User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If actual documentation of facts is my non scientific study is not up to par, so be it. The BPLE round has been around way longer than the HST, gold dot, and other "modern" rounds. It was racking up results before the others came to fruition. It would probably shock you that there are still many departments that carry a simple JHP round. It would also shock you that the USBP was carrying a simple JHP load in both the 155 grain weight by both Remington and Federal. Both of which were performing extremely well. Just a few years ago did they switch to the HST round.

Jello does not accurately show what a round will do in real life situations. It great for making pretty expanded bullets, but bones and internal muscles/ organs tend to throw a monkey in the wrench.

No one fires a bb into a perp before they fire a round to see that the perp is calibrated.

Shooters are trained to shoot center mass, no matter what round they carry. If the "modern" rounds were so good, there would be no worry where hits would be.

I don't doubt the effectiveness of the HST or other modern rounds, but credit is needed where credit is due. The 115 +P+ round carried the torch for a while before modern technology came around. It earned its dues on the street like the rounds you all defend are doing right now.

9MM has become the round everyone has bickered over more and more.

I admit I like the lighter rounds like 115 and 124. Light and fast is what I have trusted. I still have a disdain for 147' but seeing more after action reports is building my confidence in that weight.

View Quote

What are you saying, exactly?  That you use obsolete hollow points because their technological successors don't incapacitate when non-vital areas are hit?  You say you don't doubt that modern HP designs are effective, so why do you choose not to use them?  

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Liberty Defense?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The way it has all this time. So many variables. Also, modern rounds are just as prone to expansion failure. I have see three shooting reports where Gold Dot failed to expand. 2 .40 and a 9mm.
If they were so consistent they would have expanded every time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jello does not accurately show what a round will do in real life situations. It great for making pretty expanded bullets, but bones and internal muscles/ organs tend to throw a monkey in the wrench.

If 9BPLE performs poorly in gel, how will it perform against bone, etc.? The bottom line is that 9BPLE is inconsistent, but effective. Modern rounds are consistent and effective. There's no reason to use 9BPLE, if you have a choice.

The way it has all this time. So many variables. Also, modern rounds are just as prone to expansion failure. I have see three shooting reports where Gold Dot failed to expand. 2 .40 and a 9mm.

So, why develop a new round?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What are you saying, exactly?  That you use obsolete hollow points because their technological successors don't incapacitate when non-vital areas are hit?  You say you don't doubt that modern HP designs are effective, so why do you choose not to use them?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If actual documentation of facts is my non scientific study is not up to par, so be it. The BPLE round has been around way longer than the HST, gold dot, and other "modern" rounds. It was racking up results before the others came to fruition. It would probably shock you that there are still many departments that carry a simple JHP round. It would also shock you that the USBP was carrying a simple JHP load in both the 155 grain weight by both Remington and Federal. Both of which were performing extremely well. Just a few years ago did they switch to the HST round.
No one fires a bb into a perp before they fire a round to see that the perp is calibrated.

Shooters are trained to shoot center mass, no matter what round they carry. If the "modern" rounds were so good, there would be no worry where hits would be.
I don't doubt the effectiveness of the HST or other modern rounds, but credit is needed where credit is due. The 115 +P+ round carried the torch for a while before modern technology came around. It earned its dues on the street like the rounds you all defend are doing right now.

9MM has become the round everyone has bickered over more and more.
I admit I like the lighter rounds like 115 and 124. Light and fast is what I have trusted. I still have a disdain for 147' but seeing more after action reports is building my confidence in that weight.

No, all I'm saying is that there are guys who literally say 115 +p+ rounds are ineffective and say they are obsolete. Obsolete in what way? They work today as they did 30-40 years ago. The same way the modern loads do.  They end the problem.
They are all prone to failure the same. When someone says the round is ineffective just because it is a 40 year old design, I often ask if they are willing to take a hit from one in a shooting scenario if the bad guy is so armed. The first reaction I get is pretty much a " fuck no". If the round is so obsolete and ineffective, why is it still feared? If you're afraid enough to get hit by one  then the other guy is in the same boat.

