Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have come to agree with this position regarding HP bullets.  After almost 40 years of hand gun shooting, hand loading for just about every caliber, and 23 years as a cop, I carry 240 grain hard cast swc in my 3" 44 mag.  I load to about 950-1000 fps in magnum cases.  I have used bullseye, unique, green dot, 2400, powders and its all about the same.  Load a batch, sight the gun for point of impact as it may change with a powder change, But once thats done, I don't worry about the rest.  I do the same with .357 mag... 158 Gr. swc.   so thats where i stand, agree or not I'm happy.

mac.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:20:53 AM EDT
[#2]
And now it's my understanding that they are going back to 9mm.

So which FBI is right?  I guess you could argue they all are as the times and technology(?) of bullets have changed.
Once upon a time a military genius said, "Use your handgun to fight your way back to your rifle, which you should have never laid down to begin with."
Personal note...I haven't been to nearly as many autopsies as some others, but have been to about a dozen dozen.  And about that many crime scenes.  A 22lr has killed a lot of people, as has (gasp) birdshot.  I once interviewed a victim who had been shot 5 times with a 9mm, one of those to the face.  He lived and the rounds were FMJ.  Whoever said badguys don't buy premium ammo, I say is true.  At least in my experience.

One final thought.   Bullets I've held and autopsies I've attended, hold mountains more weight that what I read on some gun sight on the internet.  Sorry, too many years on patrol to completely trust unseen strangers from unknown locations where everyone is an expert.  Me included.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I

Did you trust the FBI when they decided to go to 10mm ?
Or did you trust the FBI when they switched to .40 ( along with most law enforcement agencies ) ?? They had lots of data to support this choice too ...
But now that the FBI Reaches a conclusion that we like - NOW I think they got it right -
A little irony

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll still use hollow points. Any expansion, however small, is better than a standard FMJ. Other than that, methinks your doctor/cop source isn't scientifically conclusive.

I agree.  There is NO scientifically conclusive evidence about handgun bullet expansion in humans.

But it's a cold bucket of water to the face after gelatin tests, water-barrel tests, bullet salesmanship, and speculation.

He didnt say there is no evidence he said your doctors experience alone is not enough to be conclusive. Like I said the FBI seems to disagree and they have the single biggest database in the world. I tend to trust them a little more.

Exactly

Did you trust the FBI when they decided to go to 10mm ?
Or did you trust the FBI when they switched to .40 ( along with most law enforcement agencies ) ?? They had lots of data to support this choice too ...
But now that the FBI Reaches a conclusion that we like - NOW I think they got it right -
A little irony

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:41:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Everyone keeps thinking the FBI is never wrong about handgun calibers, yet they keep changing back and forward.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Everyone keeps thinking the FBI is never wrong about handgun calibers, yet they keep changing back and forward.
View Quote

That's because all handgun rounds suck when you think about it.  The human body has a very hard time having the finesse to fire handguns accurately under the stress of a life and death situation.  It takes a lot of good training and a ton of training to just get hits versus misses using handguns in gunfights.  Plus, handgun rounds are all wimpy compared to good rifle or shotgun rounds.

As a side note, I've put down deer with handgun rounds and have found that the bullets have expanded as designed.  I also googled "hollow point bullet wound xrays" and see several images of expanded bullets in bodies (note: a lot of the images are graphic so don't google that term if you have a soft stomach).

ETA: I'm sure there has been real life shootings where 9mm vs 40 vs 45 would've made a difference, whether it would've been the additional capacity of the 9mm, or the larger bullet of a 45, or the compromise of the 40.  The fact is that we can't see into the future so we won't know what feature we will need more if we are involved in a gunfight.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

One of the little problems is that the 'field experience' is just about always on older components.

Add to that the difficulty in determining tissue damage 'after the fact.'

Unless the tissue is 'hamburgerized' it is very difficult to determine damage extent when perfusion ended shortly after injury.

Bruising? Not going to be there to any great extent if blood flow stopped.

Add to all that lividity that starts immediately and it becomes rather 'touch and go' to interpret what you are seeing.

View Quote
IDK, from what I've seen people either drop like puppets with their stings cut or they don't.

That's pretty much the first thing to worry about.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I use, "gasp", hard cast in my carry weapons.

If all else is a variable, go with penetration.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nope, in the great scheme of things, they still suck. All we've done is to make them suck a little less, and to suck a little less in a reliable fashion. You still can't make a pistol into a rifle: TANSTAAFL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Decades of post - mortem examinations have led to the bullet designs and testing methods we use today. That said I agree it's likely that in civilian gunshot wounds you're seeing cheap ammo, not good ammo. If the OPs experts had more experience with LEO- induce wounds I bet the conclusions would be very different.

