Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2014 3:07:10 AM EDT
Out of the major players in self defense ammo that are in common use LE these days which 230 grain hollow point is closest in shape to 230 grain FMJ rounds? More specifically gold dots, HST's, or Ranger T?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:04:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Off the top of my head, I think the Rangers, but don't go by perceived shape.  A couple years back I got a PPK, and (I know, different caliber, but the moral is the same I think) qualified with it as a backup/off duty gun.  Well, like an idiot, I failed to test my carry ammo through it.  I checked the list of authorized ammo, and upon inspecting .380 Gold Dots and Hydra-Shoks, noted that the Gold Dots were closest in profile to ball, and they chambered fine manually, so I loaded it and a couple spare mags with those, and called it good to go.  A month or so down the line I was at a friends farm doing some shooting, and I decided to shoot the PPK with my carry ammo (having just bought a bunch of new .380 Gold Dots.)

Well, the dang thing would fire 'em just fine, it just wouldn't chamber a single one of them during actual shooting.  A buddy of mine had a bunch of old .380 Hydra-Shoks with him, and I tried those, and they fed and fired just fine.  I made a point to round up a hundred and shoot them through it, and had nary a problem with them, and that's what I have in it to this day if I happen to carry it.

My point being, you cannot rely on shape alone to determine anything worthwhile about feeding reliability.  (Assuming that's your angle here.)
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the company that makes the closest profile is Remington. Their Golden Saber, which is changing over to their Home defense and Ultimate defense lines.
All The major manufactures have done a lot of redesign on their bullets. Try Federal Hydro Shoks, Speer Gold dot, Remington, And see what you gun likes best as to reliability and accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Out of the major players in self defense ammo that are in common use LE these days which 230 grain hollow point is closest in shape to 230 grain FMJ rounds? More specifically gold dots, HST's, or Ranger T?
View Quote

230 grain Gold Dots.  (also what the local PD carries)  The 200 grain is a completely different profile and has some "issues"

Absolute best feeding shape is actually the Golden Sabers, but unless you can find the semi-mythical bonded version the performance is terrible.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Off the top of my head, I think the Rangers, but don't go by perceived shape.  A couple years back I got a PPK, and (I know, different caliber, but the moral is the same I think) qualified with it as a backup/off duty gun.  Well, like an idiot, I failed to test my carry ammo through it.  I checked the list of authorized ammo, and upon inspecting .380 Gold Dots and Hydra-Shoks, noted that the Gold Dots were closest in profile to ball, and they chambered fine manually, so I loaded it and a couple spare mags with those, and called it good to go.  A month or so down the line I was at a friends farm doing some shooting, and I decided to shoot the PPK with my carry ammo (having just bought a bunch of new .380 Gold Dots.)

Well, the dang thing would fire 'em just fine, it just wouldn't chamber a single one of them during actual shooting.  A buddy of mine had a bunch of old .380 Hydra-Shoks with him, and I tried those, and they fed and fired just fine.  I made a point to round up a hundred and shoot them through it, and had nary a problem with them, and that's what I have in it to this day if I happen to carry it.

My point being, you cannot rely on shape alone to determine anything worthwhile about feeding reliability.  (Assuming that's your angle here.)
View Quote

Rangers are giving me some issues (see other thread in 1911). I was looking at them compared to fmj rounds and was thinking they are more pointed. So i am considering a change. I just am trying to avoid sending gun back to SA.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rangers are giving me some issues (see other thread in 1911). I was looking at them compared to fmj rounds and was thinking they are more pointed. So i am considering a change. I just am trying to avoid sending gun back to SA.
View Quote

Did you tension your extractor yet?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I checked the tension as described in the wilson combat video posted in other thread and it didn't seem to be overly tight nor loose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top