In other words, I have no problem carrying any of the loads listed because I am more than confident in them due to seeing actual results, not from clinical tests. I will put them where they need to go.
Right now, the biggest tragedy for me is I am forced to carry 147 Ranger T. At first, I was not comfortable, but as I researched actual use, I found out its a pretty good round. I had seen bad results from the original 147 loads years ago and the weight left a bad taste in my mouth, so I wasn't too happy. I still would not want to be hit by one of the old 147 rounds no matter what, but if I had to carry it, I would learn all I could.
Myself and another officer actually created as close to a human torso as we could with fresh meat ribs, whoopee cusions for lungs and a cow heart. We used gel for the rest. A trash can was used as a mold. We learned a little how the rounds would react. The only factor that could not be measured was the actual pain response and real persons reaction to the hit. We realized it was done in fun and did at least get to see the results.
Eerily, they matched some of the actual photos of expanded rounds and tissue damage we had seen.
We blew close to 100 bucks in edible meat. :(
We learned though that no bullet was consistent, even three rounds from the same box performed differently.
I have the notes of that in my shelves somewhere.
I will tell you though that one of the most destructive rounds was the Speer gold dot 115 +p+. Looked like a grenade went off inside. Would that round have done a one shot stop? I honestly can't tell you 100% every time.
Some rounds that failed miserably were rem 147 golden Sabre and Winchester 147 white box JHP.
The Remington value pack 115 JHP performed very well.
Again it was more of a fun project than anything else.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If 9BPLE performs poorly in gel, how will it perform against bone, etc.? The bottom line is that 9BPLE is inconsistent, but effective. Modern rounds are consistent and effective. There's no reason to use 9BPLE, if you have a choice.

$$$$$$$$$$ and bragging rights.
It's what drives all these companies to come out with the exotic rounds.
The black Talon was a promising round, but after it was discontinued, there was a pause on the 147 weight development for a few years. 115 and 124 became the rage. 147 benefited from the technology used for the lighter bullets and that is what has made them effective.
They suffered due to low velocity, period.  
Velocity is needed for expansion.

Either way, use what you have. Have your skills sharpened and expect a handgun round to perform or fail as it is known that a handgun is not a 100% effective bolt of lightning.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is not necessarily true. Improvements in jacket design have mitigated the need for increased velocity. Hence the reason SD loads are working better in shorter barrels.

Also, velocity of the Black Talon and the Ranger T are very close.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That is not necessarily true. Improvements in jacket design have mitigated the need for increased velocity. Hence the reason SD loads are working better in shorter barrels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So that's why Speer came out with a +p short barreled load? Guess they felt velocity was needed for the short barrel loads for expansion then?
Black Talon was running below advertised speeds on the crony back then. Very inconsistent.
Today's loads are way more consistent velocity wise.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No, all I'm saying is that there are guys who literally say 115 +p+ rounds are ineffective and say they are obsolete. Obsolete in what way? They work today as they did 30-40 years ago. The same way the modern loads do.  They end the problem.

They are all prone to failure the same. When someone says the round is ineffective just because it is a 40 year old design, I often ask if they are willing to take a hit from one in a shooting scenario if the bad guy is so armed. The first reaction I get is pretty much a " fuck no". If the round is so obsolete and ineffective, why is it still feared? If you're afraid enough to get hit by one  then the other guy is in the same boat.

In other words, I have no problem carrying any of the loads listed because I am more than confident in them due to seeing actual results, not from clinical tests. I will put them where they need to go.

Right now, the biggest tragedy for me is I am forced to carry 147 Ranger T. At first, I was not comfortable, but as I researched actual use, I found out its a pretty good round. I had seen bad results from the original 147 loads years ago and the weight left a bad taste in my mouth, so I wasn't too happy. I still would not want to be hit by one of the old 147 rounds no matter what, but if I had to carry it, I would learn all I could.

