User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
147gr HST in the G19, XDS and VP9
230gr HST in the XDM
124gr Gold Dots SP01 and PPS

I want to try out some 147gr winchester bonded but cant find any.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
On topic: recently changed my carry ammo in the LCP from the Remington 102-grain JHP to the 90-grain XTP after checking out some additional gel-test videos.

Off topic:
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:...going off to be reblued, courtesy of the previous owner's place of employment. Some like the patina and wear, but I think it's awfully purple. Think of it as a facelift or the old gal.
View Quote

Never owned a blue one, but my stainless one will never leave the family:

I tried to make sure of that by having our last name engraved on the slide; only gun I've ever done that with. Some hard freaking stainless - took them four passes with a diamond bit.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm old...and like what I like. I'll leave all the new fangled explode on contact GPS guided fancy stuff for you young bucks.

In the G19...

In the G29...

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
100 gr Freedom Munitions FMJ new manufacture in my LCP .380

135 gr Gold Dot in my LCR .38

HST 147 non bonded standard pressure in my G17 and G19

HST 180 gr non bonded in my G27

Hornady Critical Duty 175 gr .40 in my Kahr CM40 (because I know it's reliable in this finicky gun).
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:39:13 AM EDT
[#5]
.380 XTP or Hydrashok

.38SPC Winchester Super X 148Gn WC

.38SPC (+P) Speer 135Gn SB Gold Dot

.357MAG  Win Bonded 180Gn JHP

9mm Federal HST2 147Gn JHP

.40SW Speer Gold Dot 180Gn JHP or Fed HST 180Gn

.45ACP 230Gn GDHP from Black Hills or Speer

.45Colt 250Gn Flat nose cast lead
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
180 Grain Winchester Ranger-T in Glocks 22,23, and 27.
127 grain +P+ Ranger-T in Glocks 17,19,26, and SIG P228.
158 grain LHP +P in S&W M10 4", 60 and 442 . Also Ruger GP-100 4" .38
185 grain +P Georgia Arms .45 ACP JHP in old Clackamas 5" Kimber 1911.
125 grain .38 Super JHP Georgia Arms in SA 1911A1 5".
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:38:13 AM EDT
[#7]
9mm is Speer Gold Dot 124 grn +P.

.380 is Precision One 90 grn XTP.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Winchester Ranger T 9mm 147 grain in my M&P shield and Federal HST 147 grain in my Glock 19.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like I have to get rid of the Golden Saber Bonded and replace it with PDX1, as my Combat Master doesn't like the Remington ammo at all. It fed the PDX1 and the cheap Walmart Federal aluminum-cased FMJ without a hitch, yet choked exactly the same way before I replaced the Combat Master's recoil springs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:45:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Hornady Critical Duty 135gr 9mm for all mine. Daily ccw is a 19
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Right now:

Hornady 115gr FTX 9mm

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There are in fact, many things that are better.

Winchester Ranger-B
Winchester Ranger-T
Speer Gold Dots
Federal HST

Any of these are better than the Critical Defense which was designed to underpenetrate (on purpose) by the manufacturer.

I normally carry Gold Dots, but the 9mm is loaded with HST.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hornady Critical Defense,
. Is there something better?
What are you guys carrying?

There are in fact, many things that are better.

Winchester Ranger-B
Winchester Ranger-T
Speer Gold Dots
Federal HST

Any of these are better than the Critical Defense which was designed to underpenetrate (on purpose) by the manufacturer.

I normally carry Gold Dots, but the 9mm is loaded with HST.

This...^^.  

