Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2014 2:49:17 AM EDT
ok, this is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway... Are cartridges with light primer strikes dangerous? What I mean is, is it a ticking time bomb with a possibility of it suddenly going off or does the primer need another good solid strike for that to happen?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
IME with semi auto rifles and light primer strikes:

Any situation which allows the free floating firing pin to dent the primer is a situation, which repeated a few more times, is a slamfire waiting to happen.

My Garand, SKS  and Mini dent primers on chambering.

A dented round, sitting around?  Nothing is going to occur.  Rechamber it several more times in the weapon that's been denting it, and who knows if or when the slamfire will happen.

But maybe this question is about pistol ammo?  To me, bullet setback upon chambering is a bigger concern.  Especially when the loaded cartridge is subjected to repeated chamberings.  The pressure the cartridge generates begins to rise dramatically upon setback.   Want to fire proof loads in your 9mm?  Take a factory round and tap/press the bullet .100 deeper into the case.  The NRA reported that in 9mm in particular, this can make pressure double.

Let's be safe, out there.  I only reload my SKS w/ hard primers to defeat the slamfire phenomenon.  Which I've experienced a few times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top