Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2015 12:17:56 AM EDT
It took me 10 years to realize this. There are 3 bullets in the picture below. A 9mm 115gr, a 27gr 5.7x28 SS195/SS198, and a 40gr 22lr. The 5.7 SS195 at 27 grains is by far the lightest bullet. However, because the SS195//SS198 bullet has an alloy core and not lead, at 27 grains it is almost the biggest bullet of the three projectiles!

Most people would think a 27 grain bullet would be tiny. I certainly did. I never understood how the 5.7x28 27gr bullet could be the least bit effective. I always pictured a bullet about half the size of a 22lr in my mind. But because the 27gr 5.7 bullet has an alloy core, it is much larger than I imagined. This in part explains the impressive wounding capability of the 27gr 5.7x28mm round. At almost 1" long and traveling at 2100fps out of a pistol, the tumbling and yawing 27 grain projectile can do a great deal of damage to soft tissue and bone.

Essentially every argument you have heard about the 5 7 being a wimpy little bullet that couldn't possibly be effective, is simply wrong and not based on fact. Compared to the 9mm, what the 5.7 lacks in diameter it certainly makes up for in length.

Who knew the 5.7x28 27gr bullet was this large? I sure didn't. I seriously pictured half of a 22lr.

Sorry, I deformed some of the bullets when pulling them. I have never done this before and went at it with a vice and a pair of pliers.

From left to right: 5.7x28 27gr bullet (loaded in SS195 & SS198 FN ammo), 9mm 115gr, 22lr 40gr

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

It took me 10 years to realize this. There are 3 bullets in the picture below. A 9mm 115gr, a 27gr 5.7x28 SS195/SS198, and a 40gr 22lr. The 5.7 SS195 at 27 grains is by far the lightest bullet. However, because the SS195//SS198 bullet has an alloy core and not lead, at 27 grains it is almost the biggest bullet of the three projectiles!

Most people would think a 27 grain bullet would be tiny. I certainly did. I never understood how the 5.7x28 27gr bullet could be the least bit effective. I always pictured a bullet about half the size of a 22lr in my mind. But because the 27gr 5.7 bullet has an alloy core, it is much larger than I imagined. This in part explains the impressive wounding capability of the 27gr 5.7x28mm round. At almost 1" long and traveling at 2100fps out of a pistol, the tumbling and yawing 27 grain projectile can do a great deal of damage to soft tissue and bone.

Essentially every argument you have heard about the 5 7 being a wimpy little bullet that couldn't possibly be effective, is simply wrong and not based on fact. Compared to the 9mm, what the 5.7 lacks in diameter it certainly makes up for in length.

Who knew the 5.7x28 27gr bullet was this large? I sure didn't. I seriously pictured half of a 22lr.

Sorry, I deformed some of the bullets when pulling them. I have never done this before and went at it with a vice and a pair of pliers.
From left to  SS198 FN ammo), 9mm 115gr, 22lr 40gr

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/harrishmasher/IMG_1906_zpscb9zwnks.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/harrishmasher/IMG_1904_zpshrebfdgx.jpg
View Quote
Which is why facts and real world performance are important.

"The bullet looks really big so it's more better" isn't based on fact either.  

"This in part explains the impressive wounding capability"  Impressive? The only time 5.7 is impressive is a AP subgun bullet hose from the P90. Birdshot has impressive wounding capability too, that does not mean it's effective enough to count on reliably for self defense. Much like birdshot, a lot of 5.7 ammo is high velocity and light, which leads to low penetration.

Unfortunately, 5.7 is bound by the same laws of physics as everything else. Just because it looks big doesn't change it's mass and performance.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a few problemos with that, though.

1) the yaw isn't through the entire length of the wound track. It can be several inches in, or it can only last for a few inches. When it is not yawing, the bullet is a .22

A) Even when it is yawing, it has a smaller surface area than an expanded 9mm HST through denim. [.22 in^2 v .24 in^2]

B) Then you how a problem of how it will yaw. Look at the (really poor ) graphic I made below, where the shot is *slightly* off a BGs critical structure:

If the 5.7 decides to yaw vertically, it could miss the mark when a similarly placed 9mm hollow point would have worked. Plan for Murphy, not Lady Luck.

