Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2016 8:19:25 PM EDT
Is this training Ammo lower powered. They say it's not for LE use.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It's probably the G2  ammo that doesn't actually expand like it's supposed to.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
G2 is that code for Ammo that's under specs?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

G2 is the latest generation of the Gold Dot.  Early batches didn't reliably expand, and are being sold off as training ammo.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#4]
G2 = Gold Dot 2.    It's an elastimer filled HP that didn't actually work right.  Thus training only.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Old production on the left, new production on the right.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Tagged, because I have a couple boxes of that stuff and never did now if it was "blems" or a QC problem or what.  I've shot several hundred rounds without a problem, but still regarded it as really nice practice ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

G2 is the latest generation of the Gold Dot.  Early batches didn't reliably expand, and are being sold off as training ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it! Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 3:02:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought Speer Gold dot .40 years ago because some LE agency had misfires so Speer recalled the whole lot of ammo. They repackaged in in 250 round boxes and marked it for training use only. Seems to be the way Speer/CCI/ATK cuts their losses with "bad" ammo.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought Speer Gold dot .40 years ago because some LE agency had misfires so Speer recalled the whole lot of ammo. They repackaged in in 250 round boxes and marked it for training use only. Seems to be the way Speer/CCI/ATK cuts their losses with "bad" ammo.
View Quote

I went through many of those recalled/reclassified 250rd boxes of 124+p 9mm back in the day and never had any issues. I bought all I could I could at the time.  That was my carry load, so it was a nice cheap range round.  I probably still have some stashed someplace. I found a unopened wooden crate of sealed ammo cans of Aussie 7.62.51 one day while looking something.

http://greent.com/40Page/general/speer-recall.htm

Can't comment on the new loads. Any product codes on the new boxes?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have a link to the ammo ?

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I made the mistake of not looking close enough at the picture on Recoil Gunworks website and bought the 1000 round case of PD trade-in ammo.  Much to my surprise when I opened it up, I noticed the distinctive bullet profile and the gel-filled HP.  I called them right away and expressed my displeasure, as I bought this to use as a cheap alternative to function checking pistols since I carry the 147 standard Gold Dot in my Glocks.  When they lowered the price to 335.00 per case I bit thinking I had found some less expensive practice fodder.  They were at first trying to tell me tough luck but after a little talking they offered up a call tag to return the ammo.

Don't buy this thinking it is the standard bullet Gold Dot!
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Is this the stuff massammo is selling?

giod better or equal to 147 grain hishock? I typically buy some when when its in stock for back up to hst or gold dots. Im wondering if this stuff is at least "ok"
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 2:11:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

giod better or equal to 147 grain hishock? I typically buy some when when its in stock for back up to hst or gold dots. Im wondering if this stuff is at least "ok"
View Quote

I would have no issue using the Federal 9MS as a solid round coming off the bench to shore up my Gold Dots or HST. I would not use these  G2 rounds for serious business, they are specifically marked practice only for a reason.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I would have no issue using the Federal 9MS as a solid round coming off the bench to shore up my Gold Dots or HST. I would not use these  G2 rounds for serious business, they are specifically marked practice only for a reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1   much rather have  hydra shocks then that g2 load

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Massammo has them for $185 delivered for 700 rounds.  That's $13.20 a box, including a couple $10 ammo cans.  Speer Lawman is about the same price.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Is this the ammo in question?

mass ammo
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I paid $225 + $36 (tax) for  a case (1050). The guy who ordered it asked why it was labeled as training Ammo only and was told that if the bullet is not exactly 147 then it's relegated training only.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

mass ammo
View Quote

From the very poor picture they have, that looks like the G2 load that is trying to be dumped on the market.

Not very nice of them to say it's "government overrun" !!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I paid $225 + $36 (tax) for  a case (1050). The guy who ordered it asked why it was labeled as training Ammo only and was told that if the bullet is not exactly 147 then it's relegated training only.
View Quote

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!!  
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even worse than hyrda shocks? Damn
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#21]

I have 1400 rounds showing up, if this is the same stuff massammo was selling

Regardless, at cheaper than 147 FMJ rounds, it has to do a decent job at expanding vs FMJ rounds.

