Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2015 10:27:39 AM EDT
My Glock 30 and my Colt XSE like .45 230 gr. +P  TAP.  By far the most accurate in these two.  My other 1911's do well with Gold Dots. I'm down to my last few rounds of TAP though.
I emailed Hornady and asked them if a comparable round is available.  They were not helpful.  Anyone know if the HST round is close to the TAP as far as bullet design?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I love Hornady, but HST is by far a better round than TAP.  Critical Duty is also very good if looking to stick with Hornady.  As far as actual bullet design, they are not the same.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
All the above work about the same, and about the same as 230 FMJ, in the real world of street survival.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My Glock 30 and my Colt XSE like .45 230 gr. +P  TAP.  By far the most accurate in these two.  My other 1911's do well with Gold Dots. I'm down to my last few rounds of TAP though.
I emailed Hornady and asked them if a comparable round is available.  They were not helpful.  Anyone know if the HST round is close to the TAP as far as bullet design?
View Quote

HST has good accuracy in 45, and expansion is very good. Hornady still loads the xtp bullet in its Custom line, same velocity.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All the above work about the same, and about the same as 230 FMJ, in the real world of street survival.
View Quote

Real world of street survival?  Lol okay.
While all handguns with proper ammunition perform similarly, this does not mean that FMJ also performs the same.  Don't spew that garbage to someone asking a legitimate question.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:10:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

While all handguns with proper ammunition perform similarly, this does not mean that FMJ also performs the same.  Don't spew that garbage to someone asking a legitimate question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not going to spew garbage.  Unlike most shooters, I've actually studied this stuff..

I've talked with MEs and ER doctors, examined the photos, seen a number of bullets pulled from dead folks.   You can't tell from entrance, wound track or exit whether the bullet was a dollar a shot "premium hollow point" or a FMJ.   And when hollow points do stay in the body, a rare event, they exhibit a bit of nose deformation and maybe a bit of jacket shedding.     Mostly they just look beat up a bit.

OP can pay his money and take his choice.    

But handgun bullet expansion is mostly a myth.

TAP, Critical Defense, Black Talon, it's all marketing hype.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#6]
That's funny, I've studied this as well.  So has almost every major police agency in the country.  There's this Federal one that studied it pretty heavy too.  They say you are full of shit.  I've seen plenty of bullets pulled from formerly breathing humans.  FMJ rarely transfers all of its energy into soft mediums such as muscle.  Hollow points have shown time and time again to transfer more energy into fleshy things like people.  They are not perfect, but they are far superior to ball.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm not going to spew garbage.  Unlike most shooters, I've actually studied this stuff..

I've talked with MEs and ER doctors, examined the photos, seen a number of bullets pulled from dead folks.   You can't tell from entrance, wound track or exit whether the bullet was a dollar a shot "premium hollow point" or a FMJ.   And when hollow points do stay in the body, a rare event, they exhibit a bit of nose deformation and maybe a bit of jacket shedding.     Mostly they just look beat up a bit.

OP can pay his money and take his choice.    

But handgun bullet expansion is mostly a myth.

TAP, Critical Defense, Black Talon, it's all marketing hype.

View Quote

You've been refuted multiple times here and you still want to keep pushing it? My cousin's a carpenter, he wants to measure that chip on your shoulder...
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Refuted?

No, just contradicted.

If carrying "premium" jhp makes one more confident, then they're worth the price.  I'll pass.

What are we to believe, internet opinion or our lying eyes?

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Refuted?

No, just contradicted.

If carrying "premium" jhp makes one more confident, then they're worth the price.  I'll pass.

View Quote

You have some weapons grade wrong ideas. I'm in them medical field, I also follow the study of terminal ballistics and wounding mechanisms. Quality Modern JHP's do expand and penetrate well in 9mm, 40, and 45.  To disagree is to refute scientific findings.   If you end up in a shooting and your cheaper, good enough FMJ's over penetrate and hit an innocent; you will have a bad time.

My ignore list was empty.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Refuted?

No, just contradicted.

View Quote

I have worked as an investigator for the State ME and been an assistant county coroner.  

I have personally removed bullets from bodies and my best friend is a firearms examiner in a state crime lab.  He has seen the terminal performance of all the typical HP rounds issued to LE in Multiple OIS as well as those used by civilians.  

My experience and his he has shared with me say you are wrong.

Period.  

But you keep living your dream.

I'll keep carrying Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have worked as an investigator for the State ME and been an assistant county coroner.  

I have personally removed bullets from bodies and my best friend is a firearms examiner in a state crime lab.  He has seen the terminal performance of all the typical HP rounds issued to LE in Multiple OIS as well as those used by civilians.  

Period.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Refuted?

No, just contradicted.

Period.  

I was in the ME's lab when they pulled I believe 14 rounds of Black Talon (actual nickel case, black coating) out of a body from an Officer involved shooting in 1992 iirc.  You could see damage within the body that was consistent to the perfectly expanded star of the BT round.  The ME remarked though he was surprised the guy didn't go down until the femoral artery took a hit.. All of the rounds expanded as advertised with some being slightly deformed after striking bone.  I would think this means you are both right ..  What I do appreciate is that Gold Dot and most premium SD/LE rounds do not suffer jacket separation like cheap stuff, though I've seen cases where the jacket that shedded upon impact ended up slicing an aorta or just making a really nasty wound.  Of course you don't get good penetration when that happens.  I say buy a good bonded round, practice, and make sure you always carry.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bless your heart.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:34:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your stupidity is not really funny,particularly in a tech forum. Why don't you try "general discussion" forum and state your gospel there? I promise to follow you there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the input!  I tried Gold Dots, they work well in all of my 1911's except my Colt Lightweight Commander.  The last round in any of my magazines jams nose high hanging up on the top of the chamber.  The big brown truck just delivered boxes of the following: Hornady XTP,  Federal HST and Remington Golden Saber to try at my next range session.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the input!  I tried Gold Dots, they work well in all of my 1911's except my Colt Lightweight Commander.  The last round in any of my magazines jams nose high hanging up on the top of the chamber.  The big brown truck just delivered boxes of the following: Hornady XTP,  Federal HST and Remington Golden Saber to try at my next range session.
View Quote

What brand of mags?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What brand of mags?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What brand of mags?

Colt, Ruger and Chip Power mags
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Not that there's anything wrong with HST but, This should be very close to TAP.
https://www.underwoodammo.com/45-acp-p-230-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point/
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Also, Black Hills loads the XTP bullet in standard and +p loadings. Saw some at Cabelas the other day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top