Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2015 11:39:04 AM EDT
I want to stock up on something better than wolf steel, but not as expensive as premium SD ammo (ex. HST).

For 223 I am getting some wolf gold. It seems like a good compromise between price and performance, given I don't want to spend a ton of cash stocking up on premium ammo.

What do you guys recommend for something in 9mm that performs decently. I was thinking maybe around .35ish per round shipped from a competitive online dealer for a 1000 rnd case?

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Cannot go wrong with Winchester 9mm 124 gr NATO   -  Q4318 on the box.

Depending on the deal you find, $13 - ~$15/box of 50  A little less by the case.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester/500-round-case-9mm-nato-124-grain-winchester-mil-spec-ammo-q4318
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Would you recommend I spend more? It sounds like 115gr isn't the best for SD and I probably want. JHP, right?  I'm looking for something I could barter with if times get desperate/shtf, without breaking the bank. I already have a small surplus of HST as my primary self defense stock.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Depending on the deal you find, $13 - ~$15/box of 50  A little less by the case.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester/500-round-case-9mm-nato-124-grain-winchester-mil-spec-ammo-q4318
View Quote

The price point on these is great. What do you think about my comments just below your post?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to have ammo as an investment just get quality 115gr practice ammo. You'll get you best return out of that.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/1000-round-case-9mm-luger-federal-american-eagle-115-grain-fmj-ammo-ae9dp

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I would buy Speer before I bought Winchester.

Speer Lawman 147 gr. TMJ for $259 a case shipped.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/speer-lawman-9mm-luger-ammo-147-grain-tmj-53620-p-930.aspx
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This!

About 10% hotter than regular 124 gr., but not +P, and a sealed primer
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on Q4318.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Im not looking to invest for the purpose of making a profit in the future.  

I'm planning for an extreme shortage of ammo where people might be desperate to buy/trade for any decent SD rounds.  Isn't FMJ a poor performer for stopping threats given lack of any  expansion plus problems with overpenetration?

I've been eyeing XM9001 given the low price. The primary issue with iit that I've found is lack of expansion when penetrating denim, otherwise it appears to be a decent round.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#10]
9BPLE is tried and true round that wont break the bank.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
9BPLE is tried and true round that wont break the bank.
View Quote

Hard to argue with that. It's not my favorite load, but its one of my favorites. At ~35 cents per round, it's somewhat higher than fmj, but hugely less than most good jhp's. I don't sweat the +P+ thing too much; from everything I've read over the years, it's just because it's near the top end of the +P range, and in few circumstances or incidences (high temps, etc), a round will occasionally exceed the 38,500 of +P; it's not that every round always exceeds +P. In my full-size guns, it's one of the more common loads I carry.

SGAmmo has it for $339 per thousand: http://sgammo.com/product/federal/1000-round-case-9mm-luger-p-federal-115-grain-hollow-point-ammo-9bple

It does tend to be on the low end penetration-wise (as 115's often do), but imo it outperforms most anything anywhere near its price. If I were hard up for self-defense ammo and you were looking to sell me some (which sounds like what you're describing), I'd pay substantially more for 9BPLE than for fmj stuff. Bonus is, that it's good self-defense stuff even for your own use as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/speer-lawman-9mm-luger-ammo-147-grain-tmj-53620-p-930.aspx
View Quote

This. Great stuff
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
everybody's just recomending fmjs...  at your price-point quality hollow points are pretty tricky to find.

maybe freedom munitions?  if resale is your end-game, most people won't have heard wisperings about questionable reliability.

new 115g 23cpr

new 124g hornady xtp 37cpr
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]
147 fp fmj would be my number 1 choice followed  9mm nato.

147 fp fmj is also woods load and kills animals pretty well
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Hornady American Gunner, Federal White Box Hi Shok, Winchester White Box JHP, Remington UMC JHP. They aren't premium, they work ok, I'd expect issues through barriers. The Hornady and Federal probably have slightly higher qc. Sometimes Remington Golden Sabre can be had at a decent price.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This. Great stuff

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Great stuff

i tried 200 rounds of that a few weeks ago.  it was way, WAY dirtier than the GECO 9mm i usually shoot

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you go nato ball why not zqi its like 9$ a box at walmart.  Or jhp how about 9bple
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm planning for an extreme shortage of ammo where people might be desperate to buy/trade for any decent SD rounds.  Isn't FMJ a poor performer for stopping threats given lack of any  expansion plus problems with overpenetration?

