Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2015 10:48:40 AM EDT
Not hunting - in case the air horn fails.

GF, w/ 3 kids, 2x grandparents, & family friend hiking 6 miles through national forest in Montana.  Family friend carrying .357" .44" Magnum revolver, no control over ammo in that gun.  Other two guns are an AR in .458" SOCOM, & a S&W .44" Magnum.  My LGS has Winchester white box 240 grn jacketed soft point, is that good to go, or do I need to look for heavier &/or solids?  Local range only permits practice w/ .44" Special.

ETA:  Family friend has upgraded to .44" Magnum.  So - two .44" Magnum revolvers, & one .458" SOCOM AR.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Garrett hammerheads, buffalo bore or federal castcore.  Hardcast lead 300+ grain
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#2]
LEE 210gr Flat-point Gas-checks.

With a max load of H-110 / win-296 magnum powder.

note 45ACP brass case for size comparison

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Winchester Black talons.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Garrett hammerheads, buffalo bore or federal castcore.  Hardcast lead 300+ grain
View Quote

Unfortunately, I don't reload yet.  Imagine I can get Buffalo Bore @ Cabela's or Bass Pro.  I'll see what I can find.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:...Unfortunately, I don't reload yet. ....
View Quote

well,...if you're gonna shoot magnum revolvers, you really should look into it.

the best way to learn to handle full magnum loads, is to work your way up, starting with mild loads, then meduim, ...

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
None. Use a 12 guage with slugs. That's what most in the know in AK use. I once carried a 44 for browns in AK while fishing. Never again. A 44 is almost useless against a brown or even the smaller grizzly coming at you at 35 MPH with its head bouncing up and down. After my encounter in which I didn't have to shoot (False charge-thank God), I sold all my 44s.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

the best way to learn to handle full magnum loads, is to work your way up, starting with mild loads, then meduim, ...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...Unfortunately, I don't reload yet. ....

Yeah - I'm not going to shoot magnum revolvers.  God forbid the GF might, @ a bear, if the .458" SOCOM goes down.  The rest of the time she'll shoot .44" Specials @ the gun club that prohibits magnum headstamps.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  None. Use a 12 guage with slugs. That's what most in the know in AK use. I once carried a 44 for browns in AK while fishing. Never again. A 44 is almost useless against a brown or even the smaller grizzly coming at you at 35 MPH with its head bouncing up and down. After my encounter in which I didn't have to shoot (False charge-thank God), I sold all my 44s.
View Quote

Well, for long guns, I can send her w/ a .458" RR SOCOM upper on her AR, or a 12 ga 870 pump w/ 18" cylinder bore bbl.  Still sending her w/ the .44".
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I don't reload yet.  Imagine I can get Buffalo Bore @ Cabela's or Bass Pro.  I'll see what I can find.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Garrett hammerheads, buffalo bore or federal castcore.  Hardcast lead 300+ grain

All of those are available at cabelas
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  And thanks for reading the OP.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#12]

That is some horsepower in a handgun.

•Muzzle Velocity: 1350 fps
•Muzzle Energy: 1032 ft. lbs.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

But not compared to this.
The 12 gauge Core-Lokt Ultra sabot bullet is a .50 caliber, 385 grain HP semi-spitzer. The catalog MV is 1900 fps and the 100 yard velocity is 1648 fps. The ME is given as 3086 ft. lbs. and the remaining energy at 100 yards is 2325 ft. lbs. The trajectory of that load looks like this: +1.8" at 50 yards, +2.4" at 100 yards, and +/- 0" at 150 yards.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  But not compared to this.
The 12 gauge Core-Lokt Ultra sabot bullet is a .50 caliber, 385 grain HP semi-spitzer. The catalog MV is 1900 fps and the 100 yard velocity is 1648 fps. The ME is given as 3086 ft. lbs. and the remaining energy at 100 yards is 2325 ft. lbs. The trajectory of that load looks like this: +1.8" at 50 yards, +2.4" at 100 yards, and +/- 0" at 150 yards.
View Quote

Please read the OP CAREFULLY.  The .44" Mag is in addition to a long gun.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  But not compared to this.

I know, I did read it, just emphasizing the power of a slug.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Be sure to read the warning on Buff. Bore .44 I mistakenly bought a box, got it home and saw that it was not recommended for S&W model 29.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Be sure to read the warning on Buff. Bore .44 I mistakenly bought a box, got it home and saw that it was not recommended for S&W model 29.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch.  Thanks for the heads up.  I think that is what she's got.  I'll check.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they offer a few different loads.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#19]
i would recommend a 12 gauge with breneke black magic 3'' slugs for bears.

but for the 44, especially s&w i would stick with the cor bon hunters. good round, and wont damage your gun. i would stay away from soft points and hallow points, the hard cast type work good for punching holes in.....everything, if you want to run the real big loads, buy a ruger super redhawk or redhawk
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:34:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Soft points. Seriously. You'll get plenty of penetration and they are soft skinned animals.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Underwood makes a 305gr flat nose gas check.  Pretty serious stuff.