2) It underpenetrates the 12" mark - generally under 10" out of the pistol.

3) Muzzle blast and flash are likely high. I admit that I have never fired a Five-seveN pistol at night - but I can only assume it is blinding. The majority of SD shootings happen at night. Good SD ammo in 9/40/45/223 will contain flash-suppressed powders. I have a feeling these do not.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"This in part explains the impressive wounding capability"  Impressive? The only time 5.7 is impressive is a AP subgun bullet hose from the P90. Birdshot has impressive wounding capability too, that does not mean it's effective enough to count on reliably for self defense. Much like birdshot, a lot of 5.7 ammo is high velocity and light, which leads to low penetration.

Unfortunately, 5.7 is bound by the same laws of physics as everything else. Just because it looks big doesn't change it's mass and performance.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is actually tons of info online about recent shootings of humans and animals with the 5.7. Fort Hood being a good case study for the effects of human targets. Everything I have read about actual shooting with the 5.7 suggest the round is very impressive on soft targets. But this post really isn't an argument about the effectiveness of the 5.7, I'm just pointing out the actual size of the bullet, which I found surprising.

If you are interested in reading about the effectiveness of the 5.7 round on soft targets. Here are a couple of suggestions:

Here is the most recent post I have seen. It was posted the other day by one of our soldiers overseas. He works with the Belgian military and they carry the Five Seven. It is a documented shooting with the 5.7 pistol and the findings from the Medical Examiners report. It is consistent with all the other reports I have read that involve shootings with human and animal targets and the 5.7.

http://fnforum.net/forums/5-7x28mm-ammunition/74050-ss198lf-vs-sporting-rounds.html

And here is a link to every living thing that was every shot with a 5.7 and what their friend's cousin thought about it ;) You need to read through all the posts and click on the links you want.
All 5.7 Shootings Ever

After reading all of that you can make an informed decision about the 5.7. That is pretty much how I learned about this round.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is actually tons of info online about recent shootings of humans and animals with the 5.7. Fort Hood being a good case study for the effects of human targets. Everything I have read about actual shooting with the 5.7 suggest the round is very impressive on soft targets. But this post really isn't an argument about the effectiveness of the 5.7, I'm just pointing out the actual size of the bullet, which I found surprising.

If you are interested in reading about the effectiveness of the 5.7 round on soft targets. Here are a couple of suggestions:

Here is the most recent post I have seen. It was posted the other day by one of our soldiers overseas. He works with the Belgian military and they carry the Five Seven. It is a documented shooting with the 5.7 pistol and the findings from the Medical Examiners report. It is consistent with all the other reports I have read that involve shootings with human and animal targets and the 5.7.

http://fnforum.net/forums/5-7x28mm-ammunition/74050-ss198lf-vs-sporting-rounds.html

And here is a link to every living thing that was every shot with a 5.7 and what their friend's cousin thought about it ;) You need to read through all the posts and click on the links you want.

All 5.7 Shootings Ever

After reading all of that you can make an informed decision about the 5.7. That is pretty much how I learned about this round.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All 5.7 Shootings Ever

Both parts highlighted in red...

But this post really isn't an argument about the effectiveness of the 5.7

Essentially every argument you have heard about the 5 7 being a wimpy little bullet that couldn't possibly be effective, is simply wrong and not based on fact.

You are indeed arguing that, and you've just posted a bunch of links that don't refute anything.

The 5.7 at worst under penetrates, at best does the same as any other handgun round.

"After reading all of that you can make an informed decision about the 5.7. That is pretty much how I learned about this round."

Yea, been down this road before on this site. Nothing of what you posted is ground breaking.

As I said, the 5.7 rounds are bound by the same physics as everything else.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Essentially every argument you have heard about the 5 7 being a wimpy little bullet that couldn't possibly be effective, is simply wrong and not based on fact.

