Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2015 5:08:48 PM EDT
I ordered three cases of 9mm FMJ ammo from Lucky Gunner about two weeks ago. When it arrived last week, the boxes had a strong mildew odor -- so strong that I can't store it in my house (climate controlled) like I normally would. It'll have to stay in my garage until I shoot it.

I sent an email to LG asking about this -- their response was that their warehouse people haven't noticed any issues, but they don't know about any mildew odor since they haven't opened any cases to check for odors.

I've shot at least 20 cases of Magtech in the last 4 years, so I don't think they're at fault. It had to get wet/smelly while in transit from the factory to LG, or while it was stored in LG's warehouse.

Needless to say I won't be ordering again from LG unless they come up with some explanation.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello, Anthony here from over at Lucky Gunner.

I'm sorry to hear about that odor - we're trying to track down the cause of it. We have our warehouse team pulling cases, doing a visual inspection as well as smell tests on our Magtech ammo. So far, they haven't noticed anything unusual and there are no signs of water damage or moisture.

We also contacted the folks at Magtech. They said this is the first they've heard about the mildew odor.

We'd be happy to take back whatever you haven't used and get some fresh rounds to you this week if you like. We'll cover all the costs involved.

Thank you and sorry for the hassle. Please feel free to contact us with an email ([email protected]) or phone call (800-317-9506) if you'd like to exchange the rounds. I've made our entire customer service team aware of the issue so it should be as painless as possible to get new rounds headed your way. We'll then be able to check out the mildew odor ourselves, which might help lead us down the path to figuring out what happened.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hello, Anthony here from over at Lucky Gunner.

I'm sorry to hear about that odor - we're trying to track down the cause of it. We have our warehouse team pulling cases, doing a visual inspection as well as smell tests on our Magtech ammo. So far, they haven't noticed anything unusual and there are no signs of water damage or moisture.

We also contacted the folks at Magtech. They said this is the first they've heard about the mildew odor.

We'd be happy to take back whatever you haven't used and get some fresh rounds to you this week if you like. We'll cover all the costs involved.

Thank you and sorry for the hassle. Please feel free to contact us with an email ([email protected]) or phone call (800-317-9506) if you'd like to exchange the rounds. I've made our entire customer service team aware of the issue so it should be as painless as possible to get new rounds headed your way. We'll then be able to check out the mildew odor ourselves, which might help lead us down the path to figuring out what happened.
View Quote

Anthony:

Thanks for reaching out.

I've already shot most of one case, and it won't take long for me to shoot the rest of it -- so it's really not worth having you go to the expense of swapping out such a small of a quantity of ammo.

I do hope you can isolate the source of the odor. FWIW, this is the first batch of Magtech I've received that is packaged in the new, smaller, blue & white boxes (as opposed to the "old" blue & gold boxes).

Thanks again for offering to replace the ammo. That's the level of customer service y'all are known for.

Theyo should still have my email address (we have swapped emails several times in the last week), so I'd like to hear from y'all when you have found the cause of this. That way I'll know when it's "safe" to order more ammo.

NRA-Certified Personal Protection Instructor
Affiliate Instructor – Armed Citizens’ Legal Defense Network

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you Ernie,

I'll have Theyo touch base after our guys at the warehouse have finished digging into our Magtech inventory. If you change your mind and would like to swap those other two cases out, please don't be shy.

Thanks again,

-Anthony
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Glad they were willing to send ya new ammo, very nice to see good customer service like that..
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
That is service!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#6]
apologies for the thread hijack, but does anyone have a link to a gel test for the Magtech 124 grain bonded 9mm load? will start a new thread my apologies
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I once opened a sealed tin of Albanian 7.62x54R that literally smelled like somebody took a shit in the can before they sealed it up. I mean it smelled like human waste. I let it air out for a few weeks but it didn't help. I finally unwrapped all the paper bundles (threw all the cardboard, string and paper away) and wiped the brass down with acetone and repacked it into a .50cal can. Even then, after more than a few days of storage there was a faint smell of shit everytime I opened the can. I was happy when I shot the last of that tin up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:31:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I once opened a sealed tin of Albanian 7.62x54R that literally smelled like somebody took a shit in the can before they sealed it up. I mean it smelled like human waste. I let it air out for a few weeks but it didn't help. I finally unwrapped all the paper bundles (threw all the cardboard, string and paper away) and wiped the brass down with acetone and repacked it into a .50cal can. Even then, after more than a few days of storage there was a faint smell of shit everytime I opened the can. I was happy when I shot the last of that tin up.
View Quote

Have you been saving the brass?  I have reloaded those Albanian cases, the ones that are not cracked.  And the stuff did stink like azz.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:45:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Funny how you only got a real response when posting here, and Jack shit when you emailed them directly.

Txl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top