Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2015 3:23:32 PM EDT
One of the main reasons I'm sticking with the .40 round is that during the last ammo shortage its all I could find. Now of course almost everything is back in stock. I'd rather have 9mm or .45, but I stick with 40 under the assumption that if another ammo shortage ever happened again .40 would be around.

What are the chances of that happening? I mean hell I could be sticking with .40 all this time, only to find out that next ammo shortage its the one always out of stock.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope not.  I just dumped all my .40 and the guns that shot them.  Lol.

ETA:  If during the next shortage .40 is the only one out of stock, sell what you have kept for a very profitable amount and buy more 9 and 45.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I always will have a .40 also for that reason, but hey man you never know
what the hell is gonna happen anymore, just buy what you can,where you can,
When you can.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw that also. Now, I'm owning most every caliber.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Variety is the spice of shooting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes-- because people are STUPID. I have seen shortages in 1989,1994,1999, 2008, 2012 and morons NEVER learn. They will all show up here during the next panic-- "Duh, hey guys, I can't find no ammo and I only gots 3 bullets left 'cause I only buys one box every time I wants to go shoot"...
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up with a .40 for just this reason. Turns out, I like shooting it. Like anything else though, chance favors the prepared. Get as much of any caliber you can, cause you just never know when it wont be available.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I plan on picking hp a .40 for this reason. I don't stockpile ammo...I end up shooting what I have more quickly than I can afford to buy it. Even so, I've never not been able to shoot even through the shortages due to the fact I have firearms in nearly every major caliber. That said, I am also trying to stock up a bit before the 16 elections in order to shoot what I want, when I want.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I can almost gaurentee it. People (most) are too stupid to think past payday. They do not think or look ahead. Next panic it will happen again. They want the cool calibers of 9s and 45s because they seen it in the movies and they want to play Gangsta. The 40s not as "cool" as the rest of them. Buy a couple boxes more than you plan on shooting and store them away. You do not have to purchase cases of it, Buy what you can afford. I have plenty of all the calibers that I shoot and have NOT bought a single box during panic times, While continuing to shoot.  Also look into reloading if you are that concerned about it. Reloading does pay for itself when you can make your own for roughly half the price of store bought. (without panic prices)  $.08 for projectile, .035 for primer, .015 for powder and whatever you pay for casing. Roughly $.15 per 9mm round and what are you paying at the store? probably .25? So yes it WILL happen again. As another poster said "Chance favors a prepared mind"
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, for every 100 rounds I shoot, I buy 200 to replace it. After only having 600-700 rounds spread out between .40, .45. and .223/5.56 during 08'... I swore it would never happen again to me. I bought 750 rounds this week just because I found some deals but usually buy 300-500 rounds a month. It exponentially adds up. My .40's are M&P's... and with 180 grain ammo they shoot/recoil like a 9mmNato round out of a Beretta 92, a (pussycat), to me. So I'll always have .40's due to the fact the M&P series, whether it's the Shield, Compact, Mid-size, or Full-sized, S&W has made the round an enjoyable one to shoot for me. It's a great caliber in these pistols. And to answer your question was .40 the only handgun caliber you could find during the panic: for the most part I couldn't even find that. All I could really find was .45GAP of which I have no use for. Prepare now is the key!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot .40 before during & after...Not sure what you mean by more available...it was no more available in stores then anything else, online it was if you paid for it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shot .40 before during & after...Not sure what you mean by more available...it was no more available in stores then anything else, online it was if you paid for it.
View Quote

Locally, the Walmarts ALWAYS had .40 in stock, piles of it, even during the worst of the scare. The round just isn't popular in certain parts of the country. Take a look at the price of police trade in Glock .40's vs. trade in Glock 9's- the 9's are always $25-35 higher and always sell out faster. I don't care for the .40 cal.. But recently I bought several Glock trade ins because they were really cheap, easily converted to 9mm AND can be converted back to .40 if need be to add flexibility in ammo availability.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#12]
If the 40 S&W was really as ineffective and unpleasant to shoot as arfcom says it is then during the next panic/shortage 40S&W won't even be available since only obsolete cartridge collectors will have any 40S&W ammo and all the 40S&W handguns will be scraped or relegated to museums.

