Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 12:45:45 AM EDT
For example, Federal continues to manufacture Hydra-Shok and Winchester makes Silvertips; even though both have been producing better bullets for years now.

Why don't they cease production on this worse, outdated ammo?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#1]
They still sell?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I still buy Federal Classic HiShok, not Hydra, Hi.  Comes in silver and navy striped boxes.

It's really cheap, I was buying cases for $45 more than FMJ in 2009.  I figure if the world ends, 80's hollow points will be better to have stacked than FMJ and I don't feel bad using it at the range.

I carry Ranger or HST now but if I can find old tech ammo cheap, I'll buy it.  SG has it now at $380/1000.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Because knowing how it'll perform makes for confidence. Years of experience lead to that knowing.
I use pretty much the same ammo as I did in the eighties. Still works, I know it'll work, I know it'll feed, I know what the terminal effects are, and I trust it.

Of course I shoot a 1911 in 45 so I'm a fudd. Ask any Glock shooter
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:03:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They still sell?
View Quote

This. People still think the Hydra-Shok is a top of the line bullet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:31:20 AM EDT
[#5]
because gun people fear change more than just about anyone on earth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For example, Federal continues to manufacture Hydra-Shok and Winchester makes Silvertips; even though both have been producing better bullets for years now.

Why don't they cease production on this worse, outdated ammo?
View Quote

Silence you! My MWS LOVES silvertips (grouping perspective, have no functional issues with any commercial or surp ammo)...and they work...nuff said.

For the record, I have a collection of 308 ammo, most with 10 rounds still in the box. Glad the ammo that costs more than silvertips, will not work well  (again, grouping perspective) in the MWS.

Disregard, I just noticed it is in the handgun forum. Guess it's time to catch some ZZZZZzzzzs.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:31:43 AM EDT
[#7]
for outdated pistols
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Because they are considered top shelf defensive loads for the regular commercial market. Plus they both have spill over markets in LE sales. Some loads are still in big demand and I can not keep them in stock. I do not always keep Silvertip in stock but they sell well when I do. 9mm and 45 Hydra Shock still sell well for me in both markets.

So long as there is a demand they will still make them, Same applies to +P and +P+ loads. Modern guns and bullet design do not need the extra pressure to work but there is enough demand that they keep loading them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Tooling costs a lot of money.

'Better' is the enemy of 'good enough.'
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I do not believe in hope and change.

I do believe in shot placement...and with that...this 80's technology will do just fine in my G29....

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I've always heard that 10mm Silvertips and .45 Hydra Shoks were good performers.

Where you hit them is far more important that bullet technology.

That said my carry guns are loaded with HST, Gold Dot, or Federal Tactical
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#12]
In 357mag, 10mm and 41 mag silver tip was well regarded.

Hydrashok is one of the best 380 bullets with th XTP. Both are old designs but achieve the ideal balance of some expansion but still penetration 12"
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In 357mag, 10mm and 41 mag silver tip was well regarded.

Hydrashok is one of the best 380 bullets with the XTP. Both are old designs but achieve the ideal balance of some expansion but still penetration 12"
View Quote

Absolutely. The Hornady XTP was the first hollow point designs to consistently meet the FBI's 1.5x expansion and 12" penetration requirements in a number of calibers.  It's still the only design that will reliably do that in a 3.9" .380 ACP and one of only a handful that will do it in a standard pressure 4"  .38 Special.  

It's also known to be a very accurate bullet in all of it's calibers and weights.

In the .357 Mag and .41 Mag it's hard to find a ineffective load and I have no problem buying inexpensive hollow point promo ammo from Federal, Winchester, etc using those outdated designs.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Unless the human body has gone thru some evolution revolution in the last 25 years, standard JHPs and "outdated" bullets will still work. Shot placement..shot placement...shot placement.

I seriously doubt a perp will yell at you for using an outdated bullet rather than a current one.
Love all the guys that think an outdated bullet won't hurt you or be effective. A musketball from a .36 caliber cap and ball pistol will have the same effect on you as 150 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Unless the human body has gone thru some evolution revolution in the last 25 years, standard JHPs and "outdated" bullets will still work. Shot placement..shot placement...shot placement.

I seriously doubt a perp will yell at you for using an outdated bullet rather than a current one.
Love all the guys that think an outdated bullet won't hurt you or be effective. A musketball from a .36 caliber cap and ball pistol will have the same effect on you as 150 years ago.
View Quote

What he said. If your really worried shoot a 45. Otherwise the 20year old bullets are just fine. You can get just as dead from hits with a 45 silver tip as a gold dot.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What he said. If your really worried shoot a 45. Otherwise the 20year old bullets are just fine. You can get just as dead from hits with a 45 silver tip as a gold dot.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does an additional three inches of fat (on average) count?

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a 1,000rnd case of Federal 9mm BPLE +p+ for about $300. Its about $200 cheaper than Federal HST and besides you cant find a case of federal HST at that $500 price anyways.

