Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2015 12:14:14 PM EDT
Buddy at work just bought one yesterday and I also carry one. I have speer gold dot 124gr +p in mine.

What other rounds can i suggest for him
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I use winchester ranger +p+, I think 127 gr.The only things I have shot with this combo, was a rabbit, and a deer, wounded by a car.Both were 1 shit kills!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I like 147 Ranger Bonded and Critical Duty 135's. Both shoot well and I like the recoil impulse.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Ranger T 147Gr.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I typically carry HST 124 grain (P9HST1), but lately I have switched over to HST 147 grain (P9HST2), because I am standardizing that round for both my Shield and my QC10 Suppressed SBR.  Both are awesome rounds even in short barreled firearms
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Now the fun part trying to find some
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on 147gr HST
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now the fun part trying to find some
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]
147 grain for the win.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#9]

+1

After reviewing shootingthebull410's test awhile ago, I settled on Winchester Defend, which is essentially the Winchester 147gr bonded rounds.  

I also have a small stash of 124gr HST and 124gr +p Ranger-T's, and I keep some Critical Defense around as well.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a full box of 147 hsts  full box of gold dot 124 standard pressure.  My full size 9 is loaded with gold dot 147.  So I'm set on my ammo for now my buddy has no clue.  He was using white box Winchester hollow points in his Taurus until I gave him some critical duty

I would tell him get the hst but can't find then
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:27:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Right now I have Winchester PDX1 124g+p loaded, after I use that up I have some Federal 147g HST.  Both run great in my shield and perform well in ballistics tests.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a full box of 147 hsts  full box of gold dot 124 standard pressure.  My full size 9 is loaded with gold dot 147.  So I'm set on my ammo for now my buddy has no clue.  He was using white box Winchester hollow points in his Taurus until I gave him some critical duty

I would tell him get the hst but can't find then
View Quote

Eagle Eye Guns have them, but they charge $0.10/round more than most vendors.  Probably why they have some stock.  I've ordered from them before and they're gtg albeit expensive.  P9HST2@EagleEyeGuns

ETA:  SGAmmo has the +P version for $24.95/box of 50.  SGAmmo is my absolute favorite online ammo vendor.  This +P round is also an excellent performing round out of a Shield.  Honestly, it doesn't feel that much hotter than the non +P version, but I prefer the standard pressure round only because I hear that +P rounds accelerate wear and tear on your Shield.  P9HST4@SGAmmo
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Winchester is now limiting the T series of 127 +P+ to Law Officers only.
I'm lucky to have purchased 6 boxes of it 2 years ago so I'm ok, but in searching I took a good luck at the Luck Gunner research on rounds from short barrels.  I'm going to begin stocking up on HST both +p and standard loads.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm lucky to have purchased 6 boxes of it 2 years ago so I'm ok, but in searching I took a good luck at the Luck Gunner research on rounds from short barrels.  I'm going to begin stocking up on HST both +p and standard loads.
View Quote

Not that I needed a reason, but sounds like a good one to not do any more business with Winchester.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:56:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I carry Black Hills 124gr. XTP JHP's. They might not expand as big as some current offerings on the market but they do expand reliably. Add penetration, accuracy, easy to find in stock and fairly priced 20 round boxes. BH use to sell them in 50 round boxes, not sure what happened there. Good consistent SD ammo though. No pretty nickel casings if that's your thing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:31:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not that I needed a reason, but sounds like a good one to not do any more business with Winchester.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May be a liability thing.  By definition +P+ is an out of spec, non SAAMI compliant, loading.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

May be a liability thing.  By definition +P+ is an out of spec, non SAAMI compliant, loading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marketing. They've been doing it for 10 years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The entire Ranger line is LEO only.  It's nothing new.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I use 124gr Gold Dot and my Shield is very accurate with it. Always feed 100% of the time. It's available just about everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I use 124gr Gold Dot and my Shield is very accurate with it. Always feed 100% of the time. It's available just about everywhere.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Winchester defend for me.  I Liked shooting the bulls reviews.  I Liked the fact that the Winchester train is just the cheaper practice ammo.  Cost wise its also good.  Id like to carry HST but its $35 for 20 rounds at the LGS and I never have enough money saved up too buy enough 50 round boxes online to offset the shipping.

If it crosses your mind I would avoid the Polycase ammo stuff.  Im sure it does what it is designed to do but it ricochets... bad... worse than FMJ (in my observations)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top