I don't think I bought hardly any factory pistol ammo during the last shortage, certainly no practice ammo, maybe a few boxes of CCW ammunition.  I have dies setup on tool heads for my Dillon 650XL for all the handgun cartridges I own.  My favorite components where not always available (Federal Primers and Vihtavuori Powder was pretty scarce) but I had components stacked pretty deep (e.g. I had 20K of primers when the panic started) and I could always get sufficient component to keep shooting.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

One of the main reasons I'm sticking with the .40 round is that during the last ammo shortage its all I could find. Now of course almost everything is back in stock. I'd rather have 9mm or .45, but I stick with 40 under the assumption that if another ammo shortage ever happened again .40 would be around.

What are the chances of that happening? I mean hell I could be sticking with .40 all this time, only to find out that next ammo shortage its the one always out of stock.
View Quote
I wouldn't exclusively stick to .40 for that reason, but it's a good reason to have at least one .40 in the safe just in case. Preferably one of the same platform as your other caliber guns.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I have all calipers I mostley shoot 40, but buy all 9mm, 40, 357sig, 45, 38sp, 22lr,

Looking to get into the 357 mag here pretty soon.

I've got no worries on the next shortage.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Who knows? It was easily available in my AO last time, but there's no guarantee about next time.

I too thought about picking up a .40S&W pistol, but after doing the math, decided not to.

If I were to buy one of the G22's Summit has, by the time I paid for the pistol, shipping and FFL fee, I could buy anywhere from 1,100 to 1,300 rds of 9mm at current prices in my AO. I could put it back and label it "For next panic use only!".

I would also want to shoot the G22 if I bought it, and at the going rate of about $21/box, I could buy 1 1/2 boxes of 9mm instead.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Who knows? It was easily available in my AO last time, but there's no guarantee about next time.
I too thought about picking up a .40S&W pistol, but after doing the math, decided not to.

If I were to buy one of the G22's Summit has, by the time I paid for the pistol, shipping and FFL fee, I could buy anywhere from 1,100 to 1,300 rds of 9mm at current prices in my AO. I could put it back and label it "For next panic use only!".

I would also want to shoot the G22 if I bought it, and at the going rate of about $21/box, I could buy 1 1/2 boxes of 9mm instead.
View Quote

Perhaps you should reload... Reloading prices are about half of what normal manufactured ammo is.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:16:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't worry about this because I reload and step it up one cast! Learn a trade and a tool that might help you only problem I have is getting 22 LR  and why? Because I cant reload it! Advice if you have at any time thought about reloading start collecting the brass NOW! You will thank me later!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Buy what you want and stock up.

There is no reason not to set back a lifetime supply of whatever caliber you prefer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes-- because people are STUPID. I have seen shortages in 1989,1994,1999, 2008, 2012 and morons NEVER learn. They will all show up here during the next panic-- "Duh, hey guys, I can't find no ammo and I only gots 3 bullets left 'cause I only buys one box every time I wants to go shoot"...
View Quote

Amen brother. WTF. Be prepared.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Never underestimate how bad things can get, because they can always get worse.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Perhaps you should reload... Reloading prices are about half of what normal manufactured ammo is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plan to start doing that for 9mm soon.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#22]
During the great panic of 2008, I had little to no issue finding 40 in Jacksonville.  At the time, I think WM was limiting us to 4 boxes per person, so I would buy 200 rounds of Federal 40 each week.  I think there were only 2 or 3 weeks where I went without because it was out of stock.  

This time around, the only round I could find wit any regularity was 22-250 and 7mm mag.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you plan on being equally unprepared for the next potential panic, then by all means stick with 40S&W.  It's been available due to waning popularity of the pistols chambered for it.  Tons of ammo was made and laying around, ergo its plenitude during panic time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Unfortunately, yes it probably will.  Be prepared.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I try to pick up a couple boxes whenever I get a chance, see a descent deal on any caliber and it wont hurt to get a couple hundred rounds, it builds up after a while, in 08 I got caught flat footed, swore that wouldn't happen again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:56:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, yes it probably will.  Be prepared.
View Quote
going with this

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Even getting some used 40S&W pistols right now is a good thing.
There are tons of police turn-ins out there right now, and there are a lot of people getting out of the caliber.
The local Cabela's, has been full of used 40S&W pistols, the last year or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top