I've been eyeing XM9001 given the low price. The primary issue with iit that I've found is lack of expansion when penetrating denim, otherwise it appears to be a decent round.
View Quote

in this situation people will take whatever they can get.

IMO just buy a good 115 or 124gr FMJ and call it good. The little bit of money you save will allow you to buy more. I've had the best luck with S&B 115gr and Fed AE 115gr FMJ's. The S&B is around $220/case at SG.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

IMO just buy a good 115 or 124gr FMJ and call it good. The little bit of money you save will allow you to buy more. I've had the best luck with S&B 115gr and Fed AE 115gr FMJ's. The S&B is around $220/case at SG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

where is 'SG'?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#21]
He prob means SGammo.com
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I think he meant Sportsmans  Guide

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/sellier-bellot-9mm-ammo-115-grain-fmj-1000-rounds?a=616639

Just picked up 1k, and if you dont have the buyers club, do the 30 day trial for $214 shipped.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#23]
If you get into reloading, you can do a reload with hollow point for $0.18 - $0.25 each for average hollow point and maybe $.40 - $0.50 for premium like gold dot. For your supply of brass you can use the leftovers from your normal target shooting, depending on how much you are doing. For me it's about 200-300 rounds a month of Winchester white box or Remington. That roughly 3-5 months to get to 1000.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you get into reloading, you can do a reload with hollow point for $0.18 - $0.25 each for average hollow point and maybe $.40 - $0.50 for premium like gold dot. For your supply of brass you can use the leftovers from your normal target shooting, depending on how much you are doing. For me it's about 200-300 rounds a month of Winchester white box or Remington. That roughly 3-5 months to get to 1000.
View Quote

So basically, you can save your time, effort of gathering supplies and money spent on the investment into equipment and just buy factory ammo for the same price.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So basically, you can save your time, effort of gathering supplies and money spent on the investment into equipment and just buy factory ammo for the same price.
View Quote

Not really. The unit price on okay quality plinking copper/brass ammo is around $0.25-$0.30 a round. Sometimes you can get deals a few cents under that but that is the norm.

By comparison you can do a plinking reload with bullet ($0.10-$0.14 ea), primer ($0.03 ea) and powder (5-6 gr, $0.02 @ $25/#) for about $0.15-$0.18. You can even get some cheaper hollow points in that range. That's about 40-50% savings. Even if you bought new brass, you would average the cost over many reloads to be about $0.005 - $0.02 per load.

With how much I would like to shoot (and my only limiting factor being cost of ammo), I will probably have my ROI in 1 to 1.5 years.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Me personally, 9mm is one of the calibers I load for, but nowadays I pretty much buy factory stuff for range use. I don't dispute the reloading costs above, but I can get fmj stuff for 22-26 cents per round. For that matter I can get brass-cased, boxer-primed fmj stuff for 25-27 cents right at walmart, without even going the mail order route. That works out to what... maybe $4 per 50 more than reloading fmj does..? May be off slightly, but not too far off.

My thought is simply this - spending that extra $4 per 50 for factory ammunition rather than shooting my reloads, is getting me once-fired brass for only eight cents per round. Since I do sometimes reload 9mm, since I like having lots of components on hand for reloading, and since this brass is a known-quantity to me (as opposed to buying unknown, allegedly 'once-fired' brass from a stranger), I really see no downside at  it as darn near breaking even in the long run.

When I started loading back in the 80's, I could load lead-bullet stuff in .38, 9mm, and .45acp for around $2-3 per box, and that's what I mostly shot. Nowadays I rarely shoot lead bullets in 9mm anymore, so that jacks up the cost of my reloads somewhat. I still reload and will continue to do so; but in 9mm at least, the savings right now isn't as big an issue as it used to be.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

where is 'SG'?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

where is 'SG'?

I meant SGammo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Me personally, 9mm is one of the calibers I load for, but nowadays I pretty much buy factory stuff for range use. I don't dispute the reloading costs above, but I can get fmj stuff for 22-26 cents per round. For that matter I can get brass-cased, boxer-primed fmj stuff for 25-27 cents right at walmart, without even going the mail order route. That works out to what... maybe $4 per 50 more than reloading fmj does..? May be off slightly, but not too far off.

