Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2015 12:11:52 PM EDT

https://youtu.be/vbYifnBIuaA

Please note, this is a solid copper projectile. Apparently the groove is just for looks.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have my opinion on this but I'll reserve it for the ammo scientists comments to see if I'm right.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no scientists, but if like to hear your opinion.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Just me thinking out loud but how many inches of penetration did we just see?

I have a coworker that is die hard 10mm. To the point of if you don't agree 10mm is the best, you're just shunned. When asked why he caries 10mm, "so I can shoot through car doors and barriers." while this is truetrue, how about child behind the guy you just shot? How about the child behind the child of the guy you just shot? To me, entirely to much penetration for any kind of self defense. I can be wrong but I preferably don't want to shoot the people behind the guy I just shot.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
This was a solid copper bullet. It penetrated 14" of gel, plus 18" of water. That should equate to approximately 25" of soft tissue, total. It's not a defense load, though.  Good JHP from a 10mm doesn't penetrate any deeper than any other caliber.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:I have a coworker that is die hard 10mm. To the point of if you don't agree 10mm is the best, you're just shunned. When asked why he caries 10mm, "so I can shoot through car doors and barriers."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:I have a coworker that is die hard 10mm. To the point of if you don't agree 10mm is the best, you're just shunned. When asked why he caries 10mm, "so I can shoot through car doors and barriers."
Ask him to find even ONE reputable account of a private citizen that needed to shoot through a car door to defend himself, or ask him what brain-dead-stupid scenario he envisions that he would ever need to shoot at a bad guy thru a car door.  He's blowing smoke.  He's lost in that fantasy where he's a special operations agent on a classified assignment.  

how about child behind the guy you just shot? How about the child behind the child of the guy you just shot? To me, entirely to much penetration for any kind of self defense. I can be wrong but I preferably don't want to shoot the people behind the guy I just shot.
I agree with you too much penetration, however think about where and when you would need to shoot at another human being in self defense.  Will it be in a crowd where a child or other citizen might be casually strolling along behind the perp, or will it be when you and the attacker are alone in some back alley, late at night in some gas station, etc?  

Speaking only for myself; I am not a cop, and no longer in the armed services.  My defensive handgun use has no resemblance to the handgun use of cops or soldiers.

Nevertheless, I love a good 10mm gel test whatever the results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top