Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2015 12:14:27 AM EDT
Hello,

I recently purchased my very first 1911 .45.
I was considering buying a bullet mold and casting my own bullets.
This will be the first modern cartridge I have ever reloaded and have in the past cast/sized/loaded various cowboy rounds.

So, i was wondering if anyone had any advice on a particular 230 grain bullet mold.  I was considering trying this bullet mould by Lee

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-452-228-1r.html

Does anyone have any experience with casting this bullet or putting together a load with this bullet?
I was planning on using Hodgen Tite Group powder.

Thanks for any advice.
This ammo would be mostly for practice and sport.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got several 45 moulds, and that is one of my favourites.  I use CLAYS and UNIQUE.  You'll like that bullet, and of course, they should feed in everything, being a round nose.

Ray
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#2]
My suggestion would be to buy a 6 gang mold for the bullet of your choice.  I have recently been casting with them and they increase production by like 3 times No really, those large .45 bullets cast easy and doing six quality bullets at one time is fast and easy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got several 45 moulds, and that is one of my favourites.  I use CLAYS and UNIQUE.  You'll like that bullet, and of course, they should feed in everything, being a round nose.

Ray
View Quote

Ray
Thanks for the advice.  I will give some thoughts to a different powder.  I have always used hodgen powders.  I know tite group is somewhat dirty.  How is Clays and Unique?  

Also.  Do you find that you have any problem with leading in the barrel?  If you don't mind sharing, what lube do you use in your lubrisizer?

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My suggestion would be to buy a 6 gang mold for the bullet of your choice.  I have recently been casting with them and they increase production by like 3 times No really, those large .45 bullets cast easy and doing six quality bullets at one time is fast and easy.
View Quote

I might consider getting a six gang mold.  I have never used one.  Was always wondering how hard it was to get hot and keep even.  But I can see how it would be quicker.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Unique is not particularly clean, it just matches so many jobs on the reloading bench, rifle shotgun and pistol.  As for leading, I used to think velocity was the culprit, but once I started hanging out with experienced casters, learnt that bullet diameter is the key.  That mould will throw .452, which should be perfect.

As for sizing, I use Lee's liquid Alox with their push through sizing dies.  But don't assume you need to size, very likely your pistol or revolver will be happy with those bullets right out of the die.  <but lube for sure>

Ray

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Titegroup has a very high flame temperature.  With uncoated lead bullets Titegroup makes for some very smoky loads.  Try Bullseye, works great under lead bullets in 45 ACP.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Titegroup has a very high flame temperature.  With uncoated lead bullets Titegroup makes for some very smoky loads.  Try Bullseye, works great under lead bullets in 45 ACP.
View Quote

Awesome.  Thanks for the advice.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Purchase some cast SWCs and see how good the gun is with them.
Then you can tell if your cast bullets are up to par.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:41:27 AM EDT
[#9]
The Lee 6 cavity mold is a good place to start.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Whilst somewhat spendy, LEE 6 cavity molds have a good reputation for quality, as opposed to their 1 and 2 cavity molds.  In the .45 Auto, you would be well served by any decent, American made mold with ordinary lube grooves (Not tumble lube grooves), soft "messy" greasy/waxy lubes, an "as cast" diameter of .452" (aboot .001" fatter than your measured groove diameter) and some moderate charge of fast burning pistol powder.  You may find that LRN is more certain of function than SWC.

What's a moderate charge of powder?  Look at the load data and determine that for yourself.  All I'm saying is, don't casually magnumize the .45  Let it be, what it is.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:06:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Lee 6 cavity mold is a good place to start.
View Quote

+1 6 cavities is the way to go. Might want to try the tumble lube version and just tumble lube them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top