Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2016 3:39:26 PM EDT
Hi Folks,

I'm a big .45 ACP fan, and have 230gr Gold Dots stacked deep, so I have no shortage of defensive ammunition. However, one big selling point of the .45 for me is that even the most common practice ammo (230gr FMJ) still makes a pretty decent defensive round, which you just don't get in any other common duty handgun round. I have been reading, though, about the efficacy of flat point bullets, and it makes me wonder whether the flat point of the standard bullets for the .40 or 10mm makes up for the narrower diameter by crushing tissue better than the .45's round nose.

What I hope to find is someone who has done gel tests who can report on the permanent cavity made by FMJs of these two calibers. I am sure, however, that Nosler's current or Hornady's former flat point 230gr FMJ for the .45 ACP would be a game changer, though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I am sure the Russian will stop by and give you the lowdown that they do not offer any other advantage other than ballistic matching their hollow point derivative.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
stick with the 230gr Gold-Dots

I've hunted big midwestern deer with them, and they work very well
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
stick with the 230gr Gold-Dots

I've hunted big midwestern deer with them, and they work very well
View Quote

147 grain hst's do too

OP. All handgun bullets work pretty similar but Ill admit when I head up north I typically carry 147 flat points if im carrying a 9. Otherwise im probably carrying a .45 colt with 250 grain flat points.

I prefer flat points because they track straighter from the tests Ive seen
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top