Ill be putting some back. Good ammo to have laying around at that price.

I wonder what would happen if one cleared the gel out of the hollowpoint
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Regardless, at cheaper than 147 FMJ rounds, it has to do a decent job at expanding vs FMJ rounds.

View Quote

cheaper than these?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

cheaper than these?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cheaper than these?

Not the same price, but you get nickel plated brass cases, flash suppressant powder, and a bullet that will expand from nothing to full, depending on the barrier.  It's $13.20 a box delivered, with two $10 cans.  Sell the cans and you have paid the same price as the Speer 147 TMJ delivered from SGAmmo.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

cheaper than these?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cheaper than these?

And I just found that today.

Thatll soon be my go to fodder ammo.

But I still feel great about this deal on the 147 grain Speer HPs.

I mean thats one hell of a bargain, even if they dont perform as well as the original gold dots.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

mass ammo
View Quote

You can tell that's the G2 because the clear stuff in the hollow point cavity.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Speaking of good training ammo...I bought a ton of the Blazer 115 gr HP back in the day when I found out they were using GoldDot projectiles, but loading them in the aluminum case.  Same FPS as normal GD 115, but they sold for $12 for 50 rds.

I called Speer and asked and, "Yes, that is the same bullet, but we don't  advertise that fact..."

The Blazer 115 HP was dropped from the line up a year or so later...

CSB.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mass ammo

Here is massammos response on questions asked about this ammo

I wont have my order until monday to verify.

From another member

Quoted:
Ok. So rather than believe the speculation I called MassAmmo..

I spoke with a nice young lady who advised me of the following.

These rounds were purchased from a distributor who supplies .gov agencies.

These are over run rounds

They are NOT REMAN

They perform as designed ballistically

She could not liken them to any certain round (GD, GD2) ect due to the fact they were purchased form the distributor in bagged quantities and not boxes bearing a certain indicator as to what round it is.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I mean thats one hell of a bargain, even if they dont perform as well as the original gold dots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cheaper than these?

I have two boxes of G2's. I have a feeling they will perform out of a longer barrel such as my pistol build that I'm working on currently. Shooting the Bull said he got them to expand with a 6 inch barrel.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#29]
GSL, What are you building? A 6" 9mm? Details?

Seriously interested
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

From another member

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mass ammo

From another member

Quoted:

They are NOT REMAN

She could not liken them to any certain round (GD, GD2) ect due to the fact they were purchased form the distributor in bagged quantities and not boxes bearing a certain indicator as to what round it is.

I don't know, I'm not going to call the lady that LawnGuy spoke to a liar, but to me, the origin of the ammo is still unclear, and I wouldn't trust it for SD until that lot is actually tested.  At that price, it's great shooting for fun ammo, but loose packed, no lot number to track it with?  I'm just not convinced.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't know, I'm not going to call the lady that LawnGuy spoke to a liar, but to me, the origin of the ammo is still unclear, and I wouldn't trust it for SD until that lot is actually tested.  At that price, it's great shooting for fun ammo, but loose packed, no lot number to track it with?  I'm just not convinced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mass ammo

From another member

Quoted:

They are NOT REMAN

Agreed, this ammo should never be carried for personal defense.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its going to be my MP5K ammo for the most part and training rounds for defensive loads.

That being said, given the choice between having ball and this stuff stuck in a corner. Ill take this stuff every single time, which is why I ordered 4 cases

Lets take the fact that the rounds may not expand. Even then you are still getting a killer deal for the nickel plated casings and good consistent loadings, with good powder. Its good ammo for the price barely above fodder any way you look at it to me.

My go to carry ammo is HST across pistol calibers anyhow.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Its going to be my MP5K ammo for the most part and training rounds for defensive loads.

