Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2014 3:24:17 PM EDT
I realize it's not on the ammo oracle but I can't find HST or gold dots locally. I got a 25rnd box of these for $19. In reality, they will just be for spare mags for the truck pistol, not the primary mag in my EDC. Am I worrying too much? It's those or some Winchester 124g Train and Defend cartridges.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Brass Fetcher tested it a while ago.  Not great but if its all you can get your hands on, better than a sharp stick

http://www.brassfetcher.com/9x19mm%20Luger/9mm%20Luger%2010%25%20gelatin%20results.pdf

Does it cycle reliably in your firearm.  If it does, carry it until you find something better.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you are worrying too much IMO.

If I had a hard time locating the "premium" stuff, XTP would be perfectly acceptable. And I'd be confident carrying it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as it functions in your firearm, I would carry it without hesitation. The XTP is a very well-made bullet that is designed more for penetration than expansion. Though it isn't my top choice, I would rather err on the side of over-penetraton than over-expansion.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as it functions in your firearm, I would carry it without hesitation. The XTP is a very well-made bullet that is designed more for penetration than expansion. Though it isn't my top choice, I would rather err on the side of over-penetraton than over-expansion.
View Quote

This.
Tomac
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#5]
It is what I am using at the moment and see no reason to change as I have 500rds of it.  When that is gone I have 1050rds of the Critical Duty 135gr to use.

People worry too much about their ammo being "on the list" IMO.  Reliable function, accuracy, availability, and price are all more important than the bullet being the newest technology on the market to me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Brad, I roll them in one of my guns (G19), because I can get 15 rounds, at 15 yards, the size of half dollar.  They shoot really well, although a little older tech.  

As a side note, why are your options limited to 2 rounds???
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. It tends to shoot very well for me to boot. It may not be top tier but it beats ball all to pieces.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#8]
XTP will penetrate deeper than something like Gold Dot or Ranger. I think they are great bullets. Ive used them in 45 acp and 44 Mag and they always impress.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:41:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the XTP myself it gets decent reviews and performs great in ballistic tests.  I use it because finding Winchester PDX 147 non +P is nearly impossible to find.  I have never shot a person with it nor have probably everyone here so it is impossible to say it is better or worse than any other round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top