Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2015 7:53:51 PM EDT
I am looking at getting a G20 gen 4 in 10mm, possibly the G40. I might use it as a night stand handgun after I get comfortable with it, but until then it will be a range gun. What I really would like to know is how you tell the difference between the lite loads and the full power ones. Is it just a matter of looking at feet per second and bullet weight? What are some good home defense or practice rounds for the 10mm? If you have any other info it will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Full power ammunition won't be found from the big 3 American ammunition manufacturers. Their stuff is expensive and weak. If you want full power 10mm you need to go with Double Tap, Underwood etc... Or load your own. Sig has a couple of new loads on the market but I haven't tried them yet. There is a pretty good 10mm specific forum, google it you'll find it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used some Remington 10mm that was pretty hot but in general store bought 10mm is weak. Remeber there are some 1911 10mms that are not capable of handling anything too hot; the G20 can.

Google 10mm chart. There is a nice chart on thefiringline that shows the weight and velocity of different loads. My work computer will not let me link.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Underwood is about as hot as it gets. Their 180 XTP  does ~1325FPS from my G20. (With 22lb SS RSA from Glockmeister)

Hornady is medium. Definitely 10mm territory, but not screaming like Underwood. I get ~1125FPS with 180 XTP's from my little G29. (This is my EDC setup)

Sig is hot. Not Underwood hot, but it's got some punch. More so than Hornady.

Armscor is on par with Sig. Solid 10mm power.

PPU is incredibly weak. It barely fell out of my ejection port. Also had very hard primers and was quite dirty. Good for malf drills...

PMC is on par with Hornady. The 200's shot very well for me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Underwood is about as hot as it gets. Their 180 XTP  does ~1325FPS from my G20. (With 22lb SS RSA from Glockmeister)

Hornady is medium. Definitely 10mm territory, but not screaming like Underwood. I get ~1125FPS with 180 XTP's from my little G29. (This is my EDC setup)

PPU is incredibly weak. It barely fell out of my ejection port. Also had very hard primers and was quite dirty. Good for malf drills...

View Quote

That's weird I chronographed some armscor a few weeks ago and it only averaged 953fps.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's weird I chronographed some armscor a few weeks ago and it only averaged 953fps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it the new Armscor USA? newer box design?

The older stuff that was made overseas wasn't very good IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Corbon 135gr is very hot and has performed well.

I hear excellent stuff about their DPX ammo.

I'd likely stick to 135-155 gr for home defense in my G20
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Join us here: http://10mm-firearms.com

Everything you had no idea you wanted to know about 10mm factory ammo: 10mm stats spreadsheet

The largest collection of 10mm gel tests that I know of: 10mm gel tests
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Full power ammunition won't be found from the big 3 American ammunition manufacturers. Their stuff is expensive and weak. If you want full power 10mm you need to go with Double Tap, Underwood etc... Or load your own. Sig has a couple of new loads on the market but I haven't tried them yet. There is a pretty good 10mm specific forum, google it you'll find it.
View Quote

The SIG V-Crown did pretty well:

Federal's 180 gr Trophy Bonded JSP is full power.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have used some Remington 10mm that was pretty hot but in general store bought 10mm is weak. Remeber there are some 1911 10mms that are not capable of handling anything too hot; the G20 can.

Google 10mm chart. There is a nice chart on thefiringline that shows the weight and velocity of different loads. My work computer will not let me link.
View Quote

It's a good idea to get a fully supported after market barrel for Glocks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Corbon 135gr is very hot and has performed well.

I hear excellent stuff about their DPX ammo.

I'd likely stick to 135-155 gr for home defense in my G20
View Quote

No lead core 135 gr 10mm will meet minimum penetration requirements for defense.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, the new packaging. I thought maybe my chrono was screwy so I fired a few round s of 9mm that I knew the velocity of and the chrono was reading correctly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yup, the new packaging. I thought maybe my chrono was screwy so I fired a few round s of 9mm that I knew the velocity of and the chrono was reading correctly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odd. Mine felt very toasty and ejected with authority. Weak lot maybe?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Some of the newer Glock barrels have as great of case support as aftermarket barrels.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:16:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Good to know. Gen 3 SF?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:27:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The newer barrels are much better than the old.   I haven't bothered replacing my gen 4 model 20 barrel.

If I was going to shoot a lot of hot ammo through my G20, I would get an aftermarket rod with a heavier recoil spring.  22lbs works pretty well for hot 10mm.
View Quote

What is a specific make / model of a 22 lb spring / RSA that will work in a G20 gen 4? Will it also work with the light loads or will I have to switch out springs depending on the ammo?

Thank you and everyone for the help so far
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What is a specific make / model of a 22 lb spring / RSA that will work in a G20 gen 4? Will it also work with the light loads or will I have to switch out springs depending on the ammo?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The newer barrels are much better than the old.   I haven't bothered replacing my gen 4 model 20 barrel.

If I was going to shoot a lot of hot ammo through my G20, I would get an aftermarket rod with a heavier recoil spring.  22lbs works pretty well for hot 10mm.

I can't think of the name but there is an adapter sold so you can use gen 3 rods in a gen 4 Glock.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Full power ammunition won't be found from the big 3 American ammunition manufacturers.
View Quote

How does this not count?

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Full power ammunition won't be found from the big 3 American ammunition manufacturers.

How does this not count?

http://img-realtree.com/sites/default/files/styles/gallery_scaled/public/content/essays/federal_1.jpg?itok=LfT8qllv

Because it cannot be found ANYWHERE.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does this not count?

http://img-realtree.com/sites/default/files/styles/gallery_scaled/public/content/essays/federal_1.jpg?itok=LfT8qllv

They make it but I can never find it. I have never even seen a box. Usual online places are always out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good to know. Gen 3 SF?
View Quote

My gen 3 sf has never had an issue with any hot loads including several different hot loads from underwood and BB..mines bone stock ....
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Join us here: http://10mm-firearms.com

Everything you had no idea you wanted to know about 10mm factory ammo: 10mm stats spreadsheet

The largest collection of 10mm gel tests that I know of: 10mm gel tests
View Quote

Thanks

Txl
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:PPU is incredibly weak. It barely fell out of my ejection port. Also had very hard primers and was quite dirty. Good for malf drills...
View Quote
lol  

Way to see the silver lining!  I somehow think the ammo manufacturer won't use that in their advertising.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does this not count?

I would love to try this stuff, but as others have said, its vaporware
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top