Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2015 5:28:47 PM EDT
Right now I know,where there is some in stock.

American Eagle 124 gn suppressor ready
Winchester 147 gn train and defend
Remington UMC 147 gn
Winchester Super X 147 gn

Which one is the quietest ammo. I've got some privi 158 gn and it's quieter that the Win 147 gn train and defend I know. What's does the rest of them sound

Like? Are they close or the same as the 158 gn?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The quietest I've found is Fiocchi 158fmj. Mostly what I shoot is USA 147fmj-fp. Suppressor is a small Abraxas AE.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Right now I know,where there is some in stock.

American Eagle 124 gn suppressor ready
Winchester 147 gn train and defend
Remington UMC 147 gn
Winchester Super X 147 gn

Which one is the quietest ammo. I've got some privi 158 gn and it's quieter that the Win 147 gn train and defend I know. What's does the rest of them sound

Like? Are they close or the same as the 158 gn?
View Quote

Missed that the first time. Is that correct - 124grain subsonic? Never seen that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes American eagle makes it. It says suppressor ready on the box and the box is black.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Fiochi
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes American eagle makes it. It says suppressor ready on the box and the box is black.
View Quote

That's weird. (I looked them up and you're completely right, but it's just weird...)

I don't understand what application would be better-served with a specialty suppressed 124-grain RNFMJ, than with any of the inherently-subsonic 147-158 grain loadings already out there. Whether a person wanted RNFMJ, FPFMJ, HP, SP, whatever, they're all already on the market.

Only thing I can think of is for reducing the recoil impulse, and that's typically a bad thing function-wise when using a suppressed semiauto pistol. Then again, maybe that could be a niche use for it - a worst-case function test of a gun/suppressor combo. If a suppressed pistol can run with a light-bullet subsonic load like this, it would likely function with any normal suppressed load.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's weird. (I looked them up and you're completely right, but it's just weird...)

I don't understand what application would be better-served with a specialty suppressed 124-grain RNFMJ, than with any of the inherently-subsonic 147-158 grain loadings already out there. Whether a person wanted RNFMJ, FPFMJ, HP, SP, whatever, they're all already on the market.

Only thing I can think of is for reducing the recoil impulse, and that's typically a bad thing function-wise when using a suppressed semiauto pistol. Then again, maybe that could be a niche use for it - a worst-case function test of a gun/suppressor combo. If a suppressed pistol can run with a light-bullet subsonic load like this, it would likely function with any normal suppressed load.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe their going cheap 124 is cheaper than 147 or 158. Then throw in less powder your saving there to. On a reloading level that might not matter but on large scale production level.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#8]
To me, subsonic 9mm is best made in the form of lead reloads.  Say, 125 or 130 grain plain base bullet pushed by just enough fast burning pistol powder to keep the action functioning, but the bullet still subsonic.

Lots of Euro 9mm pistols have largish groove diameters, and so .358" lead bullets may shoot very nicely from 9mms, as long as the loaded cartridge chambers OK.  They do in mine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't notice a difference really, anything heavy enough will do
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top