That being said, given the choice between having ball and this stuff stuck in a corner. Ill take this stuff every single time, which is why I ordered 4 cases

Lets take the fact that the rounds may not expand. Even then you are still getting a killer deal for the nickel plated casings and good consistent loadings, with good powder. Its good ammo for the price barely above fodder any way you look at it to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent price for the ammo, and it's certainly made to a higher QC than bulk ball ammo.  It also works fine in longer barrels, an MP5K certainly has that.  Let's just say that it isn't going to fit everyone's needs equally.  I would buy it too, if it filled a need.  My only single concern is folks that might use it as SD ammo in short barreled pistols, where it's shown to not work as it should.  Aside from that specific usage, it's an outrageously good deal.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent price for the ammo, and it's certainly made to a higher QC than bulk ball ammo.  It also works fine in longer barrels, an MP5K certainly has that.  Let's just say that it isn't going to fit everyone's needs equally.  I would buy it too, if it filled a need.  My only single concern is folks that might use it as SD ammo in short barreled pistols, where it's shown to not work as it should.  Aside from that specific usage, it's an outrageously good deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure I understand.

If I had some accesss to gel I would test some, but I dont. Im really interested to see how theyll perform out of that K and a BHP
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Speaking of good training ammo...I bought a ton of the Blazer 115 gr HP back in the day when I found out they were using GoldDot projectiles, but loading them in the aluminum case.  Same FPS as normal GD 115, but they sold for $12 for 50 rds.

I called Speer and asked and, "Yes, that is the same bullet, but we don't  advertise that fact..."

The Blazer 115 HP was dropped from the line up a year or so later...

CSB.
View Quote
Now this post got me thinking. American Reloading is selling primed aluminum cases that were never fired; the bullets and powder were pulled. I'm wondering if 5.7 grains of True Blue on a 124 GDHP in an aluminum case would make for some light SD rounds.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#36]

1400 rounds

I wonder how hard it is to cook up some balistics gel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

1400 rounds

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/20160516_123910_zpsmy4bura0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/20160516_123910_zpsmy4bura0.jpg</a>

View Quote

Did you count them all to make sure?  I seen a guy complain online about being shorted 10 rounds in a similar purchase.  SMH

You could shoot them into jugs of water for a ghetto expansion test.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Did you count them all to make sure?  I seen a guy complain online about being shorted 10 rounds in a similar purchase.  SMH

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1400 rounds

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/20160516_123910_zpsmy4bura0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/20160516_123910_zpsmy4bura0.jpg</a>

No there is no way Im gunna count them.

Looks close enough. 3 of the 4 bags were split open so I could see how it can happen. Id imagine they weigh them in the sacks for a count as these were all loose rounds

Ive thought of doing that. Hell I may I got nothing to lose. I wish I had access to the real stuff to pull a few out randomly to see what they do.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

1400 rounds

View Quote

Still waiting on mine to arrive, is the head stamp 2014?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Looks close enough. 3 of the 4 bags were split open so I could see how it can happen. Id imagine they weigh them in the sacks for a count as these were all loose rounds

Ive thought of doing that. Hell I may I got nothing to lose. I wish I had access to the real stuff to pull a few out randomly to see what they do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1400 rounds

send a few to bluefalcon or 10mm for testing and a youtube video
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1400 rounds

2015 from the ones I looked at.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#42]
I ended up with 700 rounds of the mass ammo stuff.

Sure looks like g2 even if dgey wont say so. Mine are 2015 headstamp.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1400 rounds

Thanks. My old stock of this was all 2014. Looking forward to seeing how this performs when it arrives. UPS says 58 pounds, my delivery guy hates me
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks. My old stock of this was all 2014. Looking forward to seeing how this performs when it arrives. UPS says 58 pounds, my delivery guy hates me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1400 rounds

1400 rounds too ey?

I think mine was 58 pounds as well
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

1400 rounds too ey?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1400 rounds

1400 rounds too ey?

You betcha Couldn't pass this up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I went through many of those recalled/reclassified 250rd boxes of 124+p 9mm back in the day and never had any issues. I bought all I could I could at the time.  That was my carry load, so it was a nice cheap range round.  I probably still have some stashed someplace. I found a unopened wooden crate of sealed ammo cans of Aussie 7.62.51 one day while looking something.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I had bought more of the 124
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Mine finally arrived after UPS decided to reschedule the delivery, 2015 head stamp also and the newer style skives. I'm happy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top