Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 11:10:09 AM EDT
for short barrel.
Anyone had any experience with this round ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
for short barrel.
View Quote

It's a wee bit light on penetration for some, but the information in the best choices FAQ sticky.

I use it in my short barreled .45's (Wilson Combat).
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
for short barrel.
View Quote

Gun Tests did a review on that ammo. They gave it an "A" rating.

Of course they also gave the Remington R51 an "A" rating so take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
For a short barreled .45 there is no reason to pick any round other than the Speer Gold Dot SB .45 acp round.

If I was hunting in one of the Condor Protection areas, I'd consider the DPX for my sidearm, but for general carry you can't bee the SB Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks,
In recent years 230 gr Gold Dot sb's have been my go to short barrel round,
they are a well documented, proven round and has functioned flawlessly in my short barrel's.
Recently I sent a LW Officers Model into SA Custom for work and in conversation, it was mentioned that
it might be worth considering a lighter weight round along with a 6 round carry mag instead of the
7 round Wilson's I sent along, to help insure consistent, bullet proof reliability.
I've searched out pretty much every thing I can find and most accounts indicate that the somewhat limited
185 gr sd round's seem to lack adequate penetration from a short barrel (even +P's).
Corbon has stated that the 160 gr sb will perform better in that regard... and from what I've read,
this all seems to be supported by Bill Wilson writings as well.
I expect the OM to return in a few weeks or so and want to have a couple of other options beyond what I have
on the shelf for function / accuracy testing
Corbon's 160 gr DPX looks like it may be a good consideration.

RedFalconBill,
Is it safe to assume they function 100% in your WC ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RedFalconBill,
Is it safe to assume they function 100% in your WC ?
View Quote

I don't have WC compact. I use Wilson Combat ammunition in my M&P 45c and P345. I apologize if I wasn't clear in my initial response.

But to answer your question, no I haven't had any issues with the WC ammunition.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen what the DPX does to flesh first hand shooting critters around the house (skunks, opossums, ect.) and Its devastating compared to my old carry ammo (185gr Gold Dot)

Its all I buy now for .45acp, really wish that they loaded them in nickel cases for the price though...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top