You are indeed arguing that, and you've just posted a bunch of links that don't refute anything.

The 5.7 at worst under penetrates, at best does the same as any other handgun round.

"After reading all of that you can make an informed decision about the 5.7. That is pretty much how I learned about this round."
Yea, been down this road before on this site. Nothing of what you posted is ground breaking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All 5.7 Shootings Ever

Totally agree with everything you are saying. I'm still just surprised how big the 27gr bullet actually is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The proper bullet to compare the 5.7 to is the 9mm FMJ.  That is what it was intended to replace.

And, if you take into account body armor, it was reasonably successful, at least in the P90.

Is it's terminal performance actually superior to the 9mm FMJ on soft targets?  I don't know, and that is really like deciding which is the prettiest horse at the glue factory.

If I recall correctly, the aluminum core bullet is longer than the 5.56 M855 bullet.  So, yes, it is an extremely long bullet, especially for a handgun cartridge.

I do know that my PS90 is a chick magnet.  Maybe it is all those old StarGate tv shows.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

LOL at that link they say:

The skinny on the ss198lf is it is a long round about .85 inches with an aluminum core with the center of balance on the round is pushed further back... enough to tumble approximately once every 2.5-3 inches on a varying path... From the ME's estimate the round had tumbled off axis approximately 4-7 times.

Absolute BS.

All 5.7 Shootings Ever

The only human shootings on that page are a man who was killed by several 5.7mm shots, a guy who surrendered after being shot in the arm, and a medical examiner who said it looked like a wound from a 9mm 115gr +P+.

Oh, and an old Brassfetcher quote that it "works as well as a .45JHP" which he no longer claims.

Then, some hunting stories. Ah, hunting stories. I'm sure the animals were running full speed at 100 yards when they shot them, too.

Not to mention the one guy who claims the wound was 2-2.5" inches in diameter, then shows a picture where it is clearly smaller than a quarter.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#8]
So, even if I give you every benefit of the doubt (which I don't, but let's play a hypothetical), what we have here is a round that, at its best, performs like a 115-gr 9mm slug, and at its worst, much less than that.  

All that wonderful performance, and all I need is to spend enough money to buy two Glocks and twice the 9mm ammo.  Yay!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#9]

It seems to have no issues penetrating new manufacture Level IIIA body armor, and 12.5" of ballistic gel from the pistol :)

again that's the Duty AP round, and it's doing what it's supposed to do. What's been mentioned is right. Those that do yaw, and or tumble, are wildly unpredictable. in the above test, it yawed up, in previous tests from others, it has yaw/tumbled down.  

Looking at the wound channel, you'll see it yawed/tumbled only in the possible the last few inches, as the middle section appears to be temporary wound cavity.

I carry mine, and am confident enough in it's abilities to be on par with any standard service caliber. :)

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I've wanted to retest ss198 as that penetration seemed really low
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:19:36 AM EDT
[#12]
What about hand loading this cartridge with Barnes or other premium type .224" bullet?
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:05:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  What about hand loading this cartridge with Barnes or other premium type .224" bullet?
View Quote

It's the Pedersen problem - the cases are Teflon coated to aid extraction.  Once that coating is worn, or scratched, it's not as effective.  So you're going to consume quite a bit of new brass, if I understand correctly.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#14]
4-5 is the normal amount of times you can reload 5.7 cases if you know what you're doing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's the Pedersen problem - the cases are Teflon coated to aid extraction.  Once that coating is worn, or scratched, it's not as effective.  So you're going to consume quite a bit of new brass, if I understand correctly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  What about hand loading this cartridge with Barnes or other premium type .224" bullet?

Not really, the coating is quite strong and you can get a lot of reloads before it comes off. I usually lose the brass long before it wears out. I don't find 5.7x28 any harder to reload than 5.56. The problem seems to be people relate 5.7 to a handgun caliber, but it is really just a tiny rifle cartridge and with that, the proper reloading procedures must be followed. The brass has to be trimmed constantly and cases need to be lubed. It is a bit of a PITA to deal with the tiny cases though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top