Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 12:03:17 AM EDT
Bought some of this the other night for the first time.  I have heard the stories about how it's underpowered and not reliable in some weapons.  Bought it anyway, my kid wants to go to the range this weekend and I'm low on 9 mil at the moment.  I cracked a box opened and was astonished by how tarnished/dirty looking the brass was and how quite a few of the bullets had small dents in them.  Is this normal for this stuff? I assume they use a plated bullet. It would be pretty hard to dent a normal jacketed bullet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Bought some of this the other night for the first time.  I have heard the stories about how it's underpowered and not reliable in some weapons.  Bought it anyway, my kid wants to go to the range this weekend and I'm low on 9 mil at the moment.  I cracked a box opened and was astonished by how tarnished/dirty looking the brass was and how quite a few of the bullets had small dents in them.  Is this normal for this stuff? I assume they use a plated bullet. It would be pretty hard to dent a normal jacketed bullet.
View Quote

That's normal. They use really thin plating, which is the reason for the "Not for LE" and "Not for ported/com'd barrels" warnings on the back of the box. The cases aren't polished or anything special, either. But with that being said, the stuff runs pretty well for the price. I chrono'd some as a comparison to some other 9mm ammo last month and the results were pretty good. Certainly not as underpowered as it has a reputation for being/used to be.

The article isn't about Champion, but the Champion chrono results are on the right side of the chart FWIW: Freedom/Champion Chrono Results

Short version is that it averaged 1195 out of a 5" barrel, which makes minor PF. I still prefer Winchester White Box for about the same $$, but the Champion is decent range ammo.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#2]
"Champion" is one of ATK's discount brands. I find it has a little bit more power and burns a little cleaner than WWB (but not much) based on running both through my Cx4. Like the other guy said, it is good basic range fodder but don't use it for anything serious.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Champion" is one of ATK's discount brands. I find it has a little bit more power and burns a little cleaner than WWB (but not much) based on running both through my Cx4. Like the other guy said, it is good basic range fodder but don't use it for anything serious.
View Quote

That's odd. Champion usually chronos at about the lowest of the bunch, WWB has been ~50-60 fps faster and has more recoil. Both are pretty dirty but I personally had the most issues with Federal as it didn't even have enough pressure to obturate the brass in the chamber and I had soot down the side of every fired case.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I've shot a thousands of rounds of Federal Champion 9mm, .40S&W, & .45acp. It's a little dirty, relatively accurate, and reliable. I've not had one problem with it. It doesn't look as pretty as Blazer Brass or PMC but it's great bulk ammo OP.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been shooting a lot of the Federal Champion 100 packs since Walmart carries it and it's pretty much the only cheap 9mm ammo I can find close by. I haven't had a single problem of any kind. It cycled and fired just fine out of a brand new HK P30L which are known for needing a bit of a break in before they are reliable with 115gr...or so I've read. Fed Champion and Winchester 100 packs are my go to for cheap range ammo. Neither have given me anything but joyous days of smoky bliss at the range.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been shooting a lot of the Federal Champion 100 packs since Walmart carries it and it's pretty much the only cheap 9mm ammo I can find close by. I haven't had a single problem of any kind. It cycled and fired just fine out of a brand new HK P30L which are known for needing a bit of a break in before they are reliable with 115gr...or so I've read. Fed Champion and Winchester 100 packs are my go to for cheap range ammo. Neither have given me anything but joyous days of smoky bliss at the range.
View Quote

Good to hear.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Before I started reloading I shot that champion whenever I could find it at Walmart.  

I do not recall having any stoppages out of P2000, P30, 226 or BHP
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's odd. Champion usually chronos at about the lowest of the bunch, WWB has been ~50-60 fps faster and has more recoil. Both are pretty dirty but I personally had the most issues with Federal as it didn't even have enough pressure to obturate the brass in the chamber and I had soot down the side of every fired case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Champion is definitely loaded lighter than WWB as a general rule, but my recent chrono results through a 5" barrel have been closer than I've seen in the past. I think WWB was about 25 fps hotter last time I tested. I can't find my notes though so I guess I'm doing it again lol
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Champion is definitely loaded lighter than WWB as a general rule, but my recent chrono results through a 5" barrel have been closer than I've seen in the past. I think WWB was about 25 fps hotter last time I tested. I can't find my notes though so I guess I'm doing it again lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not run either load past a chrono. I based my statement regarding velocity (possibly wrong) on my experience running both loads through my CX4. While it will fully function with both loads, it cycles VERY sluggish with both the WWB and the Fed. Champion. However, it is noticeably more sluggish with the WWB. My CX4 runs like a muscle car with any full-powered load (NATO-spec, CIP-spec., premium SD/HD loads, etc.). For me, WWB is the dirtiest ammo (clean-up wise) I have ever come acrosss.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#10]
No issues for me with M&P FS, XDS, or SR9c.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#11]
No issues here out of a M&P, Glock 17 and 19, Beretta 92.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I use lots of Federal Champion 9mm 115gr, it is my go to range ammo, I never have problems with it out of a G19 or a CZ75B.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

During the ammunition shortage, I noticed that those very lightly plated, lumpy, bumpy, disfigured and discolored bullets had found their way into other ATK loadings, like 9mm and .45 ACP Federal White Box, rather than the usual jacketed kind.

Although the bullets were as ugly as hell, accuracy was pretty decent up to 15 yards; further than that it was poor for my purposes.

I was just happy to get my hands on some 9mm and .45 ACP to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top