Myself and another officer actually created as close to a human torso as we could with fresh meat ribs, whoopee cusions for lungs and a cow heart. We used gel for the rest. A trash can was used as a mold. We learned a little how the rounds would react. The only factor that could not be measured was the actual pain response and real persons reaction to the hit. We realized it was done in fun and did at least get to see the results.

Eerily, they matched some of the actual photos of expanded rounds and tissue damage we had seen.

We blew close to 100 bucks in edible meat. :(

We learned though that no bullet was consistent, even three rounds from the same box performed differently.

I have the notes of that in my shelves somewhere.

I will tell you though that one of the most destructive rounds was the Speer gold dot 115 +p+. Looked like a grenade went off inside. Would that round have done a one shot stop? I honestly can't tell you 100% every time.

Some rounds that failed miserably were rem 147 golden Sabre and Winchester 147 white box JHP.

The Remington value pack 115 JHP performed very well.

Again it was more of a fun project than anything else.
View Quote

The 115 grain +P+ load is obsolete in that it is no longer preferred and has been replaced.  The same can be said about FMJs, LRNs, LFNs, round balls, wadcutters, etc.  Just because they are no longer cutting edge technology doesn't mean they are ineffective.  The "I wouldn't want to be shot with it" argument is meaningless because fear does not physiologically incapacitate.  

Ranger T is the direct descendant of Black Talon/SXT.  The meplat geometry was changed a small amount, but it is essentially the same bullet.  The best performing 9mm bullets today are 147 grains, and they are good, consistent performers, especially through barriers.  There is never going to be a bullet, rifle or pistol, that guarantees a one shot stop in a timely fashion, but there is no reason not to use all the tools available to you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So that's why Speer came out with a +p short barreled load? Guess they felt velocity was needed for the short barrel loads for expansion then?

Black Talon was running below advertised speeds on the crony back then. Very inconsistent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is needed because of the design parameters of the bullet.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The testing I have seen for Black Talon shows velocity in line with Ranger T. The issue with Black Talon and other rounds of the time was jacket design.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pentration standards exist because you never know what will be between your pistol and the vitals. You may have to shoot through the arms to reach the vitals. or barriers like glass, steel, wallboard, ect.

The "modern" rounds are designed to reliably expand AND pentrate inspite of such barriers.  Not to improve the performance of a peripheral hit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The testing I have seen for Black Talon shows velocity in line with Ranger T. The issue with Black Talon and other rounds of the time was jacket design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Testing you have seen.. Is that on the internet , in person or on paper. We ran them thru a chronograph and they were all running in the 870-890's range. That was from a distance of  3 feet to the chronograph. We saw it and didn't even proceed to try and adopt it. We also ran the .45 thru and it was doing what it should have. Maybe we got a bad batch, but when we spoke to the Winchester rep, he said it was probably a fluke.
No attempt was made to even try and research the round by the rep. Our confidence in Winchester was done.
We also ran federal 124 and 147 Hydra-Shoks and  115 +p Corbons. They were also doing advertised velocity. Our captain was adamant that we carry 147 , but the regular "Subsonic" rounds were causing stoppages in otherwise reliable pistols. This was Beretta, Glock, SiG, metal framed SW, and Ruger P-89's
The problems went away when using Federal loads in 115 and 124 weight.
He didn't care as he had bought a few thousand rounds of the 147 subsonic  at a good price. To us it meant that no one wanted them and the company. dumped them on us. His 92FS ran it ok, but some others didn't. We later found out he was giving 115 grain silver tips to his favorites.
He got pissed and told us to buy our own. Myself and a group got together and purchased Federal 124 grain Hydra-Shoks.
They served us well and confidence was high in that round.
Then BP gave us some BPLE since we would assist them and back them up. We loved that round and it was extremely accurate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was meant sarcastically since it was said jacket design has mitigated the need for velocity , where I said you need velocity for consistent expansion. He said the loads are working better out of short barrels, yet they made a specific load for short barrels increasing velocity to ensure expansion.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pentration standards exist because you never know what will be between your pistol and the vitals. You may have to shoot through the arms to reach the vitals. or barriers like glass, steel, wallboard, ect.

