Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2015 11:44:24 AM EDT
I'm selling one place and buying another.  I want to show my current house as my new one is being renovated.  I have gun safes but I've been storing my ammo in a spare bedroom closet.  

I don't want it out, in view, as strangers walk through the place so was thinking of putting in my un-heated/air conditioned garage [in plain boxes].  

I live in St Louis so it'll be hot and humid and the ammo may be stored that way for a few months.  

Will storing it like that harm the ammo?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#1]
This may seem extreme but if I were selling my house I would move my firearms, ammo and safes to a relatives house until I moved. I'm sure burglars preferred method of scoping is a house showing or open house. The only firearms in my home would be my edc and maybe a stashed rifle for HD.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This may seem extreme but if I were selling my house I would move my firearms, ammo and safes to a relatives house until I moved. I'm sure burglars preferred method of scoping is a house showing or open house. The only firearms in my home would be my edc and maybe a stashed rifle for HD.
View Quote

This, but maybe install a keyed deadbolt on the closet.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 6:22:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I sure would like to know if it is ok to store ammo in hot humid StL weather, for a few months.

I appreciate your advice but I live on the second story of a condo complex which is very secure.  The ppl looking at my condo will be more wealthy than average, pre-approved for loans and more than likely be appalled that I own firearms than wanting to steal them.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The ammo might become tarnished but I don't believe it will become damaged to the point that it's performance is diminished.

The military stores ammunition in jungle environments with no A.C.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Storing in the garage is no big deal and will not impact the ammo in any way.  I'm in a hot humid environment and have never had any issues at all.

The comment about clearing it out of the house is a good one though.  Not just from a security aspect, but also from the sales aspect of the place not appearing cluttered.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, good to know.  I'm moving the ammo to unmarked boxes in the garage then.  

The way the safes are situated, they'd have to move clothing to see them in the back of the closets in which they are situated.  The cost of moving them twice in a few months  isn't reasonable.  Moving them to my new place while I have a bunch of tradesmen in and out over the next 2-3 months [painters, flooring guys, electricians, plumbers, carpenters] would be far more exposing.  

I get them being out of where they are is ideal, just not practical.  

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#7]
You're over-worrying this on several levels.  First off, the ammo will be just fine for 10 years in your garage.  Very few military depots are climate controlled in temperate zones.  As to theft exposure - I think you are overreacting.  But that said, it's a good idea to move out the ammo anyway.  You want to make your home as "blank" as possible during the showing, so don't want the soccer mom's distracted by an arms depot in the house.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Twice, I have rented a room in a climate controlled storage facility.  Moved all my guns and ammo there while we had the house for sale.  It was a pain in the ass, and I worried myself sick over it.  But it worked, guns and ammo were secure, nothing in the house for potential thieves to steal or potential liberal buyers to flip out over.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#10]
When my house was on the market I stored all my ammo in my garage in boxes and it was fine.
It was a hot and humid summer (Iowa)

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#11]
When I moved from VA to CO I kept my ammo in a storage unit loose in 5 gallon buckets, no ill effects.  Firearms were kept at my local FFL for a small storage fee.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in the metro east. I stored ammo in my garden shed for years. I did have some 12ga that the brass got real corroded but it had been out there about 15 years. Most of it got fired off at Eckerts Orchard Haunted Halloween hay rides.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm selling one place and buying another.  I want to show my current house as my new one is being renovated.  I have gun safes but I've been storing my ammo in a spare bedroom closet.  

I don't want it out, in view, as strangers walk through the place so was thinking of putting in my un-heated/air conditioned garage [in plain boxes].  

I live in St Louis so it'll be hot and humid and the ammo may be stored that way for a few months.  

Will storing it like that harm the ammo?

Thanks
View Quote

Job box in said garage?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I had ammo stored in my basement when I first moved in and it was 70 degrees and about 70% humidity in my basement before getting a dehumidifier.    The humidity made all the ammo boxes start to sag.  The ammo was unharmed, but humidity is a real bitch on ammo boxes.

If you plan on storing your ammo in the garage, be prepared for any cardboard boxes to be misshapen when you get them if the humidity is too high.  

If you use ammo cans with desiccant, you would fare a lot better.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#15]
When they ship it and store it, I'm sure its not under climate control.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top