Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2014 6:53:42 AM EDT
So, it seems that as a regularly available supply is starting to return to shelves, the "new" post (latest) panic price for factory loaded 9x19 FMJ is ~$15/box of 50. What magical force has increased the price by 50% in a year as the prices of industrial metals (lead, copper, tin) have dropped slightly?

Yes, I reload but I am still curious and give me some reasons beyond "demand".

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:55:54 AM EDT
[#1]
My walmart just had the 100rd boxes of Winchester for $26.50 But the 124gr Nato stuff was $23 a box of 50

As for the "force" each time there is a panic, the price jumps, and never goes back down. Which is why you should stack it deep when you see it. I'm tempted to go pick up 5+ of those packs of winchester.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, it seems that as a regularly available supply is starting to return to shelves, the "new" post (latest) panic price for factory loaded 9x19 FMJ is ~$15/box of 50. What magical force has increased the price by 50% in a year as the prices of industrial metals (lead, copper, tin) have dropped slightly?

View Quote

What other reasons do you want? Its the way the free market works. Companies know they can get more money, so they are going to get more money.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Sam from SGA said a while back, the best I've heard it put.  A couple of years ago, when it was the cheapest in recent years, people got spoiled, and that wasn't realistic either.  There were just some sales, and big deals to be had in the industry, according to him, and I've not known him to lie.  So no it probably won't go down to .10 a round again anytime soon, but it will most likely go down some.  This is in pistol ammo, but mostly 9mm.  

Infinite, I realize who I am talking to, and respect your work a ton, but respectfully disagree.  It does go back down, it just takes time.  Case in point, people wanted $450 a K for .223, in 2008/09', and were getting it!.  Once it settled, we were paying $289 for brass like PMC.  Sandy Hook, and all of it's glorious bullshit put a hurting on us for sure, one like we have never seen.  Yet still, ammo is now getting plenty available, and when saturation happens, people will eventually slow their buying, and prices will self regulate.  This has happened before, it just takes time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't esspect prices to go down much further.  It really is demand--at stratospheric, heretofore unseen levels.  People aren't just buying ammo, they're trying to buy 10 years' worth, a lifetime's worth.  But manufacturers have responded accordingly so that is helping.  We all remember the first panic of 08/09, the mild one, and 18 months later prices had corrected significantly.  28-cent brass 223, 20-cent brass 9 mil, and (remember this?) 22 ammo was readily available at 20-25 dollars a brick.  Considering what had just happened and what was about to come, 2010 to 2012 were good times.  

Here we are nearly 18 months after the second panic and it's a damn sight different.  I have noticed lately though, just the last couple weeks, prices seem to have creeped down a couple pennies a round for 9 mil and 223.  This might be the bottom, or we might go a little lower.  But it doesn't take much, as we saw with 7N6, to send the herd into a stampede.  People got spooked after 2012 and have stayed spooked.  I'd buy all you can at these prices.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Peoples' willingness to pay.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Makarov, I agree with your train of thought ( even more so because the US military's consumption is down considerably ) .... but it is supply and demand... especially in the popular calibers ( 9mm and 5.56 ) .
( Mathematically speaking a 50 rd box of .40 S&W should cost more than just an additional dollar per 50 ) ( And I don't even want to go into the whole "power" part ... 5.56 is about the same price as 9mm when buying in 1k cases )

Personally, at $15 / 50 I'd consider buying.... but I saw the writing on the wall years ago and bought some a $7.99 / 50.

Now with that said... that writing is still on the wall... clearer than ever.  Look at the ban on 7N6, that ammo has been around for a long time... why are they just now banning it ?  Because OBummer is pushing to get anything to do with guns banned.

You guys do realize the 2nd Amendment says nothing about how much ammo you have a "right" to own, so that will be the way they limit your shooting ...... by controlling ammo.

Soooo.... buy it "cheap" and stack it deep.

Now that all that is off of my chest.... as long as we don't have another nut-job shooting , the price of ammo should continue to drop as supply keeps gaining on demand. I believe the new norm will be around $13 / 50 for 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Still doesn't stay on the shelf here long, ends up on armslist for 2x the price.  

I hope it'll drop
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Cabela's has been doing great deals. Also just get on back order lists with Midway, CCI Blazer Brass 124gr, $529 shipped for 2k rounds.