The "modern" rounds are designed to reliably expand AND pentrate inspite of such barriers.  Not to improve the performance of a peripheral hit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True,I agree that is why modern loads exist, but I will go on what I have seen personally and seen in actual street cases.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Testing you have seen.. Is that on the internet , in person or on paper. We ran them thru a chronograph and they were all running in the 870-890's range. That was from a distance of  3 feet to the chronograph. We saw it and didn't even proceed to try and adopt it. We also ran the .45 thru and it was doing what it should have. Maybe we got a bad batch, but when we spoke to the Winchester rep, he said it was probably a fluke.
No attempt was made to even try and research the round by the rep. Our confidence in Winchester was done.
We also ran federal 124 and 147 Hydra-Shoks and  115 +p Corbons. They were also doing advertised velocity. Our captain was adamant that we carry 147 , but the regular "Subsonic" rounds were causing stoppages in otherwise reliable pistols. This was Beretta, Glock, SiG, metal framed SW, and Ruger P-89's
He didn't care as he had bought a few thousand rounds of the 147 subsonic  at a good price. To us it meant that no one wanted them and the company. dumped them on us. His 92FS ran it ok, but some others didn't. We later found out he was giving 115 grain silver tips to his favorites.
He got pissed and told us to buy our own. Myself and a group got together and purchased Federal 124 grain Hydra-Shoks.
Then BP gave us some BPLE since we would assist them and back them up. We loved that round and it was extremely accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like anecdote and drama.

How about 971 fps?

Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How about 971 fps?

Interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about 971 fps?

Interesting.

Just because their velocity exceeded doesn't mean ours was flawed. There were millions of rounds produced. Different lots. You are pulling other peoples testing. That's fine, but our own testing on the range was different. These velocities were obtained from  5 different guns and all were producing the same.
A Beretta 92FS, a Glock 17, SW 5906, and a Sig 226. Five rounds from each string.  The 5th gun was a SW 6906. This was 20 years ago.
I will look for my briefcase which I know has the notes from the testing we did. We were very disappointed in the velocity numbers and we also did fire some in a 55 gallon drum of water. We saw the expansion which was not totally bad for a few rounds, but some did not achieve full expansion.
When we ran the other loads including the +p+, we saw expansion and fragmentation. Being in the new age of bullet testing, we went with what we felt was the better rounds. We felt that expansion and fragmentation were going to cause more tissue damage than a un expanded round. As one guy who was in desert storm put it, " I want the thing to act like a grenade and fragment."
The +P Corbons round failed to expand in the water twice. It self destructed into pieces. We went with what we saw and learned. I realize that the time has brought advances, but I still would not feel under armed with a simple JHP.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Dupe post
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Fragmentation does nothing to incapacitate and only serves to reduce retained weight. It's one reason the 9BPLE isn't a great round.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fragmentation does nothing to incapacitate and only serves to reduce retained weight. It's one reason the 9BPLE isn't a great round.
View Quote

By your own opinion.. I know the effectiveness thanks to the OIS statistics from the agencies that utilized this round. You cannot provide anything other than youtube videos and bersa chat forum. Apparently you have not done any experiments of your own either, if not you might have mentioned it by now.
Either way, I have read and seen what works on actual records, not on the internet. If that was the case I would being bowing at the altar of the jello junkies.
Carry what you want, but don't expect the round to be a magic bullet.
Like you asked me to show data , show me something other than you find on the internet that shows BPLE isn't a great round like you say.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

By your own opinion.. I know the effectiveness thanks to the OIS statistics from the agencies that utilized this round. You cannot provide anything other than youtube videos and bersa chat forum. Apparently you have not done any experiments of your own either, if not you might have mentioned it by now.
Either way, I have read and seen what works on actual records, not on the internet. If that was the case I would being bowing at the altar of the jello junkies.
Like you asked me to show data , show me something other than you find on the internet that shows BPLE isn't a great round like you say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've shown data. You've shown nothing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said BPLE data, not Black Talon data.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will find my data on all the rounds I tested over the years. I don't need to post it on the internet for it to be taken as gospel. I know what I have done and what experiments we have done.
Now the testing we did with .38 special  was just as good. We really learned a lot. .38special was actually the second most carried round in our department as almost half carried revolvers in 1993 when I started.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#23]
This sums up 9BPLE nicely. Again, from DocGKR. A guy who's tested a lot more ammo than you or I.

