Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2016 12:13:57 PM EDT
As the title says: this thread is about experiences with the Geco 9mm, 124grain "Magnetic Projectile" ammo made in Geco's Swiss factory. I got a good line on this ammo and thought to myself it would be better to buy ammo now while it's cheap instead of waiting until November like I did (8) years ago, big mistake! Now, I love Geco 124gr and other offerings made in Geco's Hungary factories but this projectile is the Bi-Metal bullet jacket. I've always stayed away from the copper wash jacket and similar ammo in my AR's in favor of true copper jacketed, brass cased ammo out of simple preference. But, my experience with Geco copper jacketed ammo is that it's of very high quality and even though this ammo has a Bi-Metal jacket; I could expect the same level of quality. I bough 1K rounds for stocking and popping steel plates. It will be shot out of my beloved CZ P-01 pistol. Will 1K rounds of these Bi-Metal jacketed projectiles cause significant wear? Any experience and advice is welcomed! Thanks...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
With the lower velocity of pistol rounds, I can't imagine the mild steel of these bullets would cause any noticeable increase in wear unless you're shooting them at a high rate, say several thousands a month or more.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]
The Swiss know their 9mm. I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With the lower velocity of pistol rounds, I can't imagine the mild steel of these bullets would cause any noticeable increase in wear unless you're shooting them at a high rate, say several thousands a month or more.
View Quote

I'm only shooting 300-500 rounds a month in 9mm. You're probably right and that makes sense. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Swiss know their 9mm. I wouldn't worry about it.
View Quote

They certainly do!
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I honestly dont think you will ever see accelerated wear out of this stuff compared to brass or copper. If bimetal were that bad for a bore, then there wouldnt be a single Mosin left on the planet with rifling. That said I have shot thousands of rounds of Russian bimetal jacket ammo in both rifles and pistols and never noticed anything. I wouldnt hesitate to shoot Swiss bimetal ammo.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I honestly dont think you will ever see accelerated wear out of this stuff compared to brass or copper. If bimetal were that bad for a bore, then there wouldnt be a single Mosin left on the planet with rifling. That said I have shot thousands of rounds of Russian bimetal jacket ammo in both rifles and pistols and never noticed anything. I wouldnt hesitate to shoot Swiss bimetal ammo.
View Quote

You had to come in here and start making all kinds of sense didn't you???

We ran about 400 rounds of the Geco ammo in question on Saturday. It's very nice ammo, extremely clean burning, and accurate. I'm very glad to have purchased the 1K rounds that I did. Thanks for the responses fellas!!! I'll be buying more!
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Very informative article pertaining to bore wear.  

Lots of interactive pictures and barrel cutaway pictures.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks AF... I won't be buying steel jacketed/copper washed ball ammo in the future. However, I think Geco got this ammo right with enough copper on the jacket not to accelerate excessive wear on the barrel like we've seen with some of the other steel jacketed ammo. Being that this particular ammo is USPSA approved and is used or recommended for use in all their competitions; gives me a bit of peace of mind about it. I gave 250 rounds out of the 1K round case to my brother along with a 16 round CZ mag for his birthday. So I'll only put 750 rounds of this steel jacket/copper wash ammo thru this P-01. All other ammo will be a true copper jacket. The cost difference is so negligible the copper jacket option is always one I'll be willing to pay for. YMMV...
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Very informative article pertaining to bore wear.  

Lots of interactive pictures and barrel cutaway pictures.
View Quote

Thanks Sirius1... Yes, that was a great article and I was enamored with it when it first came out. It's still fun to read from time to time and has some nice data. I absolutely do NOT put any steel cased, nor steel jacketed bullets thru any of my AR's. It tends to be under powered and is almost certainly less accurate than XM193, (my favorite training/shtf stocking ammo.) I run H2 buffers in all my carbines & middies and an H3 in my newest rifle; of which is severely over gassed. Short stroking annoys the shit out me and I'm not changing buffers to run the cheap stuff. I do see the cost savings of high volume shooting with Wolf and Tula however. I prefer brass cased/copper jacketed ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top