Oh that's   100% truth.

That's kinda what I was wondering. Since the horrible record of pistols include 25 ACP, 32 ACP, and other small caliber pistols firing FMJ and experienced people have said that most of the shootings they've seen involve these poor caliber and ammunition choices how much is the data skewed? What would be the results if only 9mm-357 Sig-40 S&W-45 ACP using high quality ammunition were recorded? I'd wager you'd see a very large increase in the effectiveness of handguns, maybe handguns can be far better performers than commonly accepted?

Nope, in the great scheme of things, they still suck. All we've done is to make them suck a little less, and to suck a little less in a reliable fashion. You still can't make a pistol into a rifle: TANSTAAFL.

Tell that to my SRH .454.

Sorta kidding but sorta not. I have my .357 Sig P226 near the bed along with a 6920 with Rangers. In reality, though, my SRH is the nightstand gun (350gr flatpoints) and at my bedroom door is the Guide Gun .45-70 (405gr flatpoints at 1900fps). One of the big bores would be what, at least initially, would be in my hands, unless I felt some urgent need to exit my home.

Part of that is because of the extremely rural area I live, I'm more likely to have a bear in my house than a bad guy. The one time I touched off the .454 inside the house was actually at the bear halfway into my kitchen. I also don't expect Seal Team 6 to come in, one or two home invaders at most and I frankly don't give a shit if they have body armor with either big bore at household distances.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet the guy hasn't seen Critical Duty or HST. New bullet designs are the key.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#9]
PigBat; thank you so much for sharing your expertise and experiences with us. It's always nice to hear from someone who has so much experience on a subject...

I like to carry the heaviest bullet for caliber, 230gr (45acp) with either HST or Ranger's ...
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I think those observations are basically on the money…they're anecdotal; not a rigorous study, but basically correct.

The problem is that the only way to get repeatable results is to use ballistic gelatin tests, but those do not actually replicate real world conditions, which are highly variable.

There have been a few articles that have been posted recently that pretty much say the same things about handgun ammunition.  And they pretty much amount to a "return to earth" view that no handgun ammo is a sliver bullet that will reliably and consistently put down the werewolves.

I have always adhered to the philosophy that there are only three things that you really control as a hand gunner; 1) the caliber of the bullet (its diameter), 2) its weight, and 3) the velocity at which it leaves the barrel.

Now it can't hurt to use the latest bullet designs; HPs or whatever, but beyond the three things I have mentioned above, whatever happens, happens.  You might get some additional terminal ballistic benefit from the design of the bullet you have chosen or you may not.  To a certain extent, it's all just a roll of the dice.  

The most important things are to have a reliable firearm and ammo combination, your bullet placement, and a willingness to fight.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think those observations are basically on the money…they're anecdotal; not a rigorous study, but basically correct.

The problem is that the only way to get repeatable results is to use ballistic gelatin tests, but those do not actually replicate real world conditions, which are highly variable.

There have been a few articles that have been posted recently that pretty much say the same things about handgun ammunition.  And they pretty much amount to a "return to earth" view that no handgun ammo is a sliver bullet that will reliably and consistently put down the werewolves.

I have always adhered to the philosophy that there are only three things that you really control as a hand gunner; 1) the caliber of the bullet (its diameter), 2) its weight, and 3) the velocity at which it leaves the barrel.

Now it can't hurt to use the latest bullet designs; HPs or whatever, but beyond the three things I have mentioned above, whatever happens, happens.  You might get some additional terminal ballistic benefit from the design of the bullet you have chosen or you may not.  To a certain extent, it's all just a roll of the dice.  

The most important things are to have a reliable firearm and ammo combination, your bullet placement, and a willingness to fight.
View Quote
^^^^^all this.  Especially the bold underlined part.  
I would argue one point, on gel testing penetration depths have been shown to closely match real world penetration (with properly prepared and calibrated gel).

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#12]
To paraphrase several in this thread:  In my experience, the earth is flat.  I've had 60 years of experience with this.  So I know.  It's flat.  I don't really care about all that science stuff.. it's not what my experience tells me.

Really?  Because your life experience is what matters and is *the* indicator for how materials and physics works in the real world?

Things like black holes, bending time and space, and quantum mechanics must really blow your minds.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

To paraphrase several in this thread:  In my experience, the earth is flat.  I've had 60 years of experience with this.  So I know.  It's flat.  I don't really care about all that science stuff.. it's not what my experience tells me.

Really?  Because your life experience is what matters and is *the* indicator for how materials and physics works in the real world?

View Quote

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter . . . and suggest the following graphic for the cover-art of your next issue.

(artist illegible)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top