Cabela's sells their Herter's 9mm 115gr brass for $13.99 everyday, and use the $20 off $100 coupon they email you every other week, comes out to $12.32/50 after tax. This week they're running a sale for Blazer Brass 115gr for. $13.99, again, use the $20 off coupon, and join their Club Rewards (not Club Visa)program for 2% instant rebate, also, purchase through the eBates.com site, and you get an additional 2% cash back, pay with your Costco Amex, and get an additional 1% cash back. That's s 5% savings most of you are probably not taking advantage of,

.05 x $12.32 = $.62

Your $15 box of 9mm cost me $11.70

Shop smart fellas! However, I realize most people aren't as crazy as I am about finding the best deals, and are too lazy to click through one extra website.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The same could be said for gas and milk. They go up but never come back down.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:16:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Freedom munitions has the best prices on brass cased 9mm hands down.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
The tretail cost of the ammo is not really all that dependent on the price of base metals. It is what the public is willing to pay.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought 124g from sportsman's warehouse for $16 last week.
.38spl and .380 were over $20
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I think were on a down turn, panic has died down and production has been at full speed and then some since Nov Dec. Market is heading towards a saturation of ammo here in the next 4-6 months or so. CCI / Speer, Winchester, Federal, Fiocchi, etc. are all putting out ammo at record levels. At this point I intend to sit back and not purchase any factory ammo for a while.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Where are you finding this magical 9mm for a straight $15/box?  
And a year...There was NO ammo anywhere a year ago....
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are you finding this magical 9mm for a straight $15/box?  
And a year...There was NO ammo anywhere a year ago....
View Quote

Cabela's all day every day.

$13.99/50. Even cheaper with all the discounts I posted.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I Still cant find 9mm in south eastern Michigan. If you do, it's ~18.99 a box of 50 for blazer brass. The ONE Walmart i went  had 1 white box Winchester for 17.99 for 50 and 1 box of a 100 for 54.99. Same price as the 40.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:50:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think were on a down turn, panic has died down and production has been at full speed and then some since Nov Dec. Market is heading towards a saturation of ammo here in the next 4-6 months or so. CCI / Speer, Winchester, Federal, Fiocchi, etc. are all putting out ammo at record levels. At this point I intend to sit back and not purchase any factory ammo for a while.
View Quote

That's is possible, but we can't predict the future. Another mass shooting, a senate hearing, or the Pres. speaking out and it happens all over again. Anything that spooks the "herd" and it's stamped time.

The big question is where in the hell is all the .22 ammunition ?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:53:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I Still cant find 9mm in south eastern Michigan. If you do, it's ~18.99 a box of 50 for blazer brass. The ONE Walmart i went  had 1 white box Winchester for 17.99 for 50 and 1 box of a 100 for 54.99. Same price as the 40.
View Quote

At our walmart it's $14 to $15 a box of 50 or $27 a 100 rds. pack . The 100 rds. pack don't last to long but there are always a good supply of 50 rds. boxes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I am fortunate to live next to a GT Distributors. 9mm brass cased is $13.99 and I think the Blazer aluminum cased is $12.99 for 50.

I do need to invest in reloading, though. I hang onto a lot of brass.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#20]
22lr.  Haven't seen it in a year, Literally. Still can't find it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Your $1 is worth $.75 yes it's normal.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#22]
One gun shop I went in had Tula 9mm for $12.99 a box and walmart gets it in for $9.99. I know Tula is crap but my Glocks eat it. Im finding 9mm at walmart $14.99 fed 50 rnd. Not bad considering it was $28 a few months ago at the local gun show.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:58:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am suspecting inflation is much higher than the .gov number cookers will ever admit. Everything you NEED is going up food, ammo, booze and gasoline (long term not short term fluctuation).
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I am suspecting inflation is much higher than the .gov number cookers will ever admit. Everything you NEED is going up food, ammo, booze and gasoline (long term not short term fluctuation).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The .GOV often cooks the books to make the numbers appear better than it is seem.

BTW: If you think ammo is bad, BOTH pork and beef prices are headed north. Beef is the highest since in 1987.

The reason for being high beef priced is because of the drought, there is no grass.The ranchers are slaughtering their because they can't afford to feed them hay.

And pork is going up because there is a virus going around that is killing the piglets, they don't now how to cure or prevent it.

