Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2016 11:11:49 PM EDT
I need  something for the range that's not watered down garbage. I have Buffalo Bore for any defense needs, but I"m not wasting it or underwood's stuff at the range.

Can anyone recommend two or three brands that are economical yet still fun to shoot?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had great luck with armscore ammo in my g20
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've had great luck with armscore ammo in my g20
View Quote
Thanks. How's the power? Is it watered down or does it have the grin factor?

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
i have no facts or measurements on queue for them but I know they feel full powered but not over, again that's just my opinion
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool thanks!
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#5]
It's tough to find much range ammo that's not at or slightly above the FBI reduced power load because it's so much cheaper for factories to produce it.  I've had luck scouring old pawnshops and hardware stores though and finding old PMC fmj. :)  
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks good tip. Since I just looked at PMC ammo online at sgammo I'm assuming that's not the stuff you are referring to. Lol.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks good tip. Since I just looked at PMC ammo online at sgammo I'm assuming that's not the stuff you are referring to. Lol.
View Quote
LOL same lot numbers, but old production 1990's stuff has noticeably more pep! Any older hornady loaded ammo is good to pick up as well.  My buddy was punching holes in steel deck plating from about 30 yards where my .38 super was only denting it, and .45 acp was leaving a lead splat.  Stuff must have been loaded to the old Norma standards.  

With my witness now I just shoot whatever I can find cheap (typically magtech from gunshows around 18/ box 50), and save the hot stuff for carry/ showing off.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:27:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I see.

I will likely only shoot it when it's showoff time anyways.

How do you like your witness?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine is a bit of an oddball, I bought it way back when they had slide cracking issues on the "wonderfinish" (plain DA/SA) guns on the .45/ 10mm slides. I bought it knowing that and when it cracked out, sent it in for the free "upgrade" in which they just tossed on an older style match slide and barrel which was thicker in the slide (wonderfinish guns had the slides kind of machined down super thin, they don't do it anymore).  It was perfectly ok minus that known problem.

After getting it back with the new slide?  I kicked myself in the ass HARD for not buying either the 9mm or 10mm Match Elite (SA only, really nice trigger for the price).  Even so, the think as is is stupid accurate, runs reliably, and super hard to beat for the cost associated. 3-4" groups at 25 yards were almost easy, and at the time I wasn't even that great with handguns. With the match barrel and sights it definitely made it easier to show off.

Glock 10's are great if you're going to shoot a ton of hot 10mm, I've seen them take CRAZY abuse and my gut says I would trust them more for handloading really high pressure stuff. But the Witness guns especially the E. Match level and higher are factory competition guns and shoot like it. The factory recoil springs on them are on the light side, mine wore out pretty quick.  Replaced with IIRC a wolff 22# and it's been great for factory ammo, and the occasional full speed stuff.  I'd probably go a tad higher if all I was shooting was big boy ammo.  

Don't have any experiance with thier polymer versions, but I've sold many when I worked at a range and no one ever had issues.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I ask because I just picked up a match elite in 10mm. Feels real nice and will fill the 10mm CZ void. Itching to shoot it, but want to order some good ammo!
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Right on!  They're a great buy! I'd just run whatever you find through it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I just fired my G20 for the first time today with full power loads.... Wow, what a difference.

I had some Sig Sauer 180 grain 10mm with an advertised velocity of 1250fps and it packed a good punch. Not as fast as the Underwood offerings I recently bought but still very nice. My sissy hands took about 50 rounds before calling it quits. 9mm has made me soft.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well I just fired my G20 for the first time today with full power loads.... Wow, what a difference.

I had some Sig Sauer 180 grain 10mm with an advertised velocity of 1250fps and it packed a good punch. Not as fast as the Underwood offerings I recently bought but still very nice. My sissy hands took about 50 rounds before calling it quits. 9mm has made me soft.
View Quote
What loads did you use today? I was offered Sig loads at my LGS the other day and turned them down because of the price and unknown 'fun' factor.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What loads did you use today? I was offered Sig loads at my LGS the other day and turned them down because of the price and unknown 'fun' factor.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used some basic Blazer which was 10mm lite and the Sig Sauer 10mm 180 grain FMJ. The Sig stuff was $29.00 per box and while I didn't chrono it HAD to be much hotter. Ejection was very strong and recoil was much sharper. I'd suggest getting that Sig ammo from your LGS if the price is fair, its hot, clean ammo that shoots well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks! It was 29 / box. Lol. I'll grab a box or two and try to chrono it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:09:52 AM EDT
[#16]
The Sig 180s are hot loads and was $28/50 at Academy. Pretty hot for range load that I think bear load instead.

By the way, if you can't find 10mm hot loads just shoot 40s.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#17]
The Sig ammo is the best bang for the buck for close to full powered ammo if you don't handload. The armscorp has been watered down. The last box I bought was under 1000fps from a Glock 20.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:19:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Sig ammo is the best bang for the buck for close to full powered ammo if you don't handload. The armscorp has been watered down. The last box I bought was under 1000fps from a Glock 20.
View Quote

This.  The Sig stuff was great.  Thought I would save some money and by Armscor.  Its a little snappier than my G34. Bought more Sig tonight at Cabelas.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Go for the SIG ammo, it's pretty good shooting ammo. And the self defense load is made to match the FMJ load so you can get the same point of aim.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#20]
If you have an Academy they have Sig branded 10mm . I have a friend who just picked up some . I will get some feedback
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I just spent this past weekend up at NRA Whittington and in addition to a variety of firearms I brought along my relatively new Glock G40 and Dan Wesson Razorback.I was shooting some BVAC 10MM FMJ loads, Sig Sauer 10mm FMJ and a newcomer, S&B 10MM 180 grain FMJ. Advertised velocity for the S&B is 1164 fps and 543 ft/lbs. I estimate that it recoiled a little less than the Sig ammo but more than the BVAC. In fact when I mixed the Sig with the S&B in the same mag I could hardly tell the difference in recoil. I fired about 150 rounds of the S&B through the Glock with no issues. The best thing about the S&B besides decent power is the price. Midway has it for sale and in stock at $329 per 1000 rounds!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1777328319/sellier-and-bellot-ammunition-10mm-auto-180-grain-full-metal-jacket

But if you can hit up SGAmmo when they have it in stock, the price is about $280 per 1K!

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/10mm-auto-ammo
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Last summer when I bought an early G20 for GSSF competition, I didn't have time to develop my own load before the first match.  I bought a "can" of 250 new manufacture loads from LAX ammo.  It was around $95 delivered and was pretty punchy.  The ROs at the match commented on it seeming full powered (and thus a disadvantage for me).  When I was shooting under a canopy , with each shot the muzzle blast made the canopy billow up.  : )

Rob
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I know this thread is getting older but I wanted to add HSM 200grain fmj.
50rds for about $26
   More warm than hot but with the Starline brass it's a great buy IMO
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I have been using Sig 180gr. since I have yet to start loading for my 10mm.

You can find it at reasonable prices sometimes, at SGAmmo and/or Target Sports USA sometimes.

Much nicer than the Armscor stuff IMO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top