Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2015 4:31:19 PM EDT

Team,

Good Afternoon.  I'm new to EDC with my M&P Shield 9mm.  I have two small children at home, so my wife does not like me keeping a firearm in the house with a chambered round (I don't think it's a smart idea either, even with the gun stored high enough up where they can't possibly find/get to it).  As a result, when I get home each night, I unload my gun, replace the round that was chambered into the top of the mag, and in the morning, reload the gun.  I never thought about rotating (or cycling) the rounds in my mag, and that the constant chambering/unloading/chambering of the same round was causing it damage.  When I finally learned about cycling, I inspected my oh so favorite round, and realized that the bullet had been pounded into the cartridge about 1/8"-3/16" when compared to another round from the box.  So, what's the best way to cycle my EDC ammo?  As I cycle, the rounds are still being re-chambered a bunch, just less frequently, so eventually will the whole mag-worth of ammo need to be disposed of and loaded with new, un-cycled rounds?  Just looking for a bit of insight.  Thanks!

Docsdeer1

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, that expensive daily carry ammo will get worn from cycling through the pistol. Even without visible funkyness, give them a service lifespan of one year before replacement due to exposure to the elements of daily carry,,,heat cold sweat etc.

Repeated chambering of the same round over and over again is not ideal. Look up bullet setback. I would check for that round getting roughed up and scuffed from wear, after 6 chambering/ejections...it goes into the range day blasting pile.

Your situation with the home really calls for a better way to secure your defensive firearm. Please take a look into handgun safes, they are cheap insurance when children are around. Then you can secure your loaded and ready for use firearm, and avoid the daily loading/unloading issues.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Handgun safe and keep it loaded.

But if you insist, after a couple of chamberings you'll need to put that round in the range ammo stash. At your pace, you'll be going through a box of duty ammo a month. Kind of expensive, but certainly ensures that your weapon runs your duty ammo reliably.

When I rechamber rounds, I ease the slide forward while chambering the round from the magazine. Think of loading your weapon in slow motion, rather than just dropping the slide. This reduces the impact of the bullet on the feedramp. I have never had a round set back using this method. I just be sure to do a press check after loading to verify that the round chambered and is fully seated for carry.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:12:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys!  I thought that "riding the slide" with your hand when you load a weapon can cause malfunctions, no??
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:35:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, guys!  I thought that "riding the slide" with your hand when you load a weapon can cause malfunctions, no??
View Quote

Correct, but if you do a press check to verify that the weapon goes into battery then you shouldn't have a problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

When reloading at range, in training, and under stress, NO riding the slide. What I described above was the purely "administrative function" of loading your weapon at the beginning of the day in such a way as to reduce bullet setback (your original question). The press check after loading ensures proper chambering of the round in the pipe (you can verify that the cartridge is fully seated and the extractor claw is properly under the case rim). ANY other loading/reloading should be done with the full force of the slide. ALL loading should be done from the magazine, not directly into the chamber (except for pistols specifically designed to be able to do this, which isn't that many AFAIK).
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Define "press check."  Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Nevermind... youtube is a benefit for my previous "Define press check" comment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Set back can cause high pressure and can cause a malfunction.   There is one gun maker that will void the warranty if you chamber a round a second time.

I keep mine loaded and use the safe.

When I have to unload the chamber and then reload, I drop the round into the chamber and then drop the slide just enough to snap the extractor over the round.   Make sure your extractor is properly clearanced before doing this.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]
you can manually insert the round into the chamber and gently close the slide riding it forward.
Doing this will "jam" your pistol, because the extractor will hit the rim of the cartridge and get stuck, but i have found out that i can remedy this on my PPQ by  depressing the rear part of the extractor [your pistol may work differently] thereby lifting the extractor "hook" and making it snap shut. absolutely no stress on expensive bullets or cartridges this way. hope my explanation was understandable
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes.  I load my +1 in my Shield exactly that way.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:...There is one gun maker that will void the warranty if you chamber a round a second time.
View Quote

Could you point me to the mfr info on this? I've heard it before, but have never seen it in writing and always wondered if the mfr (whichever one it is) was actually referring to using reloaded ammo, rather than merely re-loading a round into the chamber a second time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Could you point me to the mfr info on this? I've heard it before, but have never seen it in writing and always wondered if the mfr (whichever one it is) was actually referring to using reloaded ammo, rather than merely re-loading a round into the chamber a second time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...There is one gun maker that will void the warranty if you chamber a round a second time.

Anyone..?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anyone..?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone..?

I've never heard it before.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:07:00 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, get a small lockbox and secure it on/to that high spot.

Though the children may not have the knowledge or strength to insert the magazine and rack the slide now, they will. Soon.

Further, a guest (or intruder!) could load the pistol, with disastrous consequences.

As to the technical portion of your question: Using calipers, I have measured the OAL (overall length) of a round loaded into a GLOCK pistol several times. The round was manually dropped into the chamber - not loaded via the magazine - and the slide dropped. No measurable OAL difference.

Granted, your ammunition is likely seated differently. Your Shield has a different chamber and breech face. My results do not necessarily translate to your situation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP, get a small lockbox and secure it on/to that high spot.

...The round was manually dropped into the chamber - not loaded via the magazine - and the slide dropped. No measurable OAL difference.

View Quote

Agree on the lock box.

My understanding is that you should always load form magazine to protect the extractor (round slides up under extractor, rather than extractor having to push over the rim of cartridge).

I always ease the slide forward and then give it a tap/shove to make sure it is in battery, then top off the magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top