Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2015 2:16:24 PM EDT
I will be carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT and bought both to try out, but can't decide which one to use.  Both run flawlessly in the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hornady Critical Defense
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
None of the above. Find a good FMJ ball ammo and use it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This exactly.  The problem with .380 and smaller rounds is not expansion, which is almost non-existent whatever wonder-bullet you use. The problem is penetration--little bullets don't have enough mojo to get to the vitals.   95 grain Ball is the best bet here.    Load up with inexpensive stuff like Federal American Eagle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#5]
We recently tested several hollow point rounds in .40/ 9mm/ and .380 in bare gel, heavy clothing, and auto glass.

The .380 loads were Critical Defense, Gold Dot, Federal HST, Federal Hydra Shok and FMJ

The Gold Dot was the top performer out of my Glock 42.

I was formerly of the belief that FMJ was an option in .380 but it passed through 2 blocks of ordinance geliten.

From this point forward I will only carry and recommend Gold Dot in .380
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out Hornady XTP or any of several manufacturers (Fiocchi, HPR, Precision One) loading XTP in .380. XTP, which is an older hollow point design, has a tendency to over-penetrate in service calibers like 9mm and .40, but in .380 it hits a sweet spot that offers pretty decent expansion and, most importantly, adequate penetration (>12") without over-penetrating (<18") like FMJ ball ammo. Another plus for Hornady XTP is the price and availability.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check out Hornady XTP or any of several manufacturers (Fiocchi, HPR, Precision One) loading XTP in .380. XTP, which is an older hollow point design, has a tendency to over-penetrate in service calibers like 9mm and .40, but in .380 it hits a sweet spot that offers pretty decent expansion and, most importantly, adequate penetration (>12") without over-penetrating (<18") like FMJ ball ammo. Another plus for Hornady XTP is the price and availability.
View Quote

This.  Any .380 isn't 100% likely to expand. But having a .380 that FMJs is better than one that expands so large it under penetrates... A common problem in almost any .380 HP load except XTP and, incidentally, hydrashoks
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm carrying Federal HST .380 in my G42.  Cost is $0.60 per round if bought in high quantity.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm carrying Federal HST .380 in my G42.  Cost is $0.60 per round if bought in high quantity.
View Quote

I was disappointed in HST gel performance.... 9.5" if I remember correctly.

The Gold Dot made 12" and expansion was very similar

I prefer HST in every caliber other than .380
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
WATCH THIS.  Seriously.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. .380 does not have the ability to push aside any more than a caliber diameter column of tissue and still penetrate adequately. And don't buy that Lehigh XP bullshit, either. "Hydrostatic" forces don't have any effect whatsoever at pistol velocity.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We recently tested several hollow point rounds in .40/ 9mm/ and .380 in bare gel, heavy clothing, and auto glass.

The .380 loads were Critical Defense, Gold Dot, Federal HST, Federal Hydra Shok and FMJ

I was formerly of the belief that FMJ was an option in .380 but it passed through 2 blocks of ordinance geliten.

View Quote

So, if you're ever attacked by gel, clothing or glass, you're in good shape.

If you're attacked by people, shoot ball.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry fmj, but for :-P, xtp is clearly the winner in 380

Txl
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or just carry a more effective caliber.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come on brah, 7 shots of 380 should be enough to stop even the angriest mob
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a big fan of hst but the tests I've seem of 380 hst have been underwhelming. I thought gold dot did decent though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Hornady Critical Defense

View Quote

You know that shit doesn't actually work right?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hornady Critical Defense

.380 or Critical  Defense?

I went to a full protocol gel test and it seemed to do ok. It was also very accurate for me.  Do you have some other data to share?

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I went to a full protocol gel test and it seemed to do ok. It was also very accurate for me.  Do you have some other data to share?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hornady Critical Defense

Crit defense. Buddy shot a buck 3 times with it point blank in the head, none even pretended to open
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
WATCH THIS.  Seriously.  
View Quote

its amazing that in this day & age, people still cling to archaic gun store cliches & ignore the wealth of information available.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Everything I have read and watched says the Federal Hydra Shock is the best performing 380 round. Given the choice of the 2 on your list, the Gold Dot would be my choice, it is a solid performer in 380, just not quite as good at the hydra from what I have read...
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Crit defense. Buddy shot a buck 3 times with it point blank in the head, none even pretended to open
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hornady Critical Defense

+1
My mom shot a opossum in the head with her LC380.  It took it like a boss and kept walking. I love Hornady, but Critical Defense is garbage.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:57:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I will be carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT and bought both to try out, but can't decide which one to use.  Both run flawlessly in the weapon.
View Quote

I feed the Winchester Ranger well in but penetration is shallow due to quick expansion; have seen 8" and less.

Check out ~
"380 +P Buffalo Bore Ballistic Gel Test" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/KVCsosglj8E

BUFFALO BORE
380  90 GRAIN JHP. ("+P ... I know, no such)
#27 C part number
Same as your P3AT, the Sig 238 barrel is 2.7" but results were strong for a 380:   hot 1150 fps gave
13 " penetration in Gel even while pushing   .497" expanded, jagged edged slugs.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/09/don-gammill-jr/gun-review-kel-tec-p3at-380/

Only my 2 cents for FYI to help you pin down what you want out of your 380. We just have to run the ammo thru, repearedly, each gun to see if it feeds 100% and has consistent accuracy, etc. No cheap way around it as we know especially with high expectations we all have.

Good luck !
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I carry Hornady's xtp load in my LCP. The xtp is a less-expanding bullet than most jhp's, and with the .380's limited energy I personally think that's a good thing. I used to carry the heavy 102-grain remingtion jhp with the assumption being: "If it expands, great; if not, it's still the heaviest bullet I can throw in this little gun." Problem was that testing consistently showed good expansion but substantial underpenetration with it; something like 8-9" in gel iirc. With the xtp, I'm giving up some expansion but gaining several inches of penetration.

That said, I do think penetration can be overdone as well. There's a lot of people who recommend the buffalo bore hardcast load for .380 users, but that's doofy. In every test I've found on it, it penetrates more than 30 inches, and sometimes near 50 inches. If my goal is simply a thru-&-thru, then a lot of fmj's will do that for me, with less cost and less wear on the gun. Even winchester's fmj-fp white box load can give me that - why pay buffalo bore prices to get USA white-box results imo...?

{edit - the buffalo bore jhp looks good; I'm specifically talking about their RN-FP lead-bullet load.}
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I know several big-city ER doctors  They laugh about Critical Defense.   It's expensive FMJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top