Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2015 8:50:01 PM EDT

https://youtu.be/n6EAulBm-r0

Polycase Inceptor ARX 107 gr  .40 S&W fired from 4.5" Glock model 22 into calibrated 10% gelatin and a level IIA Kevlar vest.

BB calibration: 588.7 fps, 3.6"

The vest is a Gall's Lite level IIA originally issued in 1995.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting, thank you very much.  I have been reading about this ammo and had wonderings.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting, thank you very much.  I have been reading about this ammo and had wonderings.
View Quote

Yeah, they made a big deal about the Ruger branded version of this stuff. Like any other gimmick ammo, it's just a bunch of hot air. Would have been kind of cool if they could just produce plain, low price practice ammo with the same injection molding technique.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I will admit that when I first saw the Ruger branded version being marketed that I had high hopes.

I came back to Earth slowly, after a little deep thought.

It is a shame.  I really wish a good gimmick round would come out.

Of course, if it was good, it wouldn't be considered a gimmick, would it?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:Would have been kind of cool if they could just produce plain, low price practice ammo with the same injection molding technique.
View Quote

I think they're working on it with the PolyCase RNP.

I think it would be a good reference video, the next time you are using gel, to show how the gel stretches and tears in a way that would not cause any damage in flesh.

Find some way to replicate the stretches and tears without shooting it, to demonstrate that "these don't mean sh*t unless the projectile is going 2000 FPS or so."

It would be good to have a reference video to quickly demonstrate this, to stop gimmick ammo misconceptions.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
i think that this latest crop of high velocity, non-expanding handgun rounds are just designed to make impressive temp cavities in gel to get more sales.  the dude over at military arms channel seems to have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.  

the only way that a temp cavity adds to the wounding effect is if it contacts a non-elastic organ and happens at a high enough velocity/energy level that the organ ruptures.  in one of Fackler's papers, he describes the effect of a temp cavity from a 5.45 round on a pigs liver...it basically emulsified it he said
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think it would be a good reference video, the next time you are using gel, to show how the gel stretches and tears in a way that would not cause any damage in flesh.

Find some way to replicate the stretches and tears without shooting it, to demonstrate that "these don't mean sh*t unless the projectile is going 2000 FPS or so."

It would be good to have a reference video to quickly demonstrate this, to stop gimmick ammo misconceptions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Would have been kind of cool if they could just produce plain, low price practice ammo with the same injection molding technique.

That's a good idea. Maybe I could just docs my fingers into it and tear it with my hands. If you have any ideas on what would best illustrate that concept, let me know.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the tearing appear when shot with ball ammo?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, but FMJ is lower velocity so the TSC is smaller and there is less tearing. Higher velocity = larger TSC and more tearing in the gelatin. Once velocity hits about 2,000 fps, it exceeds the elastic limit of most human soft tissue and you start seeing similar, though less dramatic tearing in real tissue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top