Also ballistics gel test of BPLE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITIFDTRWz0c
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They still sell?
View Quote

I promise if sales drop enough they will go away, until then they are here .
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, and in that case I prefer a slower and more moderately expanding bullet like the XTP with expansion to 1.5x it's diameter than one of the newer wonder rounds that rapidly expands to 1.6x or 1.65x it's diameter.  When propelled at the same velocity, the latter penetrate a lot less than the former, making those older bullets a better choice in chunky assailants.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#20]
The reason they sell is because the "average" gun owner knows that Burt Gummer ordered Hydra Shoks.....Seriously, they are 20 years behind in most things....that's not bad, just how it is....

The Hydra Shok, or as Clint Smith says, "The bullet with a Dick in it".......
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#21]
It still works.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Hydra-Shoks?  Those are newfangled.   I'm carrying Federal's 9BP on the street.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#23]
IIRC, the HydraShok is actually still one of the better performers in 380acp.

The 9BPLE..? Well, it simply works. Nearly a round-nose profile so feeding is as good as a HP gets, the energy is more than most 9mm loads (over 1300fps measured from my G19's and over 1200 even from G26), 12"-16" penetration in gel regardless of bare or denim-covered, and expansion to well over 45-caliber in most cases. And last I bought was $17.99 for 50. With the craziness of the last couple years, the price has jumped, but it's still a great-performing bargain.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bought a 1,000rnd case of Federal 9mm BPLE +p+ for about $300. Its about $200 cheaper than Federal HST and besides you cant find a case of federal HST at that $500 price anyways..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I bought a 1,000rnd case of Federal 9mm BPLE +p+ for about $300. Its about $200 cheaper than Federal HST and besides you cant find a case of federal HST at that $500 price anyways..

HST in 124 is one of my favorite standard-pressure 9mm loads, and what I carry in my CM9's. But nowadays you're going to pay more like $800 per K, not $500. You're absolutely right - you can backorder it at $500 or $600, but you can't actually find it at that price. And if one can't find it, he can't test it in his gun or carry it. I really like HST - it's what I carry in my little subcompact Kahr pistols. But running 150 each thru two guns for function testing cost me nearly $300. That's ridiculous imo. Yes I did it, but it's still ridiculous and still offends me.

One more reason to like the 9BPLE - it can still be had for around $350 per thousand; and probably the only street-proven performer anywhere near that price.

Quoted:
9BPLE

Shhh..... Don't tell people; that'll leave more for us.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#26]
People still want to buy what they're use to. I'm sure when I'm in my 60s people will be asking "Why do they still make Federal HST ammo?"
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Winchester doesn't make a 10mm in their rangers. And stop making black talons.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#28]
My .02   Because of supply and demand. If people continue to buy it, Stores will continue to order it and Manufacturers will continue to make it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#29]
So tired of seeing all the 158gn RNL and 130gn FMJ ammo in 38spl.
If they replaced both of those loads with a full powered 158gn SWC, I'd be happy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So tired of seeing all the 158gn RNL and 130gn FMJ ammo in 38spl.
If they replaced both of those loads with a full powered 158gn SWC, I'd be happy.
View Quote

The 158 SWC is one of my favorite 38/357 projectiles and what I load the most of in .38spl, but strangely enough I stumbled across a niche that the WW-USA 130 FMJ-FP works stunningly well for.

The FP shape gives approximate SWC performance, and from a suppressed carbine it's still (just) subsonic and being jacketed it doesn't lead up the inside of the silencer. It's very limited in what I use it for, but for that particular (nuisance critter) use, it's pretty good. A big part of the equation is that I rarely load jacketed bullets in 38spl, so this load is a handy, cheap option that works better than I thought it would; and was something like $179 per thousand when I stocked up, which admittedly was a while back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I will happily take a case of older hollow points vs FMJ for long term storage. Example the older Federal 115 hollow point that had a good track record when used by LE. No its not the latest generation Gold Dot, but I would not feel bad if they were in my nightstand gun. Bullets maybe a generation back are affordable for buying in bulk.

what makes me laugh is seeing people paying $50 a box of old Black Talons.

Great thread..
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I kind of assumed it was a mix of police contracts and name recognition.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Average gun owner is completely ignorant, to include being ignorant on small arm ballistic & terminal performance.  Silvertips and Hydroshocks have name recognition going back three decades, and thereby folks will buy them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I kind of assumed it was a mix of police contracts and name recognition.
View Quote

Yes I sell pallets of Hydra Shock Tactical to both markets every year.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:28:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They still sell?

Ditto these two comments. While I haven't purchased any silvertips since sometime in the 1990's (as best as I can recall) I, however, would still have no problem purchasing .40 or .45 caliber hydrashocks today. They wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't necessarily turn my nose up at them, either----especially if TSHTF and I was in a bind for some sort of ammo now.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I am my own "ammo company."  I cast most of my own bullets.  My molds are all traditional styles.  Why do I do it?!  Because I haven't complained, and they still work great for targets and game.

How dare I?
With verve, that's how.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#37]
While everyone else is out buying the newest latest and greatest ammo Ill keep buying the Hydrashoks and XTP's for cheap.  If I could find HST or Gold dot or GD2 ammo for sale locally at reasonable prices I would buy it but demand has driven the prices up in my area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top