Also IMI makes decent 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:27:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ranger bonded 147gr 9mm
View Quote

Same.  It took several years but I finally educated myself and left the 115gr world.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:52:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
147gr HST in the G19, XDS and VP9
230gr HST in the XDM
124gr Gold Dots SP01 and PPS

I want to try out some 147gr winchester bonded but cant find any.
View Quote

Ccwammo.com...out of stock but they are really good at getting in the hard to find ammo.  Just put yourself on the notify list.  They have always emailed me when ammo gets in stock.
http://www.ccwammo.com/Winchester-Ranger-9mm-147gr-box-of-50-RA9B-Bonded_p_15.html
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#15]
In my 1911 5" Kimber Warrior I carry:  Winchester Ranger T 230gr JHP Bonded RA45T
                                                             Federal HST 230gr JHP +P
                                                             Winchester PDX1 230gr JHP Bonded
                                                             Hornady Critical Duty 220gr, +P JHP

Glock 17 - Winchester 9mm 127gr +P+ RA9TA JHP
                           Federal HST 9mm 147gr. +P JHP
                           Federal HST 9mm 124gr. +P JHP
                           Hornady 9mm 135gr. +P JHP
          For suppressed use: PPU 158gr. FMJ sub-sonic
                                            Fiocchi 158gr. fmj  sub-sonic

Glock 20   Winchester 10mm Ranger T 200gr. Black Talon JHP
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm looking for some guidance on what to carry in my 9mm Walther PPS. I currently have it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense, but admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about ammo. Is there something better? What are you guys carrying?
View Quote

Same here, XDM 9mm with it topped off so 20 at the instant ready, with a mag under the dash and one on my side.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Same here, XDM 9mm with it topped off so 20 at the instant ready, with a mag under the dash and one on my side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm looking for some guidance on what to carry in my 9mm Walther PPS. I currently have it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense, but admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about ammo. Is there something better? What are you guys carrying?

There are a lot of videos on 9mm ammo tests using ballistic gelatin.  Shootingthebull410's 9mm Ammo quest videos are really top notch but concentrates on 3" barrel subcompact 9mm handguns.  tnoutdoors9 has been doing ammo tests for a long time and primarily shoots from a 4" barrel Glock 19.  If you watch these videos, you may elect to switch to something else or stay with what you have.  They both use FBI and IWBA testing process and criteria, and you'll have to draw your own conclusions on what to carry.  There are a lot of articles on this subject as well, by some really renown experts in ballistics (look at the sticky guide at the top of this forum page).  Bottom line is that it is your choice.  It's good that you are seeking wisdom here.  I think most of us are, too.  Here is a link to the 9mm Ammo Quest videos:

9mm Ammo Quest
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There are a lot of videos on 9mm ammo tests using ballistic gelatin.  Shootingthebull410's 9mm Ammo quest videos are really top notch but concentrates on 3" barrel subcompact 9mm handguns.  tnoutdoors9 has been doing ammo tests for a long time and primarily shoots from a 4" barrel Glock 19.  If you watch these videos, you may elect to switch to something else or stay with what you have.  They both use FBI and IWBA testing process and criteria, and you'll have to draw your own conclusions on what to carry.  There are a lot of articles on this subject as well, by some really renown experts in ballistics (look at the sticky guide at the top of this forum page).  Bottom line is that it is your choice.  It's good that you are seeking wisdom here.  I think most of us are, too.  Here is a link to the 9mm Ammo Quest videos:

9mm Ammo Quest
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm Ammo Quest

Thanks for the link, based on what I saw on a few, might be better with FMJ

I would like to see on a 4.5" though as that is my main carry. Again thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I think most people on this forum prefer heavy for caliber loads and prefer penetration over expansion.  I believe all of us know that regardless of ammo, if you don't hit anything vital, you are not going to stop your attacker.  So a lot of folks will test their carry ammo to make sure they are consistently accurate with what they choose.  That's how I am anyway.  Since I carry an S&W Shield, the 9mm Ammo Quest videos are directly applicable.  So I have tried pretty much all the ammo that has passed the quest.  I find that 124gr standard pressure HST is something I know I can find and buy, and I can shoot that reasonably consistently accurate, that's what I carry in my Shield.  I also can shoot the 147gr HST pretty well, too, but man, they are hard to find!  I like the 147gr HST better, but I can't find them reliably.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#20]
In my XDs 9mm: HP Winchester Ranger T-Series HP 147 Grain

In my Sig P6 (P225): Federal HST 124 Grain +P

Those are the only guns I really carry anymore, and 90% of the time I'm carrying the XDs. I still have good hydroshocks in my J-frame... should it need to put back into active service. The Rangers are old duty ammo I forgot to turn in when I moved from one agency to another....
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top