Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2015 4:22:06 PM EDT
I've ran a few boxes of the Federal aluminum cased 9mm through my PPS43c without issue. The cases show no sign of swelling or stress. The brass cased NATO spec ammo is the only cases that showed signs of slight swelling at the base, like the glock "smile". But now I'm reading all these post about not using aluminum cased in blow back weapons as it can blow them up. Can anyone confirm ? Has anyone ran a lot of it through a uzi, AR 9mm or other ? -Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure why Al cased ammo would blow up Al is not exactly a weak metal (it is not steel).  I have been running it for awhile in my Glocks and other 9mm pistol (not direct blow back) only experienced 2 malfunctions in the 2K I have shot and I attribute them to underpowered rounds because the recoil was very light when the malfunction occurred.  I am not an expert on the Al cased ammo but I will venture to say Al is on the same level of strength as brass with edge going to Aluminium being the strong metal.  On top of that I do not think the Al cased ammo is pure Al I believe it is an Al alloy so it would be much stronger than brass.  Brass does have more flex than Al so the reloadability goes to brass.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Interested in people's experience as I got in some aluminum cased ammo to use in a class where we are using ARs chambered in 9mm.  If I remember I will shoot some through my Uzi to see if they are safe in a blow back gun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've ran a few boxes of the Federal aluminum cased 9mm through my PPS43c without issue. The cases show no sign of swelling or stress. The brass cased NATO spec ammo is the only cases that showed signs of slight swelling at the base, like the glock "smile". But now I'm reading all these post about not using aluminum cased in blow back weapons as it can blow them up. Can anyone confirm ? Has anyone ran a lot of it through a uzi, AR 9mm or other ? -Thanks
View Quote

I've shot over 10K of alum. Blazer in my UZI and a lesser amount in me Sig. 226 and my Glock 34 with no problems. It runs good in an MP40 and a MK 760 too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I've reloaded a several dozen rounds of this stuff for fun in 9mm.  What I've found:

The once fired aluminum "brass" is fragile and rips 10x easier than the worst brass cases I've ever used.

So, it absolutely doesn't have the strength of brass.

By the second or 3rd mild reload, the cases are all self destructing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:13:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I used about 100 rounds of it in my EVO, no issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top