Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2014 4:01:06 PM EDT
An article I wrote regarding a few of the better options for 10mm defense ammo.

10 mm auto is an extremely versatile cartridge that is quickly gaining in popularity. It offers the energy of .357 magnum in a rimless auto cartridge, which brings with it the benefits of faster reloads and higher capacity than you can get in a revolver. Some uninformed brutes of questionable lineage might claim that it is “too much” for defense, but those same buffoons are not likely to argue that the .40 S&W or .357 mag are “too much” (my apologies if you are a buffoon who understands that 10 mm isn’t voodoo magic). See, 10 mm is capable of remarkable power for an auto pistol, but it doesn’t have to be loaded to the bleeding edge of SAAMI specs. Even at full power, it doesn’t necessarily penetrate more than other pistol cartridges when it is loaded with the right bullet. If you carry a 10 mm for defense, you are clearly a wise person of noble lineage and you already know that. You may be interested in which loads for the 10 mm are best suited for defense, though, and that’s what we’re here to talk about.
View Quote

The rest is here if you're interested.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
An article I wrote regarding a few of the better options for 10mm defense ammo.

http://images.homedefensegun.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/10mm-Witness.jpg

10 mm auto is an extremely versatile cartridge that is quickly gaining in popularity. It offers the energy of .357 magnum in a rimless auto cartridge, which brings with it the benefits of faster reloads and higher capacity than you can get in a revolver. Some uninformed brutes of questionable lineage might claim that it is “too much” for defense, but those same buffoons are not likely to argue that the .40 S&W or .357 mag are “too much” (my apologies if you are a buffoon who understands that 10 mm isn’t voodoo magic). See, 10 mm is capable of remarkable power for an auto pistol, but it doesn’t have to be loaded to the bleeding edge of SAAMI specs. Even at full power, it doesn’t necessarily penetrate more than other pistol cartridges when it is loaded with the right bullet. If you carry a 10 mm for defense, you are clearly a wise person of noble lineage and you already know that. You may be interested in which loads for the 10 mm are best suited for defense, though, and that’s what we’re here to talk about.
View Quote

The rest is here if you're interested.
View Quote

Not bad.

I love the Honady 180gr XTP's. The recoil is fairly mild this is a solid penatrator and is known to expand reliably. The 10mm has something for both the mass and velocity guys and that is why it is my favorite pistol caliber round.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
10mm is the best mm.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:38:07 AM EDT
[#3]
It's an interesting caliber with great results (when loaded properly) problem is most ammo companies don't seem to want to offer anything but a more expensive 40 S&W with simply a longer case.

Seems like unless you do your own reloading or are selective on companies/lines you feed the gun you're better off with another caliber atleast from an economic standpoint.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:49:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's an interesting caliber with great results (when loaded properly) problem is most ammo companies don't seem to want to offer anything but a more expensive 40 S&W with simply a longer case.

Seems like unless you do your own reloading or are selective on companies/lines you feed the gun you're better off with another caliber atleast from an economic standpoint.
View Quote

Yeah, that's true of any caliber. Reloading and careful shopping can get you better ammo at lower cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top