My thought is simply this - spending that extra $4 per 50 for factory ammunition rather than shooting my reloads, is getting me once-fired brass for only eight cents per round. Since I do sometimes reload 9mm, since I like having lots of components on hand for reloading, and since this brass is a known-quantity to me (as opposed to buying unknown, allegedly 'once-fired' brass from a stranger), I really see no downside at  it as darn near breaking even in the long run.

When I started loading back in the 80's, I could load lead-bullet stuff in .38, 9mm, and .45acp for around $2-3 per box, and that's what I mostly shot. Nowadays I rarely shoot lead bullets in 9mm anymore, so that jacks up the cost of my reloads somewhat. I still reload and will continue to do so; but in 9mm at least, the savings right now isn't as big an issue as it used to be.
View Quote

All this, plus if you have one of the many firearms out there whose warranty is voided by shooting reloads, that is something to consider as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I want to stock up on something better than wolf steel, but not as expensive as premium SD ammo (ex. HST).

For 223 I am getting some wolf gold. It seems like a good compromise between price and performance, given I don't want to spend a ton of cash stocking up on premium ammo.

What do you guys recommend for something in 9mm that performs decently. I was thinking maybe around .35ish per round shipped from a competitive online dealer for a 1000 rnd case?

View Quote

I like this one for decent SD ammo to stash away:

http://sgammo.com/product/federal/50-round-box-9mm-federal-147-grain-hi-shok-jhp-hollow-point-ammo-9ms

Federal 9MS, part of the Federal Hi-Shok Classic line.  It's probably on par with the Winchester White Box JHP in 147 grain, another good performer, but I've feel that the Federal is loaded a bit hotter, maybe because the 9MS we see these days is usually contract overruns for LE agencies.  I prefer newer stuff like Gold Dot or HST, but I would have no issues using either the WWB or the 9MS in my EDC if the newer premium stuff wasn't available.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn't mind having a case of XM9001 for emergency stash at 14 bucks a box.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:00:22 AM EDT
[#32]
XM9001 or 9BPLE are the best deals going for quality 9mm. Not the best performers but definitely not a bad round either.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:49:18 AM EDT
[#33]
How would the Remington 147gr HTP stack up for this intended purpose?  Seems to be available at a good price.

Or are the Golden Sabers the better of the two??
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Is the PPU 9mm any good? Brass case, blue box.

What about Wolf steel case?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How would the Remington 147gr HTP stack up for this intended purpose?  Seems to be available at a good price.

Or are the Golden Sabers the better of the two??
View Quote

Golden Saber would be the better of the two.  Not my favorite round, but if you can get it cheap it would be an acceptable option.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is the PPU 9mm any good? Brass case, blue box.

What about Wolf steel case?
View Quote

For plinking the PPU is excellent. I have several thousand of the 124 grain stashed away. 9mm FMJ does not have a good reputation for "stopping power". The Wolf is crap as far as I"m concerned but other people think differently.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I keep eyeballing this but haven't tried it. Anyone have some feedback?
IMI9EXC 1000Rrd Case of IMI 9mm EX-STAR HP Ammunition $219.00
IMI 9mm
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

IMI 9mm
View Quote

Note this warning at the  font-style: italic;']This is ammunition has a very hard primer and it designed for the full auto or semi-auto UZI's. It works great in all full size 9mm pistols. It does not work well in the sub compact 9mm pistols.[/span]

[span style='color: rgb(255, 0, 0); font-style: italic;']

[/span]

I could always use some more ammo for my UZI but I'd just as soon save some money and get FMJ instead of JHP.  If there was free shipping on the ammo, I'd probably pick up a case to give it a try.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Note this warning at the  font-style: italic;']This is ammunition has a very hard primer and it designed for the full auto or semi-auto UZI's. It works great in all full size 9mm pistols. It does not work well in the sub compact 9mm pistols.[/span]
[/span]
I could always use some more ammo for my UZI but I'd just as soon save some money and get FMJ instead of JHP.  If there was free shipping on the ammo, I'd probably pick up a case to give it a try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMI 9mm

[/span]

Good to know. Wife is on a support Israel kick so all IMI purchases gain me points where other brands get a raised eyebrow.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
here's my results of the Winchester white box 147 through water jugs

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/5521.JPG

View Quote

WWB 147grn JHP is actually a decent performer for it's price and availability, I put it on par with the Federal 9MS.  I would have no qualms using either load if I couldn't find HST, GDs, or Rangers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top