Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2015 5:53:56 PM EDT
I broke one of my rules and bought a defense ammo I'm not familiar with. I've seen the effects of many different loads. Btw I also stayed within my personal believe that all quality maker defend jhp,s are pretty close in performance, at least in 9mm and above.

But the selection was small and I have no knowledge of this round,other then a few recommendations
. So what do I have with this 9mm 135 grn Hornady CD For my Glocks?
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I broke one of my rules and bought a defense ammo I'm not familiar with. I've seen the effects of many different loads. Btw I also stayed within my personal believe that all quality maker defend jhp,s are pretty close in performance, at least in 9mm and above.

But the selection was small and I have no knowledge of this round,other then a few recommendations
View Quote

Well, I worked a murder last week where the guy was shot 1 time in the stomach with critical duty, and by the time we arrived he was gargling. So, I would say it's effective.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, I worked a murder last week where the guy was shot 1 time in the stomach with critical duty, and by the time we arrived he was gargling. So, I would say it's effective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many thanks. Just not a round I've had experience with. And now I wont see many victims anymore. It seems big o n weight retention. I bought standard for my G43.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you described could have happened with any bullet. More details are needed.

Was this BG vs victim? GG vs BG? BG vs BG? O.I.C.? What happened immediately after the deceased was shot? If deceased was a BG, was he immediately incapacitated or was he still active and for how long? By the time someone arrived was it 1 minute, 10 minutes, 1 hour? How was it determined that it was a "Critical Duty" load? What caliber? Was the bullet recovered and was it expanded and to what diameter? Did it remain in the body or did it exit?

Without detailed information about the shooting there's no way to claim that the Critical Duty bullet design is effective or not as a SD or duty load.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I recently saw a demo of this round.  Where critical duty shines is through the consistency  through a variety of light barriers.  Sheetrock, auto glass, and light gauge steel.   The critical duty performed consistently. The HSTs  distorted and fragmented.

HSTs are sure pretty when shot into bare gelatin though.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary.
Critical Duty sacrifices some expansion for deeper penetration, which I prefer.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#6]
It does very well. Critical Duty is a bonded version of Critical Defense and an ideal weight being between 124 and 147. 147 would be better but not all guns can digest them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#7]
In my Glock 19 it runs just fine however in my Ruger LC9s it jams on the feed ramp.
The red tip acts as like a break and stops the round cold from feeding
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I recently saw a demo of this round.  Where critical duty shines is through the consistency  through a variety of light barriers.  Sheetrock, auto glass, and light gauge steel.   The critical duty performed consistently. The HSTs  distorted and fragmented.

HSTs are sure pretty when shot into bare gelatin though.  
View Quote

Pretty much what should be expected from a non-bonded round.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Hornady does not recommend the use of Critical Duty in any firearm with a barrel under 3.5inches as they will not achieve proper velocity to work as intended. For short barreled firearms, they recommend critical defense.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#10]
That was obvious in the lucky gunner tests posted around.  The .40 critical duty did not expand out of the short glock 27.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Better watch setback with those rounds.  That's what turned me off to them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:12:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I rechambered the same 135gr Critical Duty rd 25 times before I achieved measurable setback (.01").
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought the cannelure was supposed to prevent (or at least mitigate) this?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 1911 will set back bullets after being loaded a few times. That being said, it's a very accurate round that feeds exceptionally well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top