Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2015 9:43:19 PM EDT
Fired some of each, 115 grain FMJ.    I didn't chrono any of it, but the felt recoil seemed the same.   Seemed identical in every other way as well, same brass case, etc.

So what's the difference?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:30:32 AM EDT
[#1]
They're both good; the, 'American Eagle', though, is generally thought of as being slightly more powerful; and, after extensively using these two brands I'd say that is correct.  There have been well published Glock slide cycling issues with Federal, 'Champion'; but none that I know of with, 'American Eagle'.  Really, today, either one of these Federal (ATK/Vista Outdoor) brands is the equal of the other.  I've got boxes of both stacked up against the wall in my gun room.  The only caveat I'd offer is that:  Neither, 'Champion' nor, 'American Eagle' is suitable for self-defense use.  It's great practice ammo, though!
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Champion uses plated bullets. AE uses jacketed bullets.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Federal is really dirty.  AE is just dirty.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I now notice that the Champ box says "not for law enforcement use."

Hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hmmmmm.
View Quote

No FMJ bullet in the United States should be for LE use.

I buy whatever Federal load is cheapest. Here lately that has been Champion. I have had zero cycling issues with this ammo in 9MM, 40 S&W, 45 Auto and .223 Rem. in a variety of guns. The only gun that didn't like it was a Kahr CM40, but it didn't like anything that wasn't nickel plated.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hmmmmm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hmmmmm.

Quoted:

Probably dirty and underpowered enough that, when combined with a poorly maintained and under-oiled issue gun, could mess up qualification scores for departments that use FMJ for requalification/examination. The nice brands for serious paper punching are Speer Lawman and Federal American Eagle.

CCI Blazer and Federal Champion are cheap food for blasting, but I wouldn't use it when I'm doing stuff with a shot clock/trying to stay employed/shooting for a record in a personnel file.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Probably dirty and underpowered enough that, when combined with a poorly maintained and under-oiled issue gun, could mess up qualification scores for departments that use FMJ for requalification/examination. The nice brands for serious paper punching are Speer Lawman and Federal American Eagle.

CCI Blazer and Federal Champion are cheap food for blasting, but I wouldn't use it when I'm doing stuff with a shot clock/trying to stay employed/shooting for a record in a personnel file.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmmm.

Quoted:

Champion 115 was shot right next to AE 115;    I could tell no difference in felt recoil and the gun funcitoned perfectly.     Not underpowered by any means.    

I wonder if the cases are suitable for reloading?    Might load up a batch of fifty and see.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Never have noticed a difference myself, always buy both if the price is right.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Never a problem with either but...the FE seems to be much more dirty then many other FMJ I use.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know if they use different powders??
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Champion 115 was shot right next to AE 115;    I could tell no difference in felt recoil and the gun funcitoned perfectly.     Not underpowered by any means.    

I wonder if the cases are suitable for reloading?    Might load up a batch of fifty and see.
View Quote

I've always felt a little extra slide velocity out of AE 115g 9mm, but I've been shooting stuff from the Clinton Administration, so AE might have gotten cheaper in the years gone by as well. Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I might chrono both and see.    My gut tells me they're the same velocity load.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Champion uses plated bullets. AE uses jacketed bullets.
View Quote

This is consistant with my experiance and the ammo I have on hand right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top