Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2015 10:28:37 AM EDT
Just picked up a new s&w shield in 9mm. What seems to work the best for range and self defense. I need to start stock piling.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My Shield eats any ammo I feed it.  So far, I have had only two fail to feed with steel case Tulammo.  Everything else has been perfect. So here is my list of ammo that works really well for me:

FMJ:
Sellier & Bellot 115 gr. <-- favorite (has very similar feel to HST 124gr)
CCI Blazer Brass 115gr
Perfecta 115gr
Federal 115gr
Aguilla 124gr
Armscor 124gr (recent experience only 100 rounds fired, but I like that this also feels like HST)
Federal Flat-nose 147gr
Remington UMC 147gr

HP:
Federal HST 124gr <-- favorite
Federal HST 147gr <-- favorite
Winchester Ranger -T 147gr
Speer/CCI Gold Dot 124gr (quit carrying this in my Shield after seeing STB410's test)

I've shot other ammo (like Fiocchi, Winchester WWB, Speer Lawman, etc.), but not as much as the brands/type above.  Like I said, the Shield isn't really temperamental in my experience, so I don't think you have much to worry about
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the extensive list!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

snip....

Speer/CCI Gold Dot 124gr (quit carrying this in my Shield after seeing STB410's test)

View Quote

Link?  Details?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Link?  Details?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip....

Link?  Details?

The test showed a failure to expand because the velocities were too low from a 3" barrel.  Tests done by others using 4 inch and longer barrels show that this ammo is great.  I do use it in my full size S&W M&P 9 (4.25" barrel) and my 9mm SBR (4.5" barrel).  This is great ammo but not for the Shield.

You Tube 9mm Ammo Quest Speer GD 124 grain

Note that the +P version of the GD 124gr ammo did perform better than the standard pressure ammo from a 3" barrel.  I don't use +P ammo if I can avoid it to reduce wear and tear on the gun and also to avoid the additional recoil (I admit, I sometimes have trouble feeling a big difference between +P and standard pressure rounds).

You Tube 9mm Ammo Quest Speer GD 124 grain +P
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
For SD:  Any flavor HST or Gold Dot
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
i carry double tap +p 115 gr jhp, they are loaded with speed gold dot bullets, no issues, as for target ammo? what ever cheap? umc, american eagle, blazer brass, haven't had any issues with either
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Range = fed champion 115 gr redbox - $28 pr 100 at Wal-Mart

SD = federal hst 147 gr
         Speer gold dot 124 gr short barrel

Never had a ftf or fte in over 1000 rounds fired
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the replies. Thats a pretty good short list to get started.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Self Defense

Winchester Ranger-T 147 grain
Speer Gold Dot, 147 grain
Winchester Ranger-B 147 grain
Federal HST 147 grain.

The differences between these are marginal, and all meet the FBI test protocol.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The test showed a failure to expand because the velocities were too low from a 3" barrel.  Tests done by others using 4 inch and longer barrels show that this ammo is great.  I do use it in my full size S&W M&P 9 (4.25" barrel) and my 9mm SBR (4.5" barrel).  This is great ammo but not for the Shield.

Note that the +P version of the GD 124gr ammo did perform better than the standard pressure ammo from a 3" barrel.  I don't use +P ammo if I can avoid it to reduce wear and tear on the gun and also to avoid the additional recoil (I admit, I sometimes have trouble feeling a big difference between +P and standard pressure rounds).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip....

