Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2015 2:54:22 PM EDT
I bought a bunch of boxes of 40 S&W Federal HST Law Enforcement to carry in my Glock 22.

I just saw a sale on Federal HST 40 S&W but I noticed it is called "Personal Defense"

What is the difference between the two?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably 20 round boxes for the same price as 50 round LE boxes.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny, I just realized that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Frequently the commercial version is in 20 round (or 25 round) boxes. This makes the retail price less (of a sticker shock when you see the price sticker)

...and LE version is in 50 round boxes (for convenience). They are NOT sold for the same price.  The LE often get better than retail price per round in the 50 round boxes... but

I have purchased 100s of thousands of rounds for the agency I retired from... and I never saw a case where the 20 or 25 round retail box was the same price I paid for a 50 round box because it was sold to a LE agency.

ETA: I purchased directly from the manufacturers, not through a jober or a Police supply retailer.

Unless there have been a considerable change in LE pricing since I retired.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Frequently the commercial version is in 20 round (or 25 round) boxes. This makes the retail price less (of a sticker shock when you see the price sticker)

...and LE version is in 50 round boxes (for convenience). They are NOT sold for the same price.  The LE often get better than retail price per round in the 50 round boxes... but

I have purchased 100s of thousands of rounds for the agency I retired from... and I never saw a case where the 20 or 25 round retail box was the same price I paid for a 50 round box because it was sold to a LE agency.

ETA: I purchased directly from the manufacturers, not through a jober or a Police supply retailer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
So ballistically speaking they are the same bullet?

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm referring to civilians buying LE versus Personal Protection.

I love the stuff, by the way.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I can't say for sure, but I would assume so. I just buy the 50 round boxes, though, for the same price.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Same ammo Gold Dot and Ranger Bonded are other examples of Commercial and Government packaging. I do not bother stocking any of the little boxes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Are the velocities the same ?

Different velocities can make quite a difference in bullet performance... a good example is the 165gr GD .40... Speer has 2 loads, one at 1050 fps, and one at 1150 fps.

There is a measurable difference in  performance.

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/downloads/technical_bulletins/PenetrationComparison53949vs53970.pdf
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#9]
In most cases LE vs. personal defense is the same ammunition you just pay twice as much per round when you buy a 20 round box.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's basically this.

In my neck of the woods, buying the "Personal Protection" box from a retailer means 20 rounds in a clear plastic box. I prefer to buy the "LE" kind in the less showy 50 round cardboard box. AFAIK, it's the same product, just packaged and sold differently. I think there are some different requirements for a retailer to be able to sell them. Not 100% sure on that though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a LE ammo retailer for Winchester, ATK, Remington, and Hornady. Basically if it comes in a 50 round box the retailer has signed a agreement to follow the mfg sales restriction. I have been caught selling to non LE and restricted more than once. Now I have to walk the ammo around the park some times to get it for regular consumer sales. It can be time consuming and runs the price up but at least I can get extra ammo to sell.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Friday, I just bought a couple 50 round boxes of gold dots in l/e packaging for $6 cheaper per box ($17.95 fwiw) than the 20 round commercial equivalent sitting directly beside them on the shelf at my LGS.  Wish I could find heavy HSTs around here, they're perpetually OOS, it seems.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd like some non +P HSTs in any weight, but they just are not out there.

Fortunately the bonded 147 Golden Sabers are readily available (thanks hotpig), and while they are not at the top of the tests, they are accurate, and work in every pistol I have.
I wish one of the credible testers would try some of the bonded GS to see if they have cured the jacket loss issues of the original GS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top