So in addition to high ammo price between brace yourself for high BBQ prices.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Once they see you will pay it...it won't go back down.

Gas is the same way....
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I don't esspect prices to go down much further.  It really is demand--at stratospheric, heretofore unseen levels.  People aren't just buying ammo, they're trying to buy 10 years' worth, a lifetime's worth. But manufacturers have responded accordingly so that is helping.  We all remember the first panic of 08/09, the mild one, and 18 months later prices had corrected significantly.  28-cent brass 223, 20-cent brass 9 mil, and (remember this?) 22 ammo was readily available at 20-25 dollars a brick.  Considering what had just happened and what was about to come, 2010 to 2012 were good times.  

Here we are nearly 18 months after the second panic and it's a damn sight different.  I have noticed lately though, just the last couple weeks, prices seem to have creeped down a couple pennies a round for 9 mil and 223.  This might be the bottom, or we might go a little lower.  But it doesn't take much, as we saw with 7N6, to send the herd into a stampede.  People got spooked after 2012 and have stayed spooked.  I'd buy all you can at these prices.
View Quote
If that really is the case then years down the road demand should be really really low, right?  Except for the new shooters there should be a huge percentage of people with plenty of ammo, it will take a ton of availability and cheap prices before they start using it up though.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Once people stop panic buying all the 9mm and boxes sit on shelves, the price will go down. It's called competition; if I see a box of Winchester for $13 and a box of Remington for $14 a box, I will buy the Winchester and the Remington will sit there. Remington will then try to undercut winchester and vice versa. This is what lowers prices. Right now there is a high demand and a low supply, so prices will remain high. It will take some time until all the idiots with a POS 9mm stop thinking the sky is falling.

We see the same thing with AR15 parts. The panic buying stopped and now I can get AR15 parts the cheapest I've seen in years. You can build a complete quality ar15 for less than $600. It would have been very hard to do that even before the 2008 panic.

Inflation will play a part of course, but that would only be 1.5% per year according to the .gov.

I wouldn't plan on the panic buying to stop anytime soon as the 2016 election is rounding the corner pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Ive picked up 9mm for around $10.50/50 shipped steel case from CTD a couple months back... bought a ton of it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I see it maybe going down to maybe $13 a box (decent quality brass cased), and $11 per being a black friday/other big sale price.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sam from SGA said a while back, the best I've heard it put.  A couple of years ago, when it was the cheapest in recent years, people got spoiled, and that wasn't realistic either.  There were just some sales, and big deals to be had in the industry, according to him, and I've not known him to lie.  So no it probably won't go down to .10 a round again anytime soon, but it will most likely go down some.  This is in pistol ammo, but mostly 9mm.  

Infinite, I realize who I am talking to, and respect your work a ton, but respectfully disagree.  It does go back down, it just takes time.  Case in point, people wanted $450 a K for .223, in 2008/09', and were getting it!.  Once it settled, we were paying $289 for brass like PMC. Sandy Hook, and all of it's glorious bullshit put a hurting on us for sure, one like we have never seen.  Yet still, ammo is now getting plenty available, and when saturation happens, people will eventually slow their buying, and prices will self regulate.  This has happened before, it just takes time.
View Quote

This is panic pricing you are referring to.

Since I've 'been into guns' starting in 2006, ammo has never dropped in price. Lets take Walmart for example, they don't fluctuate pricing based on panics (as we've all seen with .22 as of late). And their price for, lets say 9mm, has more than tripled since 2006. I blame it on inflation, myself.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK, SUPPLY and demand.

There, in a nutshell, you have the reason why ALL prices are where they're at.  There is no other magical pixie-dust reason.

Do you even free market, bro?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Since I've 'been into guns' starting in 2006, ammo has never dropped in price. Lets take Walmart for example, they don't fluctuate pricing based on panics (as we've all seen with .22 as of late). And their price for, lets say 9mm, has more than tripled since 2006. I blame it on inflation, myself.
View Quote