Link?  Details?

interesting thanks!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Winchester Defend 147gr. does good in the gel tests.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Shooting the Bull 410 did a video series: 9mm Ammo Quest, where he tested a bunch of different defensive ammo in a sub-compact handgun (3" barrel).  These tests applies to the S&W M&P Shield.  He went through a lot of work to make sure the tests complied to the FBI and IWBA testing standards.  I am grateful that he did all that because I don't have the resources to do that testing myself.  One of the interesting quantitative measures he posts on each test is the MacPherson Wound Trauma Incapacitation Factor or WTI.  I'm not sure that WTI has any correlation to real-world ammo effectiveness, but he has also posted a description of WTI and what it means.  Some of you may find it interesting.  It was for me: MacPherson Wound Trauma Incapacitation Factor

Here is the WTI for some of the ammo I have purchased and shot from my Shield.  They all shoot well with no malfunctions after at least firing 100 rounds of each (300 or more for the ones I carry): Bigger number the better:

Federal HST 124gr +P  -------- 41.74 WTI
Federal HST 124gr ------------- 41.38 WTI <--- I carry this in my Shield most of the time
Federal HST 147gr +P --------- 45.75 WTI
Federal HST 147gr ------------- 46.59 WTI <--- I carry this in my Shield when I can find some
Winchester Defend 147gr ---- 35.13 WTI
Winchester Ranger-T 147gr -- 40.63 WTI <--- I have about 500 rounds of this (I wouldn't have any issues carrying this ammo)

ETA: these numbers are applicable to the ballistics from a handgun with 3" barrels (like the Shield)
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Federal 9BP.    $17 / 50 rounds.    Works the same on the street as the dollar-a-shot hotdog stuff.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Winchester Defend 147gr. does good in the gel tests.
View Quote

This, IMHO, is the correct answer. Train and Defend is a brilliant concept. watch this

Shot placement trumps everything and anything...

Now you can truly train with what you fight with. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Shooting the Bull 410 did a video series: 9mm Ammo Quest, where he tested a bunch of different defensive ammo in a sub-compact handgun (3" barrel).  These tests applies to the S&W M&P Shield.  He went through a lot of work to make sure the tests complied to the FBI and IWBA testing standards.  I am grateful that he did all that because I don't have the resources to do that testing myself.  One of the interesting quantitative measures he posts on each test is the MacPherson Wound Trauma Incapacitation Factor or WTI.  I'm not sure that WTI has any correlation to real-world ammo effectiveness, but he has also posted a description of WTI and what it means.  Some of you may find it interesting.  It was for me: MacPherson Wound Trauma Incapacitation Factor

Here is the WTI for some of the ammo I have purchased and shot from my Shield.  They all shoot well with no malfunctions after at least firing 100 rounds of each (300 or more for the ones I carry): Bigger number the better:

Federal HST 124gr ------------- 41.38 WTI <--- I carry this in my Shield most of the time
Federal HST 147gr ------------- 46.59 WTI <--- I carry this in my Shield when I can find some
Winchester Ranger-T 147gr -- 40.63 WTI <--- I have about 500 rounds of this (I wouldn't have any issues carrying this ammo)

ETA: these numbers are applicable to the ballistics from a handgun with 3" barrels (like the Shield)
View Quote

It doesn't.  WTI is a statistic without any relation to the real world.    Service caliber handgun bullets all work the same on the street.   They incapacitate by poking holes.   Handgun bullets seldom expand and when they do you see irregular expansion and lots of jacket shedding.   Handgun bullets almost always penetrate the body completely, no matter what kind of bullet or who made it.  

Carry a .38 Spl or 9mm and you're as well-armed as anybody.     Load it up with anything, even FMJ works about as well, or as poorly, as any of the big-dollar ultra-hyped wonder-bullets.  

Shot placement is everything.   Gel testing is misleading.  Statistics are irrelevant.     Handgun bullet design and caliber are almost nothing.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It doesn't.  WTI is a statistic without any relation to the real world.    Service caliber handgun bullets all work the same on the street.   They incapacitate by poking holes.   Handgun bullets seldom expand and when they do you see irregular expansion and lots of jacket shedding.   Handgun bullets almost always penetrate the body completely, no matter what kind of bullet or who made it.  

Carry a .38 Spl or 9mm and you're as well-armed as anybody.     Load it up with anything, even FMJ works about as well, or as poorly, as any of the big-dollar ultra-hyped wonder-bullets.  

