Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2014 2:52:53 PM EDT
Was browsing other forums and found this article. I found it very interesting and I know there is stuff out there about this but I wanted to share to see if others wanted to read it.]

It is from Brass Fetcher, he has some good videos of slow mo stuff on youtube also.

Yes I am aware there is an article and am currently reading the "Best choices for self defense" in the FAQ section.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the situation as to what I carry
Just saying: this subject is like the picture below around here.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya I know it is, its beat to death just about everywhere.. Just thought it was a useful data point for people that is all.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...Just saying: this subject is like the picture below around here.
View Quote

Agree. As I read somewhere once: "If you can hit your target, it doesn't matter if you're using a 45 or a 9mm. If you can't hit your target, it still doesn't matter."
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Agree. As I read somewhere once: "If you can hit your target, it doesn't matter if you're using a 45 or a 9mm. If you can't hit your target, it still doesn't matter."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Just saying: this subject is like the picture below around here.

Very True.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#5]
The way I have always look at it is this. 45 does a little more damage and 9mm hold more and easier to control (faster follow up shots)

just pick one and learn to fire as accurately as you can. Your in good hands with either.  

When it came time to choose a Glock I knew it was going to be a 45 because I had a pile of it for feeding my 1911 and the reloading dies and materials laying around as well. Therefore I chose a G41.If it were 9mm that I had laying around I would have bought a G17.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe I'm just simple.
Fire the biggest caliber in a handgun that you can control and are comfortable with.

Everyone I've ever met who says "9mm is too small" I always ask them to stand in front of me and let me shoot 'em once. If they are able after I shoot,

they can then shoot me with their 45.  Never had any takers.

Just saying.

Or as an old friend used to say "A shooter putting rounds on target with a slingshot is better than a shooter missing with a bazooka."

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just simple.Fire the biggest caliber in a handgun that you can control and are comfortable with.

Everyone I've ever met who says "9mm is too small" I always ask them to stand in front of me and let me shoot 'em once. If they are able after I shoot,

Just saying.

Or as an old friend used to say "A shooter putting rounds on target with a slingshot is better than a shooter missing with a bazooka."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just simple.Fire the biggest caliber in a handgun that you can control and are comfortable with.

Just saying.

Can I spray you with a Supersoaker full of rancid urine? No? It must be an effective manstopper then.

ETA: That article completely lost any credibility with me when this section came up:

When people ask me “what is the best handgun for self-defense?”, I tell them: the hardest-kicking firearm that you can accurately shoot.  Assuming a JHP expands and retains its structural integrity, your best bet is to look for the cartridge that produces the greatest kinetic energy at the muzzle.

Energy concerning pistol rounds is because none of them hit high enough levels to matter. That's almost as important as "energy dump" and the Taylor KO factor are to handguns. Pistol wounding is based on the bullet penetrating tissues and damaging them on the way to their stopping point. I'll take whatever caliber I can shoot the quickest with the best accuracy, the more hits you have the better your chance of taking a chunk out of something really important like the spine. With modern ammunition your odds are so close to even that I there is no point in arguing ballistic effectiveness between service caliber handguns.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#8]
"The FBI’s renewed interest in the 9mm doesn’t indicate that other cartridges are less capable or that they are poor choices for law enforcement. The truth is, with modern ammunition, any of the calibers currently in use by law enforcement will do the job — yet none of them will turn a handgun into the Hammer of Thor."

Source: http://www.policeone.com/Officer-Safety/articles/7453193-Why-the-FBI-reignited-the-pistol-caliber-war/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top