus maybe 70 or so 357 golden sabers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#35]
147gr HSTs for my pistols and cheap HiShoks for the MP5 clone.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Sweet baby jesus I may buy a .40 just so I can buy those. I'd buy a case right now that price is nuts.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#37]
<snip> wrong thread.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This so true!!! Me I'm stacking what ever I can fine. At a decent price!
I do not think the Zombies care what I hit them with!  And if other thing come up!
We do not have to comply with the 19th century treaty either!!!

PITA45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top