I carried and was issued 9BP and 9BPLE back in the mid to late 1980's--it was better than some of the other options available back then, as it was accurate, reliable, and penetrated better than loads like the Silvertip, Glasser, and other such nonsense. With the advent of Dr. Fackler's work, the wound ballistic workshops at Quantico and founding of the FBI BRF, as well as the work of the IWBA, improved loads were developed that offered better penetration, improved intermediate barrier performance, and enhanced terminal performance consistency.

As I have stated before, bullet designs like the 9BP/BPLE, Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 15 or 20 years ago. These older bullets tend to plug up and act like FMJ projectiles when shot through heavy clothing; they also often have significant degradation in terminal performance after first passing through intermediate barriers. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons, Ranger Bonded, and Ranger Partition are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's.

It is time to move on...
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Speer's short barrel loads are the same pressure as their standard barrel loads.  The HP is deeper and more squared off which makes it open at lower velocities.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:04:36 AM EDT
[#25]
If anybody has any of this so called "obsolete" ammunition laying around, I will gladly take it off your hands and use it as carry ammo. And i will sleep well at night.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#26]
deleted
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#27]
My favorite is the Blackhills 124gr. +P XTP @ 1200fps. The Winchester 127gr. +P+ Ranger T and Speers 124gr. +P GDHP are also at the top of my list. I carry the Blackhills XTP's because I find them to be the most accurate round with my 9mm Glocks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#28]
This will go on forever.

Anything you pick may fail.

Probably not much difference between the top loads.

I was required to use a 9mm.   I use the CorBon 115 gr.   Goes 1260 fps from a G26.   I have killed varmints with this bullet and know the wound it makes.  

The HST looks good to me.   Might try some.

If you are really  worried, switch to a 4 inch 357 Magnum and 125 gr HP ammo.

Not really sure you can trust the jell-o tests but people sure seem to put a lot of faith in them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This will go on forever.

Anything you pick may fail.

Probably not much difference between the top loads.

I was required to use a 9mm.   I use the CorBon 115 gr.   Goes 1260 fps from a G26.   I have killed varmints with this bullet and know the wound it makes.  

The HST looks good to me.   Might try some.

If you are really  worried, switch to a 4 inch 357 Magnum and 125 gr HP ammo.

Not really sure you can trust the jell-o tests but people sure seem to put a lot of faith in them.
View Quote

I think the gelatin testing is useful in generating relatively comparable data on the terminal characteristics of a particular bullet/load and allowing for comparison with other bullets/loadings. It is not infallable nor is it 100% consistent, just the closest we have since we can't shoot actual people. It still is only good enough for a rough idea of how the bullet may perform some of the time and gauge consistence. All bullets, even the best, do strange things sometimes. There are simply too many factors that come in to play.

As long as people realize that no bullet is perfect or 100% reliable and that pistols in general are poor "stoppers" regardless of caliber. It always makes me when I hear about "energy dump" or "shock transfer" in regards to pistol cartridges.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Good luck finding any 147gr HST's...
View Quote

There's plenty out there -- ammoseek.com
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck finding any 147gr HST's...

its all currently +P though

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Like everyone else said.

I'm not one to jump on bandwagons but HST is an awesome round. The Critical Defense does expand like crazy but from test Ive seen it under penetrates.
I know many guys knock the Hornady Critical Duty but I think they are great if you want something that will penetrate more than HST,Ranger,Gold dot  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top