Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2014 12:32:04 AM EDT
This isn't a handgun ammunition question but more one in general but I couldn't find any general ammunition area to ask.

Basically I know a gun will shoot differently with different kinds of ammo so if your gun doesn't shoot good groups with one you should try another.  What I'm wondering is if you take four new Gen 4 Glock 21's for example, not sequential just four pulled at random and shot them with the same ammo would they shoot the same?  As in have the same pattern size and such?

Same with AR's of the same kind or hunting rifles.  If you had 5 new rifles of the exact same model and caliber and one shot great with "type X" ammo would the other 4 shoot just as well with the same ammo? Or is it that every individual gun, even if they are the same as the next gun with the only exception being serial number, will shoot differently?

I was thinking that if the same model/caliber guns shot the same you could build a database of guns and what ammo they shoot best.  That way when someone buys a new gun they could look it up and try the top three or so instead of having to try several brands of ammo to see which works best.  It wouldn't help with used guns I don't think because the barrel wear being an unknown.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:51:16 AM EDT
[#1]
As a general rule all guns shoot differently.
Seems crazy but every gun is an individual and has it's own likes and dislikes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:32:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Each gun is an individual on what it likes, just like us.  Take five exact same cars off the lot and gas mileage will vary also, similar but not the same.

CD
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Each gun is an individual on what it likes, just like us.  Take five exact same cars off the lot and gas mileage will vary also, similar but not the same.

CD
View Quote
Both replies correct.

Many factors in accuracy. Barrel. Chamber.  Crown.   Bushing play.

All can have negative impact on any gun which may not be the same in the next example.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what I thought but had to ask, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes and No

I had / have 6 j frames .

M37 38spl.

M640 357mag
M649 357mag

M640 38spl +P
M637-1 38spl+P
M642-2 lock 38spl+P

All had a 158gr POA/POI using 158gr SWC or SWC HP

Both my LMT 14.5 prefer 77SMK over 75gr TAP/MATCH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top