Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2014 11:33:11 AM EDT
any value to paying $1 extra per box for 147gr vs 115gr FMJ?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#1]
doubtful for practice ammo, unless it shoots smaller groups out of your gun or the 115gn doesn't shoot to the same point of impact as your defense loads.

Only other reason I can think is if you're shooting suppressed.  147gn is usually subsonic.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]

It isn't uncommon for a gun to shoot noticeably better with one or the other. Given the choice, I would pay the $1 more for 147 grain all day because it also has a different, less-snappy recoil IMO and I notice it for follow up shots in matches when I'm shooting factory.

If you're just shooting slow-fire at the range, it might not be worth it, but I do prefer 147 grain.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I would pay the extra $1. I carry 147gr and ideally Id to like to practice with the same weight if ammo that I keep my pistol loaded with. Recoil between 115 and 147gr is noticeable to me. It only makes sense to practice with as close of a round to your carry ammo as possible. Unfortunately I rarely see 147gr practice ammo for only a dollar more than 115gr so I tend to shoot mostly 115 at the range.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:07:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're practicing defensive shooting with your nightstand or carry gun; shoot the ammunition that most closely approximates the POI of your self defense ammo keeping in mind that slower heavier bullets will have a POI higher than that of faster, lighter bullets.

When shooting bullseye shoot whatever ammunition offers the best absolute accuracy in your particular pistol.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Shooting paper with a handgun i go with whatevers cheapest
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top