Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 8:23:46 PM EDT
I have never really given it much thought, as I have never shot +P ammunition out of my semi auto's (that might seem kind of weird but its true)

Anyway, my last employer supplied us with FEDERAL Law Enforcement 9mm 124gr. HST HP for our duty weapons and CCW....

Now I am with a new employer, and we can essentially carry whatever we want....

I picked up a box of SPEER GOLD DOT 9mm 124gr. +P "Short Barrel" GDHP.....I am carrying it in an M&P SHIELD.....I only plan to shoot a box through it, and then use as carry ammunition... Should this be OK?

Also, again, I am not too familiar with SD ammunition (since I was supplied with only approved ammo), but I also carry a Browning Hi Power......Any advice on what to carry (or what would be acceptable to carry) +P ok?

Thanks in advance from a noob on High Speed Low Drag ammo
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The manual says specifically not to use +P, but a lot of folks do.

Personally, I'd be plenty content with the 124HST you've been using. It's one of the best options available imo. I use +P ammo in some guns, but in my little Kahr 9mm's, the 124HST is what's in them.

That said, I doubt that using +P will KB your gun or anything. But it will (to one degree or another) increase wear, and will likely make for slower follow-up shots; which would be the bigger concern for me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd keep using the HST.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
From the M&P user manual:
“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety built into some revolvers and could therefore be DANGEROUS. This ammunition should not be used in Smith & Wesson medium (K frame) revolvers manufactured prior to 1958. Such pre-1958 medium (K-frame) revolvers can be identified by the absence of a model number stamped inside the yoke cut of the frame. (i.e., the area of the frame exposed when the cylinder is in the open position.

“Plus-P-Plus (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith & Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated.
View Quote

The M&P Shield manual is similar.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
.Any advice on what to carry (or what would be acceptable to carry) +P ok?

View Quote

+P is ok, but in a shorter barrel you mostly get more muzzle flash and report for very little velocity benefit.

+P isn't any type of nuclear ammo, it's simply slightly higher pressure.

SAAMI 9mm spec is 35,000 psi
SAAMI  9mm +p spec is 38,500.

NATO spec splits the difference at 36,500.

For the extra 10% pressure you might get an extra 40-60 fps.  If that extra 50 fps makes a difference in how the bullet performs then IMHO you need a better bullet.

For a shorter barreled pistol I would pick the heaviest quality bullet available, which means 147 grain Gold Dots, HST, Win-T, or Win-B.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it safe to use in full sized semi autos?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it safe to use in full sized semi autos?
View Quote

Any modern 9mm pistol should be ok but read the manual just to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I read a thread here where someone had issues with +p specifically in their shield. It may have been +p+ but it was definitely out of a shield.

That said, I've had no issues with various +p loads out of my M&P FS or SIg P226
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I think +P in small framed nines is foolish.  No point, causes excess wear with no performance gain
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Personally I think +P in small framed nines is foolish.  No point, causes excess wear with no performance gain
View Quote
Short barrel is where you need the extra edge even if slight. I carry 147gr +p HST in my EDC Sig 938.

I don't use it at the range so the extra wear is negligible. A few times a quarter I'll send some down the range to keep on top of things but 99% of the range use is ball 115gr.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Louder, snappier recoil, slower follow up shots, and some loads in +P underperform the standard pressure loads.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Louder, snappier recoil, slower follow up shots, and some loads in +P underperform the standard pressure loads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I can't make up my mind right now.   I'm carrying 9BP 115 grain standard pressure in a 1911 now, but I have a stash of 9BPLE, same bullet in +p+.   The hot stuff might expand a bit more, but it does flip the muzzle a little more, too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I've decided if I had my choice it's to go standard pressure.  Whatever it is just make sure the High Power fees it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I shoot and reload standard.  I carry +p+ ;)
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#14]
The highest one stop shot data on a 9mm cartridge is the 115 grain Federal 9BPLE.  It has a 91% success with one shot.

It's also a +p+ load.

There is something to say about velocity.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=0
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
IMHO... the main advantage to +P ammo is the added cycling energy.

There may come a time that you cannot fire your handgun as "usual".

If you are wounded or firing with your weak side, or the gun is really filthy ( mud etc )... you might want the added oomph from the +P to operate your slide.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 5:11:59 AM EDT
[#16]
i carry +P in everything i carry, or for home defense, the wife carries double tap +p 115 gr, with speer bullets, its also whats in our glock 17(night stand gun), the felt recoil between the regular ball we were shooting and that stuff wasn't a very big difference,  even to the wife, if you shoot lots of it, it can increase wear and tear, its really a decision you have to make for yourself, any modern high quality hallow point will do the job, at the end of the day, bullets make holes, holes put a stop to bad guys plans
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Personally I'd never buy a pistol for SD that can't handle +P+ ammo as the Federal 9BPLE is the only carry ammo I use.
I do own a cherry W.German Sig P6 but it's strictly a "fun gun".
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd stay away from +p anything in a High Power, I don't have any charts or graph's to back up my position. My first center fire handgun back in 1995 was a BHP and it seems like the general feeling at the time was "you shouldn't do it because the pistol is an old design and wasn't meant for hotter than standard ammo". That's all I've got .
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#19]
The Federal HST is great in all flavors. I like the 147gr myself.

I wouldn't worry about std vs +p. Standard HST is already great and will have less recoil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top