Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2015 8:00:44 PM EDT
Recently put together a 9mm AR. I'm looking to buy some bulk quantity ammo to run through it.  Any recommendations on where or what to buy?

Anybody run this from Surplus ammo?  I don't mind that its reloads if its decent stuff, price is hard to beat.

http://www.surplusammo.com/9mm-115-grain-fmj-saa-500-rounds-remanufactured-bulk/
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Winchester 9mm, 124 gr, FMJ, Q4318 with NATO on the box from Walmart is good stuff. About $15/box.

Might find it a little cheaper if you purchase 1000 at a time online.

New brass 9mm 115 gr is available from many sources at around $220/1000.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like Sellier & Bellot 115gr FMJ for bulk practice ammo.  You can find it pretty inexpensive (last 1K I bought was $218), and it has a good pop.  To me, the felt recoil was close to Federal HST 124gr in my S&W Shield 9mm.  So I run that ammo in my 9mm SBR.  Fired hundreds of those and they have all been flawless.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get new for right around that price.

I've shot several hundred rounds, here recently, of PPU, S&B and Fiocchi 115 grain fmj ammo. Paid $11-$12 a box for it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Check your local walmarche (walmart). They had some Federal alum, Perfecta, and ZQ1 selling for less than $10 a box of 50. ($9.97IIRC)
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Berrys Bullets.  124gr Round Nose plated.  Dillon Press.  Winchester 231. Primers.  Cases.

Get some bulk.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The 115 grain Winchester white box Wallyworld specials ran through mine just fine when I was troubleshooting it.  That would be a good source of brass for you too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.  Swung by wally world and picked up a few hundred of the Winchester white box and some zq1.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting thread as I just built a 9MM AR not long ago myself, in for the knowledge.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
My CMMG has run great with WWB, Fed value pack, Win NATO, and my medium reloads. Pretty much any brass cased store bought ammo so far.

It didn't like my light reloads, but then again the pistols BARELY eat them. So I don't fault the rifle.

I have not tried steel case Ruskie ammo or aluminum case, but I have some of both to try.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't have a 9mm AR but my semi-auto UZI only runs reliably with hot ammo like the Winchester 124gr. NATO or Wolf steel case if I want to go cheap. Just saying because you want to know what you gun likes before you buy anything in "bulk" quantities.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Just picked up 1K of Perfecta 115gr (brass, boxer primed made by Fiocchi) at Wallyworld for $154.34 out the door!

Nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just picked up 1K of Perfecta 115gr (brass, boxer primed made by Fiocchi) at Wallyworld for $154.34 out the door!

View Quote

Only one case?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Only one case?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Only one case?
Between paydays.

I hope there is some left Friday. Girl told me they have "pallets" of it.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
that's a local price specific to your AO right?

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know. It appears to be all the wallyworlds in middle Tennessee at least.

Picked up 2K more [email protected]/box(50rds), 1K of .308 @ 6.94/box(20rds), and 2K of [email protected]/box(50rds).I haven't seen the .223 yet.

That 'bout taps out my mad money for this check. Hope they still have more next payday. Time to stock up.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Since a 9mm ar is blowback, some are wary to use aluminum cased ammo. There's a kb thread in the general forum that shows one of those new cz skorpion polymer pistols that is destroyed using aluminum casings. I'd watch my fired casings for pressure signs, swelling at the base, etc
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:55:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since a 9mm ar is blowback, some are wary to use aluminum cased ammo. There's a kb thread in the general forum that shows one of those new cz skorpion polymer pistols that is destroyed using aluminum casings. I'd watch my fired casings for pressure signs, swelling at the base, etc
View Quote

Got a link?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 9mm AR has never functioned 100% on aluminum cased ammo. Lots of ejection problems, resulting in some messed up ammo when the next round tries to feed into the chamber. As much as I love aluminum cased ammo in my handguns, I won't use it in my AR anymore.

I should mention my upper is a CMMG with a 10.5" barrel. I don't know if the barrel length has anything to do with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top