Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2016 11:31:39 AM EDT
Is Speer Lawman a good ammo to stock up on?  The price is right.  Or is this really only for the range?

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for self defense.  It is just FMJ.  Ammo manufacturers want you to buy high end JHP  at a higher price
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good for self defense.  It is just FMJ.  Ammo manufacturers want you to buy high end JHP  at a higher price
View Quote
Pistol rounds suck for self defense.  I would much prefer a good hollowpoint like the Speer Gold Dot.  Still a fmj in hand is much better than nothing.

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Still need to practice once SHTF.  No point doing that with Gold Dots or HST's or whatever other flavor of JHP you have.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Still need to practice once SHTF.  No point doing that with Gold Dots or HST's or whatever other flavor of JHP you have.
View Quote
Agreed.  Most of my 9mm stash is FMJ.  I think I'll just be adding good hollow points in the future - at least until I've used some more of my FMJ stash up.

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pistol rounds suck for self defense.  I would much prefer a good hollowpoint like the Speer Gold Dot.  Still a fmj in hand is much better than nothing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think his question was if the Lawman ammo is only for the range and not to be used for self defense.  It is just FMJ ammo.  Similar to the ammo our military has used for a long time.  Modern JHP are better but FMJ will kill
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies all.  I think I'll stock up on some with maybe 25% of the stock being the Gold Dots.  Appreciate all the replies.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies all.  I think I'll stock up on some with maybe 25% of the stock being the Gold Dots.  Appreciate all the replies.
View Quote

I wouldn't even do 25%.  Maybe 5-10% should be Gold Dots.  You won't be getting into many shootouts where it justifies the extra expense, especially since a long gun should be your main weapon.  You should be practicing your pistol a lot though.

I would say for every 1k rounds you stock, 100 rounds of JHP should be more than adequate
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
You missed your chance on SHTF ammo

Ive got a little over 1K of gold dot G2s

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I think Lawman is good for a large volume for SHTF, since a similar volume of HST, etc. is pretty expensive.  I think some missed the point of the question, since there is some other ammo sold that says "not for law enforcement use" and we wonder what is wrong with it to depend on for combat?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Good points all.  Makes sense on the lower ratio as well.  I'll knock it down some.

Also, yes, I am just looking for something that is "good enough" and that is reasonably dependable so that in the event I needed to use it for self defense, while maybe not as good as the high dollar stuff, should suffice in a pinch.  Hopefully there will never be a point in my lifetime that I ever need to use any of it anyway, but hey, I figure I have another ~30 years or so left.  Anything can happen.   :)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Very good ammo and clean. My first choice.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Expensive fmj you got there
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I would say any hot loaded FMJ for stockpiling purposes. NATO spec Winchester or Federal, or Sellier and Bellot. However, I've never had a problem with Speer Lawman cycling. I would suggest stockpiling about 500rds of a chosen hollow point, for a rainy day.

Edit: ignore my suggestion for NATO if you're not looking for 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I say any bullet stockpiled after you run out of your first line of defense Ammo is a lot lot better than throwing rocks after the SHTF.
So if the Ammo cycles good in your weapon then be happy with all forms of Ammo weather it be fmj or Hp.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Speer Lawman is good quality ammo if you want something that's viable for SD. I'd personally not consider it a primary defensive load as it's just ball ammo.

I store a few hundred rounds of premium stuff as well as a couple hundred rounds of M882 ball. It's what I'm familiar with so I look for it when I can.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Very good ammo and clean. My first choice.
View Quote

This.  Plus it's pretty much the same ballistics as the Gold Dots so it's excellent for practice if you use Gold Dots.

Also my first choice.  Very clean, very reliable, available and affordable.
Check out. Target Sports Usa
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Lawman is my go to FMJ (technically TMJ). I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Not sure if it was said here but the Speer Lawman is designed to mimic the recoil, accuracy, and feel of the more expensive Speer Gold Dot. It was originally created for training use. The thought was to use it in training so you did not need to shoot the more expensive Gold Dot round. If you dig through ATK's documentation they have on there web page it states this in a PDF that I cant seem to find at the moment. Hope this helps in your choice of defensive ammo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#19]
It's great ammo for practice, not for defense.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a dead primer in a 124gr Lawman last year.   I've shot about 10K of it over the past two years, so not bad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I have shot a few thousand of the various pistol calibers with no problems
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Anybody know if the lawman bullet is a plated bullet or not ?

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Ill stick with the new tulammo $175 per1k shipped and perfecta $195 per 1k from walmart. In my tests Perfecta 9mm is cleaner more consistant amd more accurate than most any american ammo. Winchester white box is just a tad more accurate but dirtier and way more expensive. Tulammo is also pretty accurate and have had no issues with it since the bullet/powder changes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You missed your chance on SHTF ammo

Ive got a little over 1K of gold dot G2s

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/20160516_123910_zpsmy4bura0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/20160516_123910_zpsmy4bura0.jpg</a>
View Quote

You suck Chase!!!   I hate you and your fancy MP5 clone and fancy BHP you practically stole and that nice used patina on your Professional..  I am a jealous ASSHOLE  

I missed out on that by literal minutes.  I have been kicking myself for months.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Anybody know if the lawman bullet is a plated bullet or not ?
View Quote

It's TMJ, which is plating to the thickness of FMJ.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is Speer Lawman a good ammo to stock up on?  The price is right.  Or is this really only for the range?

View Quote

I buy it by the 500 or by the 1K for range, stock, or shtf... It's very good quality ammo OP. So is Blazer Brass, Blazer Aluminum cased, Geco, PPU, IMI, PMC, and American Eagle. I buy any of the aforementioned brands for whichever I can buy the cheapest at the time...
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I buy it by the 500 or by the 1K for range, stock, or shtf... It's very good quality ammo OP. So is Blazer Brass, Blazer Aluminum cased, Geco, PPU, IMI, PMC, and American Eagle. I buy any of the aforementioned brands for whichever I can buy the cheapest at the time...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much what he said.  If S actually HTF any good functioning ammo is good to have on hand.  I've been putting away, MEN, Magtech, Federal Champion, Perfecta, etc.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Is the 147 grain lawman the best quality for the price ammo you can get for shooting suppressed? Or is there something just as good cheaper?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Is the 147 grain lawman the best quality for the price ammo you can get for shooting suppressed? Or is there something just as good cheaper?
View Quote
Cheapest 147 subsonic I've seen that isn't sketchy reloads. I'd go for it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is my choice to run through my 9x19 and .45acp suppressors. It keeps my cans clean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top