Also a 340gr +P+ flat nose gas check.  Recoil may be a wee bit stiff though
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#22]
After reading about the guy from Tampa who took the African Big 6 using a 45-70 and Garrett ammunition, I would look into Garrett.  They seem know about dangerous game ammunition.
I do not have any affiliation with Garrett.

Bear Defense with a revolver link (Garrett)

Brandi should be by soon with some good information.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Soft points. Seriously. You'll get plenty of penetration and they are soft skinned animals.
View Quote

LOL.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  Underwood makes a 305gr flat nose gas check.  Pretty serious stuff.

Also a 340gr +P+ flat nose gas check.  Recoil may be a wee bit stiff though
View Quote

While she's a tough gal, a 340 grn +P+ might not be the best ammo for someone who's previously only shot .44" Special out of her revolver.  Some good news, the family friend has upgraded from his .357" to a .44" Magnum revolver as well, + there will be the .458" SOCOM AR handy.  So inshallah, the twin .44" Mags will be secondary.  Bear spray has been ordered, and an air horn will be on tap as well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LOL.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.  

Out of curiousity what ammunition have you used most successfully on bears?
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.  

you first

Nobody,... but you,... recommends soft-points for grizzly bears

I've done quite a bit of hunting with .44 magnum.  ( also 45SUPER, 45ACP, and .357mag )

. . . . . Enough to know that a handgun, even a hot loaded .44 magnum, is not what I'd want for Grizzly

...but if threatened, and all I had was a .44mag,  I'd prefer a big, heavy, flat-point or SWC hardcast with a max load of H-110 or Win-296 magnum powder.  ( like I pictured above )

Softpoint is great for big midwestern whitetail deer, but not for grizzly bears.

your turn

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I shot a black bear with a rifle that squared 7-10. Haven't shot one with a handgun. I use hard ast in the 10mm and expanding bullets in the 44. Why? I don't have to deal with coastal bears. A large interior grizzley is the size of the bear I shot, perhaps 400 pounds. You don't need a 340 grain hardcast to kill a 400 pound bear. My uncle has killed 30 or 40 bears and he just uses 240gr JSPs. He used a 310gr cast core once and it worked well.

Note that moose are very hard to kill and have both a much tougher hide and bigger bones than a bear. They can be aggressive too--they kill more people than bears in Alaska--and even when mortally wounded often show no sign of it. So no, a story about a moose doesn't make me want a bigger bear gun.

We could ask Phil Shoemaker though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i would recommend a 12 gauge with breneke black magic 3'' slugs for bears.

but for the 44, especially s&w i would stick with the cor bon hunters. good round, and wont damage your gun. i would stay away from soft points and hallow points, the hard cast type work good for punching holes in.....everything, if you want to run the real big loads, buy a ruger super redhawk or redhawk
View Quote

When I was in Alaska I had my 12ga loaded with those as did my friends who lived up there
I think that's what the state troopers are issued as well.

I also had my .44 loaded with buffalo bore
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#30]
At Cabela's, Ultramax 240 grn lead flat point or Magtech 240 grn semi-jacketed flat point?  They have the 305 Buffalo Bore, but since she can only practice w/ Specials, don't want to jump her to 300 grns.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Or Magtech FMJ flat 240 grn.  And what the heck is .44 Colt?

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#32]
from cabelas choices.....get the 305 Buffalo Bore

It's not realistic to ask her to practice with 44 special, ....and give her any true 44 magnum

a 240gr JHP with 24grs of Win-296, . . . . . .  or 19grs. with a 300gr,  . . . . is going to have substantially more recoil that a .44 special

bullet weight is a factor in recoil....but going from special to magnum is were the big change occurs
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#33]
If you're dead set on pass throughs, use 255gr hard cast for less recoil.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Ended up heading to the gun show, where I got sights and ammo for the .458" - 325 grn HFTX over 32 grn L'Gun @ 1815 fps, and 250 grn 18 Brinnel hardcast flatnose .44" mag.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not hunting - in case the air horn fails.

GF, w/ 3 kids, 2x grandparents, & family friend hiking 6 miles through national forest in Montana.  Family friend carrying .357" .44" Magnum revolver, no control over ammo in that gun.  Other two guns are an AR in .458" SOCOM, & a S&W .44" Magnum.  My LGS has Winchester white box 240 grn jacketed soft point, is that good to go, or do I need to look for heavier &/or solids?  Local range only permits practice w/ .44" Special.

ETA:  Family friend has upgraded to .44" Magnum.  So - two .44" Magnum revolvers, & one .458" SOCOM AR.
View Quote

Maybe you saw this in The American Handgunner Sept/Oct 2015  
Revolvers And Grizzly Bears
Hope this is helpful!

PITA45
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Turned out well.  No bears were seen hiking through the national forest w/ 8 people, but bears did wander past the cabin; the GF & a bear scared the mutual crap out of each other while she was drinking wine on the patio.  She ran inside & the bear ran the other way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top