Even before panics, pricing on bulk packs of .22LR at Wally-World varied based on seasonality.  People would complain that they were $18 or $19 each spring when everyone wanted some, and forget to stock up at $13-$15 during the Winter when supply was well ahead of demand.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#33]
As long as demand keeps up, with supply being what it is, expect ~$15/50 to be the new norm for FMJ range ammo.  If demand drops off, expect to see more "sales" at $12-13 per 50.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:53:19 AM EDT
[#34]
rudeboi30, I live on the west side of MI and 9mm is everywhere for $15 a box for various FMJ loading's, $20 to $30 a box for the JHP stuff, and there is no amount restrictions, it is plentiful and always on the shelves, the Winchester 9mm NATO load is $16 a box at most locations near the Grand Rapids area. Most other brand name are available such as Blazer brass, Fiocchi, PMC, Maerican Eagle and so forth for usually a $1 less per 50rds. I just wonder what 40 practice ammo goes for in your part of the state.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#35]
At my walmart, where the neckbeards live, 9mm was $75 for 250 rds after tax  $.30/ rd

Before tax, 50 180gr .40's were 18.99 a box

TXL
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Bought 1000rds Wolf for $12.60/box delivered from AIM today
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
22lr.  Haven't seen it in a year, Literally. Still can't find it.
View Quote

I hear the military has switched over to 22lr.  Read it in GD a week ago...
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#38]
and also 22LR
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 5:51:17 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't like paying the extra shipping fees for ammo, but it's cheaper than driving store to store for weeks looking for ammo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
rudeboi30, I live on the west side of MI and 9mm is everywhere for $15 a box for various FMJ loading's, $20 to $30 a box for the JHP stuff, and there is no amount restrictions, it is plentiful and always on the shelves, the Winchester 9mm NATO load is $16 a box at most locations near the Grand Rapids area. Most other brand name are available such as Blazer brass, Fiocchi, PMC, Maerican Eagle and so forth for usually a $1 less per 50rds. I just wonder what 40 practice ammo goes for in your part of the state.
View Quote

Target ammo for 40 is maybe a dollar more or the same price.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#42]
A three-year supply of the stuff you ACTUALLY USE is the best formula for most recreational shooters.

Beyond that, and you are "preparing" for events which are very unlikely to occur, or which are at least not likely to occur in whatever vague manner you envisioned.

Think too about what you will do with all that shit if you ever decide to (or HAVE TO) move.
You'll only move a "SHTF" sized supply of ammo one time before you learn your lesson.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The reason for being high beef priced is because of the drought, there is no grass.The ranchers are slaughtering their because they can't afford to feed them hay.

View Quote

Truth.  My wife has horses.  Alfalfa has gotten f'in expensive over the past 2-3 years.  Was $3-4/bale several years ago, $7-8 a few years ago, and $14 these days.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Infinite, I realize who I am talking to, and respect your work a ton, but respectfully disagree.  It does go back down, it just takes time.  Case in point, people wanted $450 a K for .223, in 2008/09', and were getting it!.  Once it settled, we were paying $289 for brass like PMC. Sandy Hook, and all of it's glorious bullshit put a hurting on us for sure, one like we have never seen.  Yet still, ammo is now getting plenty available, and when saturation happens, people will eventually slow their buying, and prices will self regulate.  This has happened before, it just takes time.

In the mid 80s, brand name 9mm ran a little less than $10 a box.  It fell really far in price adjusted for inflation over the next 20 years.  You started shooting when ammo prices were pretty much the lowest in history.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Reloading costs for 9mm haven't gone up very much since 2009.  I am loading 124 gr 9 mm for about $6.00 a box at current component prices.  The high price of commercial ammo is much more demand than inflation.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#46]
FWIW, PSA has CCI Blazer Brass 115 gr. on sale for $12.99 per box. I picked up 500 rounds since it seems like a really good price considering prices these days.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Once they see you will pay it...it won't go back down.

Gas is the same way....
View Quote

TXL
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#48]
I was in a local WM last night, went buy the ammo counter for a quick glance and they had a healthy supply of 9MM, bit of a surprise as its still kind of hit and miss around here with 9....but the average price went $15-17, WWB, Federal.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I was in a local WM last night, went buy the ammo counter for a quick glance and they had a healthy supply of 9MM, bit of a surprise as its still kind of hit and miss around here with 9....but the average price went $15-17, WWB, Federal.
View Quote

Yeah.  Wal-Mart prices on centerfire ammo aren't good anymore.  I used to buy cheap 9mm for a supply of once fired for hardball target ammo.  You can do much better online than at Wal-Mart.   The only way to get reasonable prices on ammo is in bulk online now a days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top