Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2015 10:06:57 PM EDT
From everything I've read the 147gr hst is great but I can't find any anywhere. Only stuff I can find is 124 gr in standard +p and 147 +p.

Just wondering what you guys would suggest for a 3.85 inch barrel.  Most of the videos I see of the 147gr +p show great penetration and expansion. But all the videos I've seen are of 3'' barrels.

With the greater velocity cause the bullet to expand to fast and nor penetrate enough?

Plus I've read that HK doesn't recommend +p in the P30.

I'd like to buy 1000 rounds to stock up and can't decide which one to go with.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:28:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a few hundred rounds of +P 147.

Personally, I'm would go for the highest velocity I can get:  the +P.

I also don't shoot a high volume of the "good stuff" in practice/training; carry +P and train with standard prressure.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:37:22 AM EDT
[#2]
To be honest, I think any of the 124 or 147 HST +P or standard pressure rounds would be good carry rounds.  I have a Shield, and have shot all four types of HST and they all allow my gun to function well.  But I pretty much carry the std. pressure 124 gr. HST.  I have practiced with those the the most and am confident carrying them, and also have a decent amount on hand.  STB410 ammo tests were directly applicable to the Shield so I wouldn't have any reservations on carrying any of them.

I don't think you have to worry with any of those HST types in your gun as long as your gun shoots reliably with each type.  Look at tnoutdoors9 HST ammo tests.  He shoots them from a Glock 19 (4" barrel).  I bet your gun would get similar results.  Carry what allows you to feel confident.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys. I did watch tnoutdoors9 videos and he showed sub parents penetration with the 146gr+p.  All the other videos I saw it performed great, but they were with 3" barrels.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
No point running +P in a shield IMO
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys. I did watch tnoutdoors9 videos and he showed sub parents penetration with the 147gr+p.  All the other videos I saw it performed great, but they were with 3" barrels.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys. I did watch tnoutdoors9 videos and he showed sub parents penetration with the 147gr+p.  All the other videos I saw it performed great, but they were with 3" barrels.

Actually, his test gun is the Glock 19 which has a 4 inch barrel in all the tests I have viewed.  He has tested these rounds multiple times, so you may have caught some videos where he he was not using the Glock 19 as his test gun (before 2002).  Links below
HST 147 gr. +P from a Glock 19
HST 124 gr std. press from a Glock 19 (along with 3 other cartridges)
HST 124 gr. +P from a Glock 19
HST147 gr. std. press. from a Glock 19

and finally, his video on selecting his EDC ammo is instructional and interesting where he carries HST 147gr std. press, but also said he would  be open to carrying the +P version along with four other loads.  I appreciate his tests and videos along with STB410's 9mm Ammo Quest (where he does use a sub-compact handgun with a 3 inch barrel)
tnoutdoors9 EDC ammo choice
Again, in all of these videos, he is using a Glock 19 which has a 4 inch barrel.

You are right that HST's are a pain to find for reasonable prices.  When you see them available, you pretty much have to jump on them immediately.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

FIFY
147 standard pressure FTW
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
In 9mm, whatever you can find.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#9]
op where do you have a source of the 124 stuff?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
FIFY

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

147gr HST standard pressure has been non-existent for about a year now

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys. I did watch tnoutdoors9 videos and he showed sub parents penetration with the 146gr+p.  All the other videos I saw it performed great, but they were with 3" barrels.
View Quote

I'd echo earlier statements that any variety of HST in (mm would be a fine carry load, with the possible exception of the +p loads if you're concerned with getting penetration more in the middle of the FBI spec as opposed to the low end, especially out of longer barrels.  

My personal preference is the standard pressure 124 grain variety. It performs well in both of my primary summer and winter handguns and my main practice load is a 124gr standard pressure, so point of impact and recoil will be quite similar.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
op where do you have a source of the 124 stuff?
View Quote

If you are asking about HST 9mm 124 gr. std. pressure, you have two choices:
P9HST1: LE Version, usually in 50 round boxes - $0.50 to $0.70/round
P9HST1S: Civilian Version, usually in 20 round boxes - $0.99 to $1.50/round

These have been tested by a few people and there does not appear to be any difference in ballistic, penetration and expansion performance.  P9HST1S can be found more often than P9HST1, but at 2X the cost of the LE version.  Like I said, it's hard to find HST 9mm ammo at reasonable prices.  Right now, I see the LE version available at 2 places:
Bone Frog Gun Club - P9HST1 (50 rounds) $0.50/round
Eagle Eye Guns - P9HST1 (500 rounds) $0.65/round

I have no experience with Bone Frog Gun Club (caveat emptor), but I have purchased P9HST2 (147gr. std. press) from Eagle Eye Guns in March this year, and the experience was good.  Eagle Eye Guns seem to have an elevated price level for HST LE ammo, but they have some still less than what you can find for the civilian version.  I topped up my 147gr stash when I saw that they had some.  I don't hoard it (some people say anything above a few hundred rounds IS hoarding) but I like to have around 500 rounds on hand.  Same with the 124 gr.  The last place I bought the 124 gr was  at SGAmmo (top notch IMHO), but haven't seen any 9mm HST there for quite a while.  I do shoot a couple of magazines worth out of my Shield at the end of most range trips (at least once/month)
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Actually, his test gun is the Glock 19 which has a 4 inch barrel in all the tests I have viewed.  He has tested these rounds multiple times, so you may have caught some videos where he he was not using the Glock 19 as his test gun (before 2002).  Links below

and finally, his video on selecting his EDC ammo is instructional and interesting where he carries HST 147gr std. press, but also said he would  be open to carrying the +P version along with four other loads.  I appreciate his tests and videos along with STB410's 9mm Ammo Quest (where he does use a sub-compact handgun with a 3 inch barrel)
Again, in all of these videos, he is using a Glock 19 which has a 4 inch barrel.

You are right that HST's are a pain to find for reasonable prices.  When you see them available, you pretty much have to jump on them immediately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got them mixed up. Thanks gor the info.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
From everything I've read the 147gr hst is great but I can't find any anywhere. Only stuff I can find is 124 gr in standard +p and 147 +p.

Just wondering what you guys would suggest for a 3.85 inch barrel.  Most of the videos I see of the 147gr +p show great penetration and expansion. But all the videos I've seen are of 3'' barrels.

With the greater velocity cause the bullet to expand to fast and nor penetrate enough?

Plus I've read that HK doesn't recommend +p in the P30.

I'd like to buy 1000 rounds to stock up and can't decide which one to go with.
View Quote

I'm very disappointed if this is true. Can you tell me where you saw that?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Here.

$30.99 a box of 50
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#16]
That elusive 9mm 147 grain HST is hard to get.
Makes me mad I couldn't get the 2 - thousand round cases with matching Lot numbers.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Agreed.  I would love to run regular pressure.  All I can find is +P.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top