Shot placement is everything.   Gel testing is misleading.  Statistics are irrelevant.     Handgun bullet design and caliber are almost nothing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I get lost and wander into GD or something?  Almost nothing you posted is true. Shot placement is a given, but it's not the only thing.  If it were, nobody would bother carrying anything more than a .22, yet you recommend a .38 or 9mm.  The problem with  the shot placement argument is that it relies on the single most falliable variable in the scenario, the shooter.

To the OP's question, anything from the HST, Gold Dot, or Ranger line in 124gr and up will serve you well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#17]
My Shield eats all practice ammo.

It also eats my carry ammo(147Gr HST).

Just rotated my carry ammo out on the 3rd by putting it down range.  Loaded up with fresh HST.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Did I get lost and wander into GD or something?  Almost nothing you posted is true. Shot placement is a given, but it's not the only thing.  If it were, nobody would bother carrying anything more than a .22, yet you recommend a .38 or 9mm.  The problem with  the shot placement argument is that it relies on the single most falliable variable in the scenario, the shooter.

To the OP's question, anything from the HST, Gold Dot, or Ranger line in 124gr and up will serve you well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually a .22 or .25 would be the best possible self-defense handgun.   High capacity, almost zero recoil, super-fast follow up shots.  the trouble with those small rounds is lack of penetration.   If the little bullet runs out of steam or is deflected by a bone before it gets to the vitals, it's not going to get the job done.  

So you carry something that will penetrate yet is still controllable, and it so happens that for most people, that's a .38 or a 9mm.  

Everything I posted turns out to be correct, if you study the problem from the standpoint of anatomy.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Actually a .22 or .25 would be the best possible self-defense handgun.   High capacity, almost zero recoil, super-fast follow up shots.  the trouble with those small rounds is lack of penetration.   If the little bullet runs out of steam or is deflected by a bone before it gets to the vitals, it's not going to get the job done.  

So you carry something that will penetrate yet is still controllable, and it so happens that for most people, that's a .38 or a 9mm.  

Everything I posted turns out to be correct, if you study the problem from the standpoint of anatomy.  Shot placement does indeed rely on the fallible element, i.e. the shooter;   but shot placement is almost everything.  What shooters worry about, viz., caliber, bullet weight, velocity, bullet design, energy transfer, "stopping power," is without foundation in real shootings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything I posted turns out to be correct, if you study the problem from the standpoint of anatomy.  Shot placement does indeed rely on the fallible element, i.e. the shooter;   but shot placement is almost everything.  What shooters worry about, viz., caliber, bullet weight, velocity, bullet design, energy transfer, "stopping power," is without foundation in real shootings.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#20]
sorry;  duplicates
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm pretty happy with Federal HST 147 for my 9's and Federal HST 180s for my .40s.

They have a good record of effective us and their "stats" seem to consistantly show good penetration and expansion

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Suggest Speer Gold Dot 124gr either the +P or non +P version

Also the Hornady Flex Tip 135gr Critical Duty...........most excellent!
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I really like the short barrel ammo quest videos on youtube.  I know all of his work doesn't mean anything in the real world, shit can happen differently but at least you can see how bullets perform and get an idea.

That being said.  I plan on carrying Federal HST or Winchester Defend.  If I can ever find some.  For now it will be hydrashoks because I haven't found any other decent ammo in stock.

My shield eats anything I have fed it.  Only thing I have noticed is with cheap little 115 grain plinker rounds sometimes the slide doesn't lock back on the last shot.  Could be me, could be the ammo, could be the gun but that is all I have had trouble with.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:36:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Range - Wolf 115gr "military classic"

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AW9FMJ115&name=WPA+(WOLF)+9mm+115grn+FMJ+50rd+Box&groupid=46

Carry - 147gr Gold-Dot or Federal HST
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:52:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I use Federal white box 115gr for target practice mostly, or reloads.

For SD I carry Federal HST 124gr +P in my Shield, and 147gr in all my other pistols. I also use Winchester Ranger Talons, but believe the HST has